Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Tablets - iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, XOOM & More

I posted something similar in the Apple Event thread but that thread has deviated already so I thought we should dedicated tablet thread. Think of it as a neutral zone for tablet discussions. Or a warzone. Whatever.

Here's something from the National Post that might help people see what's coming out.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had my eye on an Xoom, but read the reviews and it sounds like a half baked device. Plus it is more expensive, and doesn't have a wi-fi only model.

I am getting a 16GB iPad 2. I store my songs on my iphone, so only documents and movies will go on it. I can tether to my iphone when 3G needed. For $500 that is a good deal to me, especially with HDMI out.

My experience with Android is that it is really buggy, and too open for its own good. Every device has its own set of issues due to its open nature. My jailbroken iPhone is the best of both worlds, I think it is tough to beat.

Oh and Blackberry? Who cares. No apps, finally got a HTML browser, expensive, underwhelming hardware/software on their latest models. The smartest move they made is opening up to Android and that is not saying much.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I had my eye on an Xoom, but read the reviews and it sounds like a half baked device. Plus it is more expensive, and doesn't have a wi-fi only model.

I am getting a 16GB iPad 2. I store my songs on my iphone, so only documents and movies will go on it. I can tether to my iphone when 3G needed. For $500 that is a good deal to me, especially with HDMI out.

My experience with Android is that it is really buggy, and too open for its own good. Every device has its own set of issues due to its open nature. My jailbroken iPhone is the best of both worlds, I think it is tough to beat.

Oh and Blackberry? Who cares. No apps, finally got a HTML browser, expensive, underwhelming hardware/software on their latest models. The smartest move they made is opening up to Android and that is not saying much.
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/03...priced-at-539/

If this is true, the xoom won't be that much more then an ipad, plus this looks like a wifi only model as well. Actually, after checking the website, if this rumor is true, the Xoom (32gb) costs less then the wifi only ipad2 (599 USD).

As for your experience with android, which phones have you used? I have used 3, and the first one was the only one that seemed underdeveloped, but the other 2 (desire and Desire HD) have been wonderful and I have run into no bugs at all.

Last edited by Jing; 03-03-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Nook Color baby.

$200 on Ebay the other day. Too bad they wouldn't ship to Canada. Supposedly runs Honeycomb (Android 3.0) great. I've only got 2.1 on mine right now.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Nook Color baby.

$200 on Ebay the other day. Too bad they wouldn't ship to Canada. Supposedly runs Honeycomb (Android 3.0) great. I've only got 2.1 on mine right now.
Is it more than an eReader? It looks great for raiding but I didn't realize you could get apps on there too.

I'm also a little weary of Barnes & Noble as I've read the company isn't doing great. Though I'm sure they'll get a boost with Borders filing for bankruptcy.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/03...priced-at-539/

If this is true, the xoom won't be that much more then an ipad, plus this looks like a wifi only model as well. Actually, after checking the website, if this rumor is true, the Xoom (32gb) costs less then the wifi only ipad2 (599 USD).

As for your experience with android, which phones have you used? I have used 3, and the first one was the only one that seemed underdeveloped, but the other 2 (desire and Desire HD) have been wonderful and I have run into no bugs at all.
Ya, the problem with this is that it is a rumor. Turn back a week ago and look at all the iPad 2 rumors, some were right, most were false. So I won't hold my breath.

I really think Motorola/Android screwed up with this launch. I was so ready to buy one. However, you can see from the reviews that it was totally rushed to market. I owned a Galaxy S and I hated it. Only phone I have ever returned. The reason, totally rushed and half baked at launch.

I mean GPS did not even work on it, nor could I transfer songs to it easily. Yes, those have been fixed, but why should I pay for a product that won't be 100% out of the box? The Xoom, it is buggy, doesn't support flash right now, and 4G you need to send in to upgrade sometime in the future? Really? Also, WiFi only seems like a no brainier, why only one version at launch, is it really that hard to do? Now Apple rolls out their polished and diverse iPad 2 product line, and you have lost consumers for good. Thanks for coming out Motorola.

I am not an Apple fan boy, I have 2 PCs and an iPhone, but Android needs to polish their product a bit more for me to consider it.

Last edited by OldDutch; 03-03-2011 at 10:42 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that the Galaxy Tab 2 is so much bigger than the 1st Gen.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
sergei_makarov
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still no flash support from the iPad?!!
sergei_makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei_makarov View Post
Apple will never support flash, that was the whole idea of the App Store. That's what Apps are made for and it works very well. For example, instead of going to Beatport.com to buy my songs (which uses Flash) on my iDevice, I just download the App, buy my songs and enjoy the website customized for my phone.

I used to think that Apple didn't want flash because they couldn't make money selling Apps, but I now think Apple is on to something much bigger and forward thinking. Why do you think all these other devices are supporting Flash - BUT STILL scramble to catch up with the Apple App Store and it's apps. All these companies know that these "Apps" are becoming the primary place to connect to websites. Even websites are catching on quickly.

