Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 06:49 PM   #1761
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Flames approached Markstrom when NJD group said they would consider Mercer in the package, However once they got confirmation he would waive they didn’t include him in a package going forward with or without retention. They thought it would pressure the flames into taken a weaker return.

Flames refused to listen on a package at the time that included Holtz+. That + never included a guaranteed 2024 1st. Just conditional picks based on Salary retention and team performance.
If jersey really did pull that crap, I’d love to see a team like the Flyers make a decent offer for him so the Devils would have to deal with him in their own backyard
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:49 PM   #1762
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Flames approached Markstrom when NJD group said they would consider Mercer in the package, However once they got confirmation he would waive they didn’t include him in a package going forward with or without retention. They thought it would pressure the flames into taken a weaker return.

Flames refused to listen on a package at the time that included Holtz+. That + never included a guaranteed 2024 1st. Just conditional picks based on Salary retention and team performance.
Fitz is a clown. Good luck dealing with other GMs when you pull stuff like that
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:56 PM   #1763
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
Well, even though his value will be lower than it was at the deadline and there's a limited amount of potential trade partners, the biggest positive is this can be a catalyst for Wolf moving into the #1 spot.

If I had to guess I would have these teams down as being most interested:
  • New Jersey
  • Toronto
  • Colorado
  • Los Angeles
  • Buffalo
  • Philadelphia
Philly won't be looking. They just inked Fedotov to a 2 year deal worth 6.5m. and they have Errsson too.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:07 PM   #1764
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Would suck if we could have got a 1st in the spring. Don't think that's happening anymore.
Yeah I feel like the return was always going to shrink in off season. Trade deadline is silly season, that's when you get a huge return for a 35 year old goalie that's playing hot at the time.

Off season will bring more patience, more thought and more options. 2nd and a decent prospect would be nice. None of this 10th overall from new jersey nonsense that's being suggested here on CP.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:55 PM   #1765
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize Calgary had all the sad Swedes. I would add a picture of sad Swedish Chef but I'm old.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:58 PM   #1766
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah I feel like the return was always going to shrink in off season. Trade deadline is silly season, that's when you get a huge return for a 35 year old goalie that's playing hot at the time.

Off season will bring more patience, more thought and more options. 2nd and a decent prospect would be nice. None of this 10th overall from new jersey nonsense that's being suggested here on CP.
Sounds like Fitzgerald offered whatever based on past deals, and he felt he was being taken advantage of for being desperate.

It really feels like the 1st rounder wasn’t in play.

I find it hard to believe after hearing Conroy he wouldn’t have taken a 1st plus based on him saying how hard it is to get picks.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 PM   #1767
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I didn't realize Calgary had all the sad Swedes. I would add a picture of sad Swedish Chef but I'm old.
Yeah
Get rid of anyone who doesn’t want to be here
Last offseason we had two that weren’t having fun and we made one of them captain for Christ sake. Good message to send.
This offseason markstrom wants out and wasn’t there some speculation after locker cleanup day that Andersson wasn’t super pleased also?
Send all 3 of them away and ask if anyone else wants out. We are gonna need full commitment from players and fans if this rebuild is going to succeed. If there’s butts in the seats ownership won’t complain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 PM   #1768
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Sounds like Fitzgerald offered whatever based on past deals, and he felt he was being taken advantage of for being desperate.

It really feels like the 1st rounder wasn’t in play.

I find it hard to believe after hearing Conroy he wouldn’t have taken a 1st plus based on him saying how hard it is to get picks.
I bet Holtz was the centre piece and the pick was a 2nd or 3rd from 2024 or 2025.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 PM   #1769
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Yeah
Last offseason we had two that weren’t having fun and we made one of them captain for Christ sake. Good message to send.
This offseason markstrom wants out and wasn’t there some speculation after locker cleanup day that Andersson wasn’t super pleased also?
Send all 3 of them away and ask if anyone else wants out. We are gonna need full commitment from players and fans if this rebuild is going to succeed. If there’s butts in the seats ownership won’t complain
Yeah. Hopefully everyone was clear and honest in their exit interviews. And hopefully Conroy was candid with everyone as well. It can’t be a response of “Well, if we get better this year, I want to be here.” It has to be “I want to be here. I want to be a part of this team now and in the future.” I wouldn’t want any ambiguity in the response. Conroy doesn’t want them to be bad next season but he’s trying to get this team younger and open up opportunities for young players to succeed along with the veterans that stay. He just has to be clear that he wants players who want to be here and he doesn’t want players whining to the media in December/January or through their agents if things don’t go well. That doesn’t help this team. The team is going to be younger and he wants leaders that hate to lose but also want to be part of the solution by being a good example for the young players. Rifts in the room or pouting will be of no help to this team. If you can’t handle that as a player, say it now and Conroy will find a new home for you. With the exception of Huberdeau, conroy could get some level of value for virtually any player on this roster.

Last edited by stemit14; 04-23-2024 at 09:32 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:35 PM   #1770
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Yeah
Wasn't the word that Backlund had asked for a trade 2 off seasons in a row?
Old 04-23-2024, 09:39 PM   #1771
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Wasn't the word that Backlund had asked for a trade 2 off seasons in a row?
Captain my captain!!
Old 04-23-2024, 09:45 PM   #1772
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet Holtz was the centre piece and the pick was a 2nd or 3rd from 2024 or 2025.
Seems like. Would assume other teams may offer the same, maybe more pick and prospect base.

The talk of the 1st and Holtz made the trade an overpay and that’s why I felt at the time we should do it if that was the deal. Jersey probably doesn’t make it even with Markstrom.

Oh well. What can you. Will be interesting to what we get back.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:54 PM   #1773
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have heard from multiple sources the deal would have been Holtz and a 2025 1st (protected) for Markstrom with retention and another player that I suspect was Rooney but cannot confirm that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:54 PM   #1774
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably.

And I will bet that Conroy regrets not taking that.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 PM   #1775
Rhett44
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have heard from multiple sources the deal would have been Holtz and a 2025 1st (protected) for Markstrom with retention and another player that I suspect was Rooney but cannot confirm that.
What a disaster for the Flames if that is the case.

I don't think we get anything near that value in the off season.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhett44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 PM   #1776
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Probably.

And I will bet that Conroy regrets not taking that.
I will take that bet. Goalie value has increased over last season and I don't expect that to change. Despite the narrative being pushed by team Doom And Gloom in the last few pages I still think Markstrom has pretty high value this offseason.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:59 PM   #1777
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
What a disaster for the Flames if that is the case.

I don't think we get anything near that value in the off season.
I do. They might even do better depending on how some things turn out in the playoffs and more teams get involved.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #1778
Rhett44
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I will take that bet. Goalie value has increased over last season and I don't expect that to change. Despite the narrative being pushed by team Doom And Gloom in the last few pages I still think Markstrom has pretty high value this offseason.
I would be completely shocked if we got anything near that value for Markstrom now. We should have sold high. He isn't worth what he was now, in my opinion.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:03 PM   #1779
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would be completely shocked if we got anything near that value for Markstrom now. We should have sold high. He isn't worth what he was now, in my opinion.
Prepare to be shocked then. Like I said, there is still a lot of interest in Markstrom according to what's out there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:06 PM   #1780
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Look at it this way at this point. Whatever the return is now (a pick? Prospect? Both?), we will be getting rid of someone who doesn’t want to be here for whatever reason and gaining those assets and 6M in cap space and still have 2 goalies
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good