Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #1721
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Businesses shouldn't be allowed to park commercial vehicles in residential areas.
I don't think it can be that broad of a brush. Not everybody is ATCO. There are plenty of people who have business trucks/vans (trades, small businesses etc) who park at home or because they don't have/need a physical business address for one reason or another. Are they supposed to not be able to park in a residential area simply because there's a logo on their truck? Do you want them to get another car for the sole reason of driving to it?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #1722
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Are you guys for real? How does this "annoy" you? How is parking legally parking a truck "trashy"? One of his neighbours works for ATCO and drives a fleet truck; I'm picturing something like this:

From mrkajz44's description it's not in the way, it's not parked illegally; again, the crux of the issue seems to be a subjective judgement that "it's big and ugly and I don't want to look at it".

What's the male equivalent of a 'Karen'?
A logoed up work vehicle is the equivalent of a billboard parked in front of my house. Commercial vehicles should be parked in commercial parking lots like 99% of them are. I'm in the foothills industrial park looking out my window as I type this. I can see about a dozen commercial vehicles from where I'm sitting. Each and every single one of them would look like #### parked in front of my house. This Atco guy should leave his truck at work and drive to pick it up in the morning.

A pick-up truck is potentially fine, but not a big flatbed and definitely not in front of other people's houses. Put that #### in front of your own if you don't have a problem with it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #1723
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I don't think it can be that broad of a brush. Not everybody is ATCO. There are plenty of people who have business trucks/vans (trades, small businesses etc) who park at home or because they don't have/need a physical business address for one reason or another. Are they supposed to not be able to park in a residential area simply because there's a logo on their truck? Do you want them to get another car for the sole reason of driving to it?
I think pick-ups, vans etc. are fine because they are vehicles that are at home in residential neighbourhoods already. A big logoed flatbed truck plastered with Atco logos? Definitely not okay and particularly rude when you're putting it front of somebody else's house and not your own. Small, single-operator businesses with a company vehicle are just fine IMO, but not a large corporation.

I also don't like when somebody is operating a business like a landscaping business and they have three or four trucks and a trailer with like a bobcat or something parked in front of their house everyday. Fata that, I'm calling bylaw. One little Ford Transit for your dog poo cleaning business? I have zero problem with that and, in fact, find it kind of interesting to know what you do.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #1724
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that this is your response:

... leads me to believe you're one of those tailgating ###holes. It's pretty much the only reason anyone ever pulls onto the shoulder: they're trying to tell you, "Alright ###hole if you want to pass me pass me, but otherwise I'm not going to watch your grille in my rear-view mirror for the next ___ kilometres. Pass me or back off."
Well, again, you'd be wrong. I'm concerned you're a bad driver creating dangerous situations since you're absolutely unable to understand the problems with the simple scenario I described.

Nobody should pull over to the shoulder unless they absolutely have to and they're going to stop for something important. You can't pass somebody until there is a dotted line, so you are stuck behind a slower driver until it's legal to pass. Pulling into the shoulder and maintaining speed isn't safe for anybody and I'm not going to pass unless there is a dotted line.

I'll pass when it's safe. You worry about staying in your lane and doing whatever the fata you want. I'll pass the millisecond it's safe to do so. You getting in the shoulder doesn't affect what I'm going to do or the timing of my pass one iota.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #1725
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commercial trucks parking wherever they want is definitely getting out of hand.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560370751676420096
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #1726
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just the fact that the guy intentionally parked it away from his own house tells you everything you need to know - even HE doesn't want the thing on his doorstep.

In my case the curb isn't that close to me so it's not that big a deal if someone parks a work truck there, but most houses that's not the case... and that's leaving aside the fact that I might, you know, want to park in front of my own house sometimes for convenience.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #1727
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a semi truck(no trailer)? Are those OK on a residential street, even without company logos? Asking for as neighbour...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #1728
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Hamilton jerseys in my closet RGMG…
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #1729
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can legally pass on a solid yellow line.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #1730
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Really?
Old 08-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #1731
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, again, you'd be wrong.

Am I though...?

Quote:
I'm concerned you're a bad driver creating dangerous situations since you're absolutely unable to understand the problems with the simple scenario I described.

