Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Xbox One - Where Microsoft actually listens to consumers

Updated thread title.

Last edited by 3 Justin 3; 06-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
More importantly there have been some reports that now say the "always online connection" is not going to be apart of the new console.
I'm curious what their plan was and what is is now after they have seen all the negative feedback about "always online" since the rumors began. Who knows, maybe it never changed - we may never know.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be at Microsoft's Redmond campus on the 21st... I suspect the atmosphere in the place will be simply electric once the announcement hits.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Infinity? So what's the one after? Infinity+1? YBox?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Xbox Beyond
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Georg Cantor proved that there is more than one infinity, perhaps an infinity of infinities, so I nominate XBox Georg as the next console's title.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Google box
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i sure hope xbox creates more hype/excitement around what can achieved from a GAMING perspective than the Playstation announcement.

like the skillstick in NHL on the xbox360/PS3, i want to know what enhancements one can expect on the next gen that create more revolution than evolution.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The XBOX 360' was the clear winner of the last gen. However, in retrospect the LIVE experience was pricey. Although, at the time it was miles ahead of the free PS3 service and Nintendo service so I didn't mind paying.

For me, the machine better be significantly ahead of the new PS there better not be "always online" attached to me using this equipment. It will be a decision factor.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

It had better put a focus on games and what the system will do from a gaming perspective. I don't care what the social features of the system are nor do I care about it's multi-media playing capabilities. I've bought both the Xbox and the 360 on launch but I am seriously considering not buying any console this generation. Microsoft needs to come out of the gates with some great games. That would get me back onboard.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am guessing that Microsoft will go soft(er) on games than the PS4 show and heavy on social and "ruling" the living room this go around. They'll show more on games at E3.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

what demographic are they trying to hit with all this peripheral nonsense?

I guess i'm already in the "given customer" bucket (30 year old male, who grew up on NES/SNES that continues to game a bit).

However, i'm certain none of my ilk really care about facebook, twitter, etc, integraion. I suppose introducing all this is more for the current teenager demographic, but didn't realize they were the key users of social media either.

in any case, i only really care about 2 or 3 elements when considering the next gen:
1) $$$ - I was a PS2 guy, but the cheaper 360 option made the jump easier to do , and one i have been satisfied with.

2) Game quality/enhancements - sounds like the actual quality will be the same ( don't play any games that are limited to a single console, and don't see much difference of a game between consoles like NHL).

3) this Always online garbage.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I guess i'm already in the "given customer" bucket (30 year old male, who grew up on NES/SNES that continues to game a bit).

However, i'm certain none of my ilk really care about facebook, twitter, etc, integraion. I suppose introducing all this is more for the current teenager demographic, but didn't realize they were the key users of social media either.

in any case, i only really care about 2 or 3 elements when considering the next gen:
1) $$$ - I was a PS2 guy, but the cheaper 360 option made the jump easier to do , and one i have been satisfied with.

2) Game quality/enhancements - sounds like the actual quality will be the same ( don't play any games that are limited to a single console, and don't see much difference of a game between consoles like NHL).

I am pretty much in the same boat. I've owned a console in every generation since the SNES. To me, it all comes down to price and the games. If they don't show me some exciting exclusives and/or the cost is too great, I'll take the money that I'd use to buy a new console and throw it into my PC. I am already sitting on such a huge backlog of PC games that I am seriously questioning whether I should be buying any more.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The XBOX 360' was the clear winner of the last gen. However, in retrospect the LIVE experience was pricey. Although, at the time it was miles ahead of the free PS3 service and Nintendo service so I didn't mind paying.

For me, the machine better be significantly ahead of the new PS there better not be "always online" attached to me using this equipment. It will be a decision factor.
I'm not so sure the Xbox 360 has been the winner. While it had a huge gap on the PS at the start of the cycle, Sony has made up huge ground on the Xbox 360.

Older article: http://bgr.com/2012/11/16/sony-plays...es-70-million/

Not to mention that the Xbox has been a failure in Japan.

But really, if you want a clear winner. The Wii as of March 2013 has sold 99.84 million consoles worldwide.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I honestly don't know one person who uses social media with their gaming system. To me 3 things matter:

1) $$$, though less than it once did. It pisses me off though to have to pay just to use it online. $60 a year for the 5-10 year life cycle is another $300-600
2) familiarity (used to using the ps3 now), but for the right reasons I'd switch
3) What my friends have. The odd time I want to play NHL, etc with my friends is like to have the same system
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya this is me too, from the age to the PS1/2 to 360 jump. I've been toying with the idea of jumping back to PS next gen, but realistically as long as this new XBox platform seems fine, I'll probably stay just so I can play my 360 games on there when I feel like it without having to dig out the old system.

That said, if there's no backward capability, I'm probably PS bound.

EDIT: I just hope multi-player doesn't seem to be the main drive, I really don't give a crap about it. I've gamed it fairly regularly since I got my 360 five years ago, and I've still never even activated an XBox Live account.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya multiplayer is another thing i don't really care about. As an adult, i just don't have time to schedule play time with people. I use my xbox as time kill when i have the occassional hour when my wife isn't watching TV and the baby is asleep. i just want to be able to get on my console, play a few games of my madden/NHL be a GM modes, and call it a night. So offline gameplay quality is of utmost importance to me.

Last edited by bubbsy; 05-21-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I'm not so sure the Xbox 360 has been the winner. While it had a huge gap on the PS at the start of the cycle, Sony has made up huge ground on the Xbox 360.

Older article: http://bgr.com/2012/11/16/sony-plays...es-70-million/

Not to mention that the Xbox has been a failure in Japan.

But really, if you want a clear winner. The Wii as of March 2013 has sold 99.84 million consoles worldwide.
To be fair, Microsoft has increased their market share from 24 million Xbox units, to 76+ million 360s. I'd call that a huge success.

Sony on the other hand, has gone from 150 million PS2's to somewhere around 76 million PS3's.

According to this article, the PS3 is still 50k units shy of the amount of 360 units shipped. http://www.vgchartz.com/article/2509...t-behind-x360/

As for Japan, that's a market that doesn't really matter any more. They make up less than 18% of global console sales and that figure has been declining for years. Japan cares more about portable gaming than anything else.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
To be fair, Microsoft has increased their market share from 24 million Xbox units, to 76+ million 360s. I'd call that a huge success.

Sony on the other hand, has gone from 150 million PS2's to somewhere around 76 million PS3's.

According to this article, the PS3 is still 50k units shy of the amount of 360 units shipped. http://www.vgchartz.com/article/2509...t-behind-x360/

As for Japan, that's a market that doesn't really matter any more. They make up less than 18% of global console sales and that figure has been declining for years. Japan cares more about portable gaming than anything else.
Fair enough. I guess my point was less about the market share and more about the "clear" winner comment. This console generation has been quite a marathon, and I think you would be hard pressed to call either system a winner.

As for this one, there are too many games that I want to play on Xbox to not pick it up. Halo, Alan Wake (hopefully)Xbox summer arcade.

What I wish Xbox would do is offer something like Playstation plus, 17 bucks for 3 months and I get free games and discounts every month.

I seriously have no idea why Xbox live gets all the praise it does.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brand loyalty for consoles is stupid.

Give me the best value for my money and you will get my business.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote