Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #501
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone upgraded to Internet 300 and swapped to whatever the new modem is that is capable of these speeds via Shaw? Apparently the model used for 150 will not cut it for 300.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #502
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Has anyone upgraded to Internet 300 and swapped to whatever the new modem is that is capable of these speeds via Shaw? Apparently the model used for 150 will not cut it for 300.
It is a different modem yes.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #503
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
We went on a two year 150 Bluesky plan and 12 bundle TV pack with Shaw and have until next Feb or March 2019. Our bill including tax last month was $219. I find the price beyond ridiculous and don't mind cutting a lot of the tv channels. Has anyone renegotiated with Shaw around this point within a two year cycle? It almost would be cheaper paying the $20 dollar per month cancellation fee and renegotiate as a new customer.
I pay about $100 for that.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #504
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
It is a different modem yes.
Any idea on the manufacturer or model number?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #505
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Any idea on the manufacturer or model number?
https://www.shaw.ca/advanced-wifi-modem/

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14080

Last edited by Diemenz; 07-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #506
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone on SHAW having trouble hitting reddit? I did a tracert and all it brought back was what looked like to be a loop of various SHAW IPs. Reddit on my phone with WiFi doesn't work, but if I turn it off and use cell network it is fine.

Edit: Changed my LAN DNS to Google's servers and it's fine now. Must be SHAW DNS.

Last edited by woob; 07-25-2018 at 10:42 PM.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #507
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Anyone on SHAW having trouble hitting reddit? I did a tracert and all it brought back was what looked like to be a loop of various SHAW IPs. Reddit on my phone with WiFi doesn't work, but if I turn it off and use cell network it is fine.

Edit: Changed my LAN DNS to Google's servers and it's fine now. Must be SHAW DNS.
Changing dns like you did to google or openDNS will fix it. I was unaware of this option existing on the new Arris modem so I'm assuming your using your own router and have the arris in bridge mode.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #508
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Noticed today that ShawOpen networks no longer connect to Netflix or Prime Video, but IPTV services still worked. Running through a VPN solved it so they must be traffic shaping. Its worked flawlessly for years so an interesting development
Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #509
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Noticed today that ShawOpen networks no longer connect to Netflix or Prime Video, but IPTV services still worked. Running through a VPN solved it so they must be traffic shaping. Its worked flawlessly for years so an interesting development

You were able to run Netflix through a VPN? I thought they were trying to block VPNs and proxy servers.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #510
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You were able to run Netflix through a VPN? I thought they were trying to block VPNs and proxy servers.
They do, known IPs they block, so sometimes you may have to try a couple different servers to find one that doesn't have a blacklist IP. Took me one try.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #511
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
They do, known IPs they block, so sometimes you may have to try a couple different servers to find one that doesn't have a blacklist IP. Took me one try.
Interesting. I can't say that I have ever tried to use Netflix over ShawOpen, but it seems to be contrary to one of the main benefits to Shaw customers: preventing cellular data overages.

I'll have to test this out at lunch. I have a VPN to my house so I can compare, but ironically my traffic would be using more of Shaw's infrastructure if I tunnelled the traffic to my house and back to my device.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #512
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Upgraded to Bluesky and Internet 300.

really liking Bluesky so far, voice search works pretty well, live score tracking is neat, and the integration with Netflix works great

Internet 300 tested in at ~334 Mb/s down and 25 Mb/s up - quicker than advertised.

Gear is much smaller than the old gateway setup - makes it easier to fit into my home system.
Esoteric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #513
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Interesting. I can't say that I have ever tried to use Netflix over ShawOpen, but it seems to be contrary to one of the main benefits to Shaw customers: preventing cellular data overages.

I'll have to test this out at lunch. I have a VPN to my house so I can compare, but ironically my traffic would be using more of Shaw's infrastructure if I tunnelled the traffic to my house and back to my device.
For sure, it's one of the reasons I stay with Shaw, so it's kind of too bad I'm having to make a work a round for something but the alternative is nothing so..... I don't think it's so much a Shaw infrastructure concern so much as people saturating a public spots bandwidth. I've speed tested to 40Mbps on open, which is really good for a public spot. If you can tunnel back to your home service that's a decent workaround for sure.

I will need to try and see if vpn to a Canadian IP will cause the Netflix error to come up, as I'm not circumventing geoblocking that way, which is the main reason for the error.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #514
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For sure, it's one of the reasons I stay with Shaw, so it's kind of too bad I'm having to make a work a round for something but the alternative is nothing so..... I don't think it's so much a Shaw infrastructure concern so much as people saturating a public spots bandwidth. I've speed tested to 40Mbps on open, which is really good for a public spot. If you can tunnel back to your home service that's a decent workaround for sure.

I will need to try and see if vpn to a Canadian IP will cause the Netflix error to come up, as I'm not circumventing geoblocking that way, which is the main reason for the error.
I wonder if / hope that maybe it was a temporary issue and not necessarily traffic shaping. Shaw even boasts on the main Shaw Go page that Shaw customers can save 6 gigs and $50 worth of overages each month.

The whole concept around ShawGo is that it can save Shaw customers a bunch of data/money while away from home, so I'd be surprised and disappointed if they've taken that step. It also keeps some money out of the pockets of the competition by preventing overages.

I use it but don't rely on ShawGo because I've got a 10 gig plan for $60/month. But I really like the concept of it.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #515
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if / hope that maybe it was a temporary issue and not necessarily traffic shaping. Shaw even boasts on the main Shaw Go page that Shaw customers can save 6 gigs and $50 worth of overages each month.

The whole concept around ShawGo is that it can save Shaw customers a bunch of data/money while away from home, so I'd be surprised and disappointed if they've taken that step. It also keeps some money out of the pockets of the competition by preventing overages.

I use it but don't rely on ShawGo because I've got a 10 gig plan for $60/month. But I really like the concept of it.
I can burn through 10 gigs pretty fast, I'm on the same plan. I rely on open while I'm at work to prevent that from happening!
Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #516
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can burn through 10 gigs pretty fast, I'm on the same plan. I rely on open while I'm at work to prevent that from happening!
I connected to a couple of ShawOpen and Shaw Passpoint hotspots at lunch and Netflix fired up and played a couple of shows just fine. No VPN trickery needed. So perhaps the issue is/was temporary?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #517
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I connected to a couple of ShawOpen and Shaw Passpoint hotspots at lunch and Netflix fired up and played a couple of shows just fine. No VPN trickery needed. So perhaps the issue is/was temporary?
Still not working without VPN in my spot. Maybe location specific?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #518
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still not working without VPN in my spot. Maybe location specific?
Perhaps. I was testing over at the Currie Barracks area. Have you entered a custom DNS on your device for the ShawOpen network? Maybe that's persisted and is now getting blocked by the content providers.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #519
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps. I was testing over at the Currie Barracks area. Have you entered a custom DNS on your device for the ShawOpen network? Maybe that's persisted and is now getting blocked by the content providers.
I haven't, and I'm not sure how to do that on a fire stick tbh
I don't know if that's the issue though, you'd think it would throw an error at you if that was the case. What happens is that it won't even make it to the profile screen and if left long enough gives the network connectivity error
Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #520
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just tried ShawOpen in the NE and I was able to connect to Netflix fine and stream a movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: