Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an additional round with a play in for the playoffs?
Yes 24 14.37%
No 143 85.63%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

While we are at expanding the playoffs so organizations can get a pass for being mediocre maybe when games get out of hand the scoreboard is capped at a four goal differential like they do in kids sports? It's professional sports and there should not be rewards for mediocrity. You start making it so over half the league makes the playoffs teams will have a lower bar to strive for and that leads to endless mediocrity.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’d like to see 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

You could have any 2 teams in the finals which would make us different from other major NA sports.
I think this is a cool idea, but the travel involved would absolutely kill teams. On the one hand, this would help to level the playing field between East and West, but on the other hand by the time the SCFinals rolls around we could be watching a much poorer calibre of hockey than what we have seen the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I think the only re-working required is to go back to 1v8, 2v7, and on, with places 1 + 2 in each conference reserved for division winners.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #24
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
At minimum they need to go back to 1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6, 4vs5.
I prefer this way too. Way too many divisional games already. Sick and tired of playing the f'ing Ducks all the time.

But one change I would like to see (although I know it will never happen) is to see a 16v1, 15v2, 14v3 etc format. How cool would it be to see a Flames vs Pens series? Or Caps vs Sharks. Do away with the conference format entirely and get some new playoff rivalries happening.

I know it will never happen, and the conference championship is a big deal. But if I had 1 change to make for the playoff format, it would be that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think this is a cool idea, but the travel involved would absolutely kill teams. On the one hand, this would help to level the playing field between East and West, but on the other hand by the time the SCFinals rolls around we could be watching a much poorer calibre of hockey than what we have seen the past few years.
The effect of travel is overblown IMO. Switch to 2-3-2 format if necessary but I think it’s the hockey that fatigues and injures the players, not the flying.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #26
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expanding can mean a play in game. I actually would like it.

Top 2 in each division are auto in and get home ice in first round.

Next best 2 records in conference are in as wildcards.

Teams 7-8-9-10 have a play in. It could be 1 game, or best of 3.

It rewards the top teams that they get a rest and avoid the extra games. It allows more middle of the pack teams to have a chance and keeps more teams 'IN IT' until the end, which makes more entertaining games.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The effect of travel is overblown IMO. Switch to 2-3-2 format if necessary but I think it’s the hockey that fatigues and injures the players, not the flying.

Players also fly on private charter, 1st class flights with beds, servants and pretty much all the luxuries you could possibly imagine on a flight. It's not like they are stuck in economy with crying babies and crammed in the middle seat between 2 fat guys. The travel thing, while I'm sure is tiring to a certain extent, is completely overblown. They are literally travelling in luxury. And don't forget the charter buses that pick them up to and from the gate.

And trips to the deeper US states still aren't that long. It's not like they are flying to Europe every week. Flights to the US are very simple, and if I'm not mistaken they are all direct flights.

The players show wear, tear and fatigue from the games themselves. Not the travel.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

They should reduce the number of teams that make it. The playoffs are over two months long as it is, that's absurd
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #29
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should shorten rounds 1 and 2 to just 5 games. Shorten the season too to 62 games.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Season should last 365 days. Can’t get enough.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Players also fly on private charter, 1st class flights with beds, servants and pretty much all the luxuries you could possibly imagine on a flight. It's not like they are stuck in economy with crying babies and crammed in the middle seat between 2 fat guys. The travel thing, while I'm sure is tiring to a certain extent, is completely overblown. They are literally travelling in luxury. And don't forget the charter buses that pick them up to and from the gate.

And trips to the deeper US states still aren't that long. It's not like they are flying to Europe every week. Flights to the US are very simple, and if I'm not mistaken they are all direct flights.

The players show wear, tear and fatigue from the games themselves. Not the travel.
East-to-West coast jet lag is a real thing, as is the dramatic and frequent change in elevation. I think these factors have a lot more to do with player performance than can be simply compensated for by luxury charters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
They should reduce the number of teams that make it. The playoffs are over two months long as it is, that's absurd
Especially with all the added days between games. I love the playoffs but it's such a marathon and even as a fan I feel worn out by the end.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #33
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

They don't need to expand the playoffs, It is perfect the way it is. The issue is when it starts. What they need to do is shave some games so the playoffs always start the last week of March or first week of April.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d like to see 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

You could have any 2 teams in the finals which would make us different from other major NA sports.
I'm old enough to remember when first versus last was league wide. So in 1981 you had the upstart 14th seed Oiler beating the 3rd ranked Canadiens, thus clearing a pretty good path for NYI to cruise to the top (especially when #13 NYR beat #4 LA and #2 St. Louis, #9 Minnie took out #3 Buffalo and Calgary took out #6 Philly in the second round. The highest seeded team NYI ended up playing was Minnie in the finals.

Not saying it was a bad thing but there were a crap ton of upsets. Of course, the best of 5 first round had something to do with that too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #35
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

No, keep it as is (in terms of the number of teams that make the cut). Although I do think they should either have the top 4 in the division make the cut or 1-8 conference seeding.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #36
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I think that is one of the best parts about it. It is such a grind. The winning team feels so damn good about what they accomplished because of the toll it takes to win. Just look how the Caps celebrated last year. It is awesome.
slybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Should shorten rounds 1 and 2 to just 5 games. Shorten the season too to 62 games.
I'm not certain that the players and the owners would wall want to take a 25% cut in pay/profits.

Actually I'm quite certain they wouldn't.

And it likely be greater than a 25% cut in profits, as fixed costs would remain the same reducing profits by more than 25%.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #38
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1

Doesn't need messing with.
Works for now but soon there will be 32 teams. Then we need to go to 32 -16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1.

By 2116, the NHL will expand to 64 teams for 200th anniversary. 64 -32 -16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
East-to-West coast jet lag is a real thing, as is the dramatic and frequent change in elevation. I think these factors have a lot more to do with player performance than can be simply compensated for by luxury charters.
It’s the hockey that is hard on them. They are already traveling for the playoffs as it is.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #40
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I guess growing up in an age where 16 out of 21 teams made the playoffs, I'd like to see it expanded. Back then it was 76% of teams that make it, going to 20 out of 31/32 teams would be 62-65%. Also seeing the Flames finish 9-10th several times stings for me.

Make it simple:
Round 1- Teams placing 4th and 5th play a 3 game series for the final spot.
Round 2- Go back to making it a best of 5 series.
Remaining rounds stay at 7 games.

You have extended the playoffs by 4 games; but really a total of 3-4 days at most.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote