Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT96912 View Post
Backlund statistically is one of the best defensive forwards in hockey for the last two years. He did not get that way by himself. We could always put the 3m line against another teams first line and be confident the last couple years. I'm just saying they're is confidence in that line defensively. Neal takes away that. I don't think it's a coincidence we've struggled to score since the switch.
It’s been two games. It’s 100% a coincidence and nothing else.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #22
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund statistically is one of the best defensive forwards in hockey for the last two years. He did not get that way by himself. We could always put the 3m line against another teams first line and be confident the last couple years. I'm just saying they're is confidence in that line defensively. Neal takes away that. I don't think it's a coincidence we've struggled to score since the switch.
Could you just with The hyperbole....

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #23
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Backlund / Frolik / Bennett as defensive matchup

Gaudreau / Lindholm / Neal
Tkachuk / Monahan / Czarnik

Spread the love a bit and then bury the “new” 3M
I don't love the lines you suggested but I agree that this strategy is the solution. I love backs but the team will be much deeper and stronger if hes centering a third line with frolik and Bennett.

If we could trade for duchene or nylander that would be perfect.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #24
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as we keep winning

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I have to add is that Frolik has added a lot to the 3rd line of Bennett-Ryan-Frolik. They were probably the best line against L.A. last night, and that's with Ryan doing very little to push the offense.

Neal needs a set up man/men, and both Backlund and Tkachuk are passers more than shooters. It makes sense to put him with those guys if he's not going to play with Gaudreau. The other two are strong defensively, so you can afford to have a mediocre defensive player in Neal with those two. You cannot afford that on the top line where Gaudreau is already mediocre defensively. Lindholm fits much better there, obviously.

Neal has the talent, he just needs to find the right chemistry with the Flames players. It will come, but it might not be until the second half. As long as the team is winning, I care not.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Opinion or fact? Chucky is better offensively and defensively with Frolik. Chucky is a great player that played his rookie year with these guys, he has chemistry with them. Why put him a 30 year old that's slow? Money? Forced?
It's as much fact as the OP.

Of course it's opinion. Just like every other post here.

As for why you play Tkachuk with Neal, it's because Neal is a multi year goal scorer. I like Frolik a lot, but he's a plug and play guy, and not really a second line man.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The kings didn't score last night while Neal was on that line...maybe theres a method behind the madness!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The kings didn't score last night while Neal was on that line...maybe theres a method behind the madness!
It's not supposed to be his thing, but Neal hasn't been a defensive liability. I have thought he was decent defensively.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it a bit frustrating that we have signed Neal to a big long term contract and we are having a hard time slotting him in.

I think the fact that Lindholm has shown so big is part of the problem. I think we all knew Lindholm was a good player, but wow, he has really impressed me. He has shown to be an all around player.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems to be as simple to me as the coach experimenting to see if we can up the secondary scoring on this team, which is something we need. I also don’t think it has anything to do with having to fit Neal in because of ice time complaints or because of his contract. Neal is a player who’s biggest asset is his finishing ability not his creation ability. He’s not being leveraged at potential right now because the creation ability is very low in our bottom 6, with Janko and Bennett not yet taking a jump in that regards.

Is just an ATTEMPT to try and optimize assets. I’m sure Peters won’t hesitate to switch back if it doesn’t work. Also, nothing stops him from having different strategies game to game. Use the 3M line when we gave an elite top line to match against, or even go back to the 3M in the 3rd period of a game if we are up.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #31
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I find it a bit frustrating that we have signed Neal to a big long term contract and we are having a hard time slotting him in.

I think the fact that Lindholm has shown so big is part of the problem. I think we all knew Lindholm was a good player, but wow, he has really impressed me. He has shown to be an all around player.

Yes Lindholm stole Neals spot. There is no chance he is giving it back. When all said and done Lindholm is going to be the best overall player on that top line. At under $5 million a year for 6 years is a steal.

As for Neal he's not even playing with that nasty, pesty edge that he is known for. I feel Neal gets a pass from this board because of past accomplishments , just like Jagr did last year. He needs to be better, and its not up to him being put with good linemates. When he plays third line he is not even the best player on the line. Do not have a problem if flames and Neal part ways after this season.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #32
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

It feels to me like Peters is basing his lines on his opponents. I know we aren't used to it, but he has strategic IMO and has been putting the 3M line together specifically against some of the best lines in hockey. Against ANA and LAK there wasn't that line like you would face against Boston, Pitts or Colorado. I think these were great games to see if they could get Neal engaged more and seeing how that line operates.

I would expect to see 3M together for those tough assignment games, I haven't been following SJ as much so I don't know if they have that killer first line or if they spread it out so I hesitate to speculate on if they switch it up for tonight.

I will say though, that by the eye test, Kovalchuk's line seemed to do a number on the Backlund line all night. Neal's lack of speed I believe played a part in that, but there really wasn't anything so dangerous as to believe they were a terrible line.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
It feels to me like Peters is basing his lines on his opponents. I know we aren't used to it, but he has strategic IMO and has been putting the 3M line together specifically against some of the best lines in hockey. Against ANA and LAK there wasn't that line like you would face against Boston, Pitts or Colorado. I think these were great games to see if they could get Neal engaged more and seeing how that line operates.

I would expect to see 3M together for those tough assignment games, I haven't been following SJ as much so I don't know if they have that killer first line or if they spread it out so I hesitate to speculate on if they switch it up for tonight.

I will say though, that by the eye test, Kovalchuk's line seemed to do a number on the Backlund line all night. Neal's lack of speed I believe played a part in that, but there really wasn't anything so dangerous as to believe they were a terrible line.
I thought they contained Kovalchuk quite well. Any line I see going to get a couple chances, but I thought they were kept outside a fair bit.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
The line as brutal last year and was terrible to start this season. Once Peters fiddled a little, sat Frolik for a game and reunited them they were better. Not leaving it alone is what worked, so maybe that'll work again.

Neal's been pretty good lately good, lots of quality chances. He'll get an a roll here soon.

Peters has been pretty consistent. We paid Derek Ryan, a guy labeled as Peters "boy" and he was sat.
That's a pretty odd take.

They were one of the most dominant lines in hockey last year with historically low shooting percentages.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal was not good last night, that's for sure. But Backlund may have had his worst game in 4 years. And Tkachuk might have had his worst game ever. And all 3 were not skating. So it's difficult to draw any conclusions.

As for the Neal debate in general, I am not worried. I think his biggest problem so far is that both Jankowski and Ryan have been disappointments (Ryan has been fine for the 4th line but not for the 3rd). When your C is ineffective, it's tough to get the line going.

I think the solution here is to get the 3rd line going - it needs more speed and more talent. My hope is that Dube is the answer to that when he comes back. He has been snake-bitten so far, but he is getting his chances, and he brings the speed and tenacious fore-check that Neal needs to be paired with.

Dube - Bennett - Neal or Bennett - Dube - Neal (take your pick)

I think that line has speed, tenacity, talent, a strong fore-check, and a sniper.

Give it time. The Flames are winning even though they are FAR from firing on all cylinders. All of Jankowski, Ryan, Czarnik, Dube AND Neal have struggled so far. And yet we have the best winning percentage in the division. It'll come. We need to show some patience.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #36
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I thought they contained Kovalchuk quite well. Any line I see going to get a couple chances, but I thought they were kept outside a fair bit.
I thought they were good at keeping the chances to the outside as well, they didn't let anything dangerous develop. I just thought it was more of a fending off the play than actually containing or controlling. Maybe it was more of a lack of cohesion on that line than anything, but something just didn't click for them last night. Against weaker teams I don't mind Neal in that spot, but I wouldn't want to see it against the Tavares, Stamkos or McDavids of the league.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #37
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I predict at some point we see a consistent Dube and Bennett line, and they're going to look amazing.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I predict at some point we see a consistent Dube and Bennett line, and they're going to look amazing.
Dube, Bennett, Frolik. They will forechecking the hell out of you, not give away much defensively, pot a few and generally be hard to play against.