Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-...lames-tkachuk/

Sabres blog proposing

Eichel+Risto
For
Tkachuk+Gaudreau
If Gaudreau made it known to the Flames he wasn't going to re-sign then I don't hate it. But I'd much rather target Reinhart than Risto
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #12262
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
That would leave us with no top 6 wingers unless Monahan or Backlund is moved for one.

Don't hate it though. Eichel>Gaudreau/Tkachuk>Ristolainen
Lindholm has had a ton of success on the wing and Mangiapane is a top 6 forward. I would like to hold onto Gaudreau if we could but what I like about this deal is it costs the Flames no futures.

Maybe Monahan could be flipped for a wing or with 3 strong RHD with Tanev, Andersson and Ristolinen maybe one of them could be flipped for a winger?
Old 05-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #12263
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we need another top 4 RHD, would want that to be a 3-way deal
Old 05-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #12264
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon24

Quote:

Sabres blog proposing

Eichel+Risto
For
Tkachuk+Gaudreau
That doesn’t make sense for both Buffalo and Calgary to be honest.

Are we flipping Tanev? Andersson? Risto, imo, is the 3rd best RD of those three, so unless he is playing on his off side then I don’t really want him. Gaudreau would dip out of Buffalo the minute he was able to. I think you need a third party regarding Gaudreau and/or Risto, a team like Philly could use either one or both.

I know we get Eichel, but don’t like the idea of giving away both of our top LW’s. Replace Gaudreau with Monahan.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #12265
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lindholm has had a ton of success on the wing and Mangiapane is a top 6 forward. I would like to hold onto Gaudreau if we could but what I like about this deal is it costs the Flames no futures.

Maybe Monahan could be flipped for a wing or with 3 strong RHD with Tanev, Andersson and Ristolinen maybe one of them could be flipped for a winger?
Ideally I would like Eichel - Lindholm - Backlund/Monahan as the centers. Maybe Monahan can become a winger in that scenario?

Eichel and Lindholm as the top 2 centers is contender center depth in my opinion.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #12266
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I mean, did anybody KNOW what Bergeron and O’Reilly were before they played in the NHL??? Drafted waaaaaay after Zary.

But yeah, he ‘could be Jankowski’. Hell of a point.
In the case of Bergeron and O’Reilly, I don’t think these guys are the elite, dynamic, game breakers types that scouts couldn’t miss. But these types of high IQ, 2 way players mixed in with the right environment can flourish. O’Reilly is the perfect example, stunk it up in Buffalo because that team was shallow, culture-less and riddled with flaws. He then goes to St Louis where they have a culture and an identity and have depth. All St Louis ever needed was that perfect #1 center for them and he fit like a glove. Hard to play against, defensively sound, perfect compliment to the skilled players on that team.

I think the Flames can sort of get there, but they need a new second line badly. To always rely on one scoring line like they’ve typically had to for years (actually decades) is such a recipe for failure.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #12267
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Sabres blog proposing

Eichel+Risto
For
Tkachuk+Gaudreau
I don’t think this trade makes sense at all for both teams.

It also puts the Flames in a similar situation going into this season. Lots of centers, not enough wingers and a 4 brand new lines. What happens if it takes the Flames more than half the season again to figure out what they have.

The more proposals I see, the more I dislike the idea of going after Jack Eichel. I mean I’d like a true #1 center, but I don’t want a true #1 center just to say I have a true #1 center. It has to mean something in the wins and losses column and I don’t know if trading your 2 best game breakers for a better game breaker actually helps the Flames get anywhere.

If anything, we’ll just be the Buffalo Sabres west. Then if Jack Eichel goes down with an injury, the Flames all of a sudden drop to the level of a basement team. I think it’s too much risk to put the entire state of the franchise on one guy who has never played a full 82 game season and who’s coming off serious neck surgery.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #12268
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Sabres blog proposing

Eichel+Risto
For
Tkachuk+Gaudreau
If that is actually a deal that is on the table, I would do it hands down to get Eichel. Ristolainen only has one year left, so I don't hate that contract too much. I feel we could then try to bargain shop for wingers to replace Tkachuk and Gaudreau. I think there's a much better chance of getting effective wingers for cheap than getting a number 1 centre for cheap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #12269
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still don't like the idea to trade for Eichel or the retooling option. For me retool doesn't work if you don't have 2-3 core players and if you not an attractive team to play.
Because it's Calgary flames it's difficult to sign good FA, or even to trade for top players as they usually block the trade to us. Didn't our GM tried to make a trade last offseason and get rejected by the player? Even Toronto couldn't win when they tried to retool many years.
If we trade for Eichel, but loose Tkachuk, Gaudreau or high draft pick we will be still an average team.
So in my opinion rebuild has more chance to become the contender if we can draft top 3 next 2-3 years. Trade all the players for the maximum return this offseason and next season and collect draft picks and prospects.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #12270
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I still don't like the idea to trade for Eichel or the retooling option. For me retool doesn't work if you don't have 2-3 core players and if you not an attractive team to play.
Because it's Calgary flames it's difficult to sign good FA, or even to trade for top players as they usually block the trade to us. Didn't our GM tried to make a trade last offseason and get rejected by the player? Even Toronto couldn't win when they tried to retool many years.
If we trade for Eichel, but loose Tkachuk, Gaudreau or high draft pick we will be still an average team.
So in my opinion rebuild has more chance to become the contender if we can draft top 3 next 2-3 years. Trade all the players for the maximum return this offseason and next season and collect draft picks and prospects.

It simply won’t happen unless they completely clear house starting with Sutter which we know is not going to happen. There is no tear down rebuild on the horizon for the next season and maybe if next year goes off the rails like this year they will go that route but it won’t happen this summer.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #12271
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This was a trade scenario put forth by the Athletic's Buffalo writer yesterday
Quote:
Calgary sends right winger Matthew Tkachuk, center prospect Connor Zary and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel
Tkachuk becomes the new face of the franchise, a true power forward who had a 34-goal season and two 20-plus goal campaigns. The 23-year-old adds a physical fearlessness that Buffalo lacks. He’s signed for one more season at $7 million and is a restricted free agent after that, giving the Sabres a long-term cornerstone.

Zary was the Flames’ first-round pick last year. The 19-year-old put up seven points in nine AHL games then returned to the Western Hockey League and recorded 24 points in 15 games. While he’s not ready to fill Eichel’s skates, he has top-six potential in a few years.

A deal with the Flames would help in the short and long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #12272
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
That trade works for me.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #12273
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd do that for sure. You basically swap 2 years of Chucky for 5 years of Eichel at the cost of Zary and a 1st. And you get to keep Johnny to play with Eichel.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #12274
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes please.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #12275
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For 5 years of Eichel I do it all day
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #12276
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If only there was a way to keep Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Lindholm while adding Eichel, then I think this team would reach the next level. 40+ minutes of constant offensive zone forays and scoring chances. This team would be very very difficult to beat at that point, especially if they’re constantly only allowing 1-2 goals per game.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #12277
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could even move Monahan to the wing.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane
Monahan - Lindholm - Dube
M. Lucic - Backlund -

Elite center depth IMO
Old 05-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #12278
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't quote but Tkachuk is the only way the Flames land Eichel and that's only if the Sabres don't want futures.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #12279
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
If only there was a way to keep Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Lindholm while adding Eichel, then I think this team would reach the next level. 40+ minutes of constant offensive zone forays and scoring chances. This team would be very very difficult to beat at that point, especially if they’re constantly only allowing 1-2 goals per game.
Let’s add a couple wingers for the top six as well. Maybe Kucherov and Stone.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #12280
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You could even move Monahan to the wing.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane
Monahan - Lindholm - Dube
M. Lucic - Backlund -

Elite center depth IMO
Doesn’t this sort of put the Flames in a similar situation to the start of this season? I mean it obviously looks better on paper, but we all thought the new lines looked good on paper going into this season and failed spectacularly.

I think if the goal is to have a high ene second line, I’m not sure that a Monahan-Lindholm-Dube does anything for us. We don’t know what Monahan can do from the wing position and we’ve seen the Lindholm + Dube duo together and they looked incredibly average.

If only there was a way to create a line up like this instead:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
________-Eichel-_________
Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube
Closed Thread