Nobody should pull over to the shoulder unless they absolutely have to and they're going to stop for something important. You can't pass somebody until there is a dotted line, so you are stuck behind a slower driver until it's legal to pass. Pulling into the shoulder and maintaining speed isn't safe for anybody and I'm not going to pass unless there is a dotted line.
What the #### do you care about "legal"? You were just arguing that going 30 km/h over the speed limit is perfectly safe.

Quote:
I'll pass when it's safe. You worry about staying in your lane and doing whatever the fata you want. I'll pass the millisecond it's safe to do so. You getting in the shoulder doesn't affect what I'm going to do or the timing of my pass one iota.
Kicking up rocks from the shoulder probably got you to back the #### off though, didn't it?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #1732
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man when did (most) radio show hosts get so lazy? I swear 90% of them now are just “text or call us with your stories about how your dog farted some time” or some other dumb topic, then they spend the next 30 mins reading random people’s uninteresting stories. I know it’s not a high paying job but kudos to the one putting effort in to at least putting some actual content out.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:10 PM   #1733
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Really?
Kind of, but also no.

Quote:
ALBERTA REGULATION 304/2002
Traffic Safety Act
USE OF HIGHWAY AND RULES OF THE ROAD REGULATION

Rules for traffic lanes
15(1) When operating a vehicle on a highway,

(a) in the case where double solid lines exist between traffic lanes, a person shall not drive the vehicle so that the vehicle or any portion of the vehicle crosses the double solid lines from one traffic lane to another;

(b) in the case of a highway in an urban area where a single solid line only exists between traffic lanes, a person shall not drive the vehicle so that the vehicle or any portion of the vehicle crosses the single solid line from one traffic lane to another except when overtaking and passing another vehicle;

(c) in the case of a highway outside an urban area where a single solid line only exists between traffic lanes, a person shall not drive the vehicle so that the vehicle or any portion of the vehicle crosses the single solid line from one traffic lane to another;

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?p...7&display=html
If you're in the middle of the city, then sure, b) applies and you can legally pass. In Sliver's scenario going through a national park, c) applies and you're not supposed to cross the line to pass.

Although I usually only see double-solid lines in those instances and typically those are well-placed because you can't see enough of the oncoming lane to safely make the passing maneuver. If it's a flat straight road and the oncoming lane is sufficiently visible to make the pass safely and someone moved over to the right should to let me pass, I would just pass and get on my way. At least they have the awareness to know they're moving too slow.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-18-2022 at 05:13 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #1734
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Man when did (most) radio show hosts get so lazy? I swear 90% of them now are just “text or call us with your stories about how your dog farted some time” or some other dumb topic, then they spend the next 30 mins reading random people’s uninteresting stories. I know it’s not a high paying job but kudos to the one putting effort in to at least putting some actual content out.
Crowdsourcing has gotten way out of hand. It fills up airtime and so it's cheaper in that regard, and I imagine it boosts engagement by some metric. But what's the long term outlook here. "Send us your news and we'll report it verbatim." Oh right, that's called a press release
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:32 PM   #1735
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What about a semi truck(no trailer)? Are those OK on a residential street, even without company logos? Asking for as neighbour...
Middle of the day, sure. Overnight, no.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #1736
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Middle of the day, sure. Overnight, no.
BRB, making a Karen...I mean call.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:48 PM   #1737
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Technically any truck with a GVWR >4,500 kg (~10,000 lb) cannot be parked on a residential street overnight. That means anything bigger than a half-ton pickup...
Old 08-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #1738
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Really?
Apparently not as often as I’ve been doing it
Old 08-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #1739
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently not as often as I’ve been doing it
To me, it's funny if you look at which law seems generally more reasonable; passing on a (double) solid line or the speed limits.

Generally speaking, I think passing markers are in reasonable places and I rarely seem to encounter a place where I think "the double solid is stupid, I really should be able to pass here".

Whereas I routinely think speed limits are lower than they should be... therefore I routinely exceed them.

I'm with Sliver - I'm convinced that speed limits that were established 50 years ago when the average car did 0-60 in 15 seconds and took 400 feet to stop from 100km/h could use a reconsideration...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #1740
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s road design in residential roads for stationary long term weight? Those Atco Trucks have to be significantly heavier than Normal.

I don’t like when people in neighbourhoods with driveways and garages turn the street into permanent parking. Those spots are for visitors not to be monopolized by people.

Why can’t this guy park his work truck in his driveway? He’s not doing anything illegal but he is breaking some kind of social contract in using the commons when he doesn’t have to.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote