Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #982
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
If they coast in the 2nd half they'll get spanked in the championship game against an in-form team.

You cant turn the intensity off for half a season and expect to win the big game in the end.
Yes of course, but it just won't be the same. Your motivation will be different if you're fighting for a spot in that final two vs. just staying in form. Strange format, though I do like that if a team has a poor first season, they can still have a chance in the 2nd season, which will keep their fans interested.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #983
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
So what incentive does the team that wins the first half have in the 2nd half? Seems ridiculous.
Assume if they win both halves then there is no playoff and they win the whole thing? Wouldn't that title mean a lot more than say winning the championship by having to win a playoff?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #984
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure if it was an article on the CPL website or a blog post from somewhere else but I read something last week that provided two reasons for the scheduling and format.

The two halves are uneven as they needed to get the qualifier for the CONCACAF League from the first three clubs. Breaking the season into two halves was a compromise between going with a traditional format that keeps league play meaningful and duly rewards the best team, and providing some of the end of season drama with which locals will be familiar. As someone who hates the concept of league play-offs, I think they found a good balance without rethinking the wheel.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #985
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Assume if they win both halves then there is no playoff and they win the whole thing? Wouldn't that title mean a lot more than say winning the championship by having to win a playoff?
No, if one team wins both halves they will have to play against the team with the second best overall record in a two game final. What I'd like to see is if one team has won both halves, let them play both games of the final at home.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #986
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

So it still boils down to a one-game showdown to determine the league champion. This is still not the euro-style league format. I don't understand what's the fascination in North America about the "winner takes all"-type playoffs. Yes, I know the playoffs are exciting, but this doesn't reward consistency. It rewards the teams that are on hot streaks or plain lucky...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote