Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #481
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prices have gone insane. Trying to set my mom up with basic internet but can’t justify $80 a month for Shaw 15. Might have to go with teksavvy, but will have to buy a modem and router. Telus isn’t available here. Any other suggestions?
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #482
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Prices have gone insane. Trying to set my mom up with basic internet but can’t justify $80 a month for Shaw 15. Might have to go with teksavvy, but will have to buy a modem and router. Telus isn’t available here. Any other suggestions?
How basic is basic? Instant messaging, emails with a pic or two, random face time and a few websites? or significant Youtube and uploading to facebook/instagram etc.?

If the usage is low enough, how's the cell reception at your mom's place? Could a data only sim card work without significant overages? (ie: $10/GB)

ie: Fido has a data only sim 3GB/month for $15 a month. I'm sure other carriers have options too. The only issue you'd need to deal with is setting up tethering/wifi and making sure to teach your mom how to use it.

You don't need to buy those hot spot modules. An older phone or tablet you have lying around should work well enough. Worst case scenario, a Blackberry Leap is $80-90 on Amazon and it should work well enough as a hot spot module that doesn't cost $150-200 ish.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #483
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
$129 with internet or is that just TV?
Sorry, 129 for cable including all TSN/ Sportsnet, and Internet 150, would be $10 less for Internet 75. I'm losing a few channels but all I really want is basic and sports.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #484
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Just called Shaw as my Internet 150 promo is almost up, and got an offer of $129 for basic cable but including sports channels for $129 for 2 years- I have been with Shaw for since 97 and use my Shaw.ca Email address as well as the Shaw open Wifi lots (and I have 2 PVRs)

Makes it tough to change to a lower cost provider, as their TV offerings are not nearly as good even with cheaper equal quality internet. Will do a little more research in the next few weeks
Assuming that includes Internet 150 - that's pretty much the old deal everyone had with Shaw. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #485
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Assuming that includes Internet 150 - that's pretty much the old deal everyone had with Shaw. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement.
I think it depends on who you talk to. The lady I got gave me large TV, internet 150, and movie central for $115 for a year.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #486
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^Are you in the Telus high speed delivery area?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #487
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #488
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^It makes a big difference as they offer a comparable service with all the goodies, and Shaw has cheat sheet to know which customer has this option. I have a pretty good deal with them but I want to remove services and move down to Large,150, and perhaps HBO/MOvies but i can do without the movies.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #489
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm paying $140 for 150 and a slightly bigger package with channels I don't watch- I wish I had the courage to cut the cord already but I still like to flip channels for some reason. I was just happy to save $240 a year, I might call back and see if I can do better.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #490
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I had steadily degrading speeds for a while but it was less painful than the thought of calling in. I discovered you can use support chat on the app which for me is better. Dude cycled through a bunch of stuff and after about 20 mins they had me back up to 150. They also sent a tech who replaced some of the old coax connectors at the wall and in the basement. Basically replacing stuff that was worn and dated. Dunno if it mattered, but he seemed to think it was useful.
I've had a tech out as well, and he changed a few things and when he left I had 150 on hardwire and over around 100 on wifi, but of course a couple months later things are right back where they were before with intermittent drops to sub 10. I've only noticed this in the evenings, but of course that is the time when I use it the most as well.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #491
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Go with Techsavvy. They put in a $99 modem and I put in a router. You could get a $30 one off Amazon.

The 5 mbps package was not enough for netflix so I bumped them to 25. Works fine for $32.50/mo
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #492
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Sorry, 129 for cable including all TSN/ Sportsnet, and Internet 150, would be $10 less for Internet 75. I'm losing a few channels but all I really want is basic and sports.
kinda the deal that I am looking for
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #493
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions. She’s on virgin mobile so I’ll see what kind of data plan I can get added to her phone. If not I’ll go with teksavvy.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #494
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went on chat last night and was able to get 300 & BlueSky small with 5 packs on a 2 year term for $127 a month. That’s $45 less then I was paying with the gateway system and 150 (and I owned all the equipment) so even though it’s not a burning deal like some have gotten I am happy. Install is next week.

As an FYI I normally get 170-180 down currently.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #495
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bah, I just renewed 150 on 2 years less than a month ago and now there's this 300 plan. :| Looks like my bill will get ####ed around again until the new billing settles in if I upgrade once again.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #496
Allos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My 2 years contract will be up by Aug 3. Chatted with Shaw. Told them I don't want TV (bought an HDTV antenna. Now have CTV/ CBC/ Global with occasional hiccups. Going to see if I can get Flames games with Gamecenter...)

They initially offered $85 for Internet 150 with 2 years contract. I asked them if this is the best. Then they offered $70 for Internet 150 with 2 years contract.

Do you guys think price is good? I want to stick with Shaw as I quite like ShawOpen, and Telus doesn't have fiber yet in Edgemont.
Allos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #497
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

70 a month for 150 2 years is pretty good
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #498
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allos View Post
My 2 years contract will be up by Aug 3. Chatted with Shaw. Told them I don't want TV (bought an HDTV antenna. Now have CTV/ CBC/ Global with occasional hiccups. Going to see if I can get Flames games with Gamecenter...)

They initially offered $85 for Internet 150 with 2 years contract. I asked them if this is the best. Then they offered $70 for Internet 150 with 2 years contract.

Do you guys think price is good? I want to stick with Shaw as I quite like ShawOpen, and Telus doesn't have fiber yet in Edgemont.
I don't think $70 is anything special considering that is TekSavvy's standard price for 150 service (per the above posts)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #499
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We went on a two year 150 Bluesky plan and 12 bundle TV pack with Shaw and have until next Feb or March 2019. Our bill including tax last month was $219. I find the price beyond ridiculous and don't mind cutting a lot of the tv channels. Has anyone renegotiated with Shaw around this point within a two year cycle? It almost would be cheaper paying the $20 dollar per month cancellation fee and renegotiate as a new customer.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #500
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
We went on a two year 150 Bluesky plan and 12 bundle TV pack with Shaw and have until next Feb or March 2019. Our bill including tax last month was $219. I find the price beyond ridiculous and don't mind cutting a lot of the tv channels. Has anyone renegotiated with Shaw around this point within a two year cycle? It almost would be cheaper paying the $20 dollar per month cancellation fee and renegotiate as a new customer.
Fine print on their contracts says that you need to keep the minimum speed and minimum tv package. Call away. Worse thing that can happen is they say no. I would imagine however that going to the small tv package should get you into $150 territory on BlueSky which would be a nice savings for you.