I wish the iPad had flash, but I don't care that it doesn't because it frankly never made a difference to me yet. Anything I need in Flash is available in the App Store. I've never had to spend 1 cent because of the absence of Flash on an iDevice.

Last edited by Lego Man; 03-04-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You're missing all the Asus tablets. They're easily the best ones I've seen yet. I'd love to throw Linux on one. Would be a great dev tablet, for sure.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...b01da639f6en02

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Skyfire browser for iOS will give you some support for Flash on the iPad. I've tried it out on my Touch and it worked (for video) but it isn't perfect.

I want a tablet but I don't need a tablet. So many options coming out this year that I might wait one more year before I get one. If I had to weigh the pros and cons right now...

Android apps are becoming known for being buggy and sloppy. Virus ridden apps are showing up all the time now too. This makes it hard for me to commit to a Android Tablet.

WebOS Tablets can be eliminated from my selection...for obvious reasons.

Windows 7 tablets, I assume, can be eliminated because it isn't really a touch style OS...like Windows 8 is suppose to be.

Full Adobe Flash support for iOS would make the iPad the ultimate tablet IMO...for right now anyway.

I personally think the Tablet market is a mess right now. Too many companies trying to rush products out.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Still no flash support from the xoom?!!
FYP.

Despite advertising it, the xoom still won't have flash until spring 2011. It seems that flash on mobile devices remains something of a hurdle. Some do it but it seems that the ones that do don't necessarily do it well. Perhaps I'm wrong on that ... I only go on what I hear on tech podcasts.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
FYP.

Despite advertising it, the xoom still won't have flash until spring 2011. It seems that flash on mobile devices remains something of a hurdle. Some do it but it seems that the ones that do don't necessarily do it well. Perhaps I'm wrong on that ... I only go on what I hear on tech podcasts.
The implementation of Flash on most devices, even relatively powerful computing devices is astonishingly poor.

It's hilarious to watch my MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM have it's RAM usage go through the roof when a Flash video is played, or watch my CPU go into overdrive and the fans start blasting so loud my office mates ask what's going on.

Now, port that to a mobile platform and see how well it works. If Adobe could get it's stuff together and provide a version of Flash for Mac that didn't try to kill the machine in the process and maybe Apple would consider Flash on iOS devices.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, random question time:

Does iOS (or OSX) support Silverlight?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Ok, random question time:

Does iOS (or OSX) support Silverlight?
Silverlight works on OSX... do not think its been ported to iOS... IIRC
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...lverlight.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Bent Wookie

Can those with a tablet tell me what they use it for? I can't help but think that I don't really NEED one although it would be fun to have around.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Can those with a tablet tell me what they use it for? I can't help but think that I don't really NEED one although it would be fun to have around.
No one NEEDS a tablet. Does it make some things easier? Definitely. But no one NEEDS one. We've lived without them prior to last year so unless you're a tablet builder, programer or designer you can probably keep doing what you're doing and will be OK.

That being said, I use my iPad for 90% of my reading materials. Books. Magazines. Comics. I surf the web and use it as my RSS reader. I play games on it. I bring it to meetings with clients if we're meeting somewhere without access to a computer (I don't have a laptop).
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is everyone crapping on RIM's Playbook compared to the other non apple tablets?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I might be looking at the playbook.

Rumoured price is supposed to be under $500. Is rumoured to have capability to not only run Blackberry apps but ALSO all Android Apps. People have been raving about how great the tablet OS is.

Honeycomb is also looking good, not to mention the new HP webOS tablets are also looking pretty cool.

As a tablet user i'm much more into being able to go to a website and use it instead of having to find an app to have the same functionality. I want a tablet to be more laptop then phone, i can already browse/do simple tasks on my phone just fine. ie. If i want to set my lines for fantasy football i want to go the site (which runs flash) and set my lines, not download some app to do the same thing.

Also regardless of what you may think or have heard having flash on my phone is fantastic. Slightly slows it down occasionally, but with a much faster tablet, i doubt i'll have any problems

My wife has an iPad. Great machine but most definitely not for me.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
For me the biggest bonus is having a tv screen portable enough to bring with me. Whether I'm eating breakfast, riding the train or going to bed a little early I've always got something I can prop up and be entertained.

The ease of getting in and out is something that's easy to overlook when you don't have one. Every morning I watch the mobile 3 minute version of the national over breakfast.

Vacation packing is now hilarious. One pocket of my bag is all I really need to bring movies, magazines, books and music.

Speaking of vacation I anticipate it coming in very handy for our next drive out to the okanagan with our kid. It's something that can be secured to the back of a headrest to display thomas, Caillou, the wiggles or whatever god-forsaken garbage keeps your kid from breathing fire. When they get a little older and start asking "are we there yet?" you can make them fire open the gps and let them see where they are. I'm sure that won't stop them from asking but a man can dream.

You can do any of these things on a laptop ... but do you? There's something about the tablet that causes you to do the things you always could but didn't. That's the key of the device imo. I'm not sure if it's the comfort of it, the size or the speed (or a combo of all 3 plus others), but it seems to do the trick.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote