Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #21
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
IDK, I'd gladly negotiate with Nenshi given that he seems to have the taxpayers' interests in the forefront of his mind.
That's why nenshi's tax increases averaged $112/year compared to $44/year by mayor Bronconnier right? Please.

But this illustrates my point the best - you can't trust anything that comes out of nenshi's mouth. The arena is just a charade nenshi plays on Calgarians, to pretend that he's fiscally conservative. When the new downtown library was opened, he was doing the opposite, tearing into Calgarians who wanted a less costly library.

Don't place so much trust in press releases and in government, in my view nenshi has absolutely destroyed any trust I had left in "the city of Calgary"
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kurwamac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
That's why nenshi's tax increases averaged $112/year compared to $44/year by mayor Bronconnier right? Please.

But this illustrates my point the best - you can't trust anything that comes out of nenshi's mouth. The arena is just a charade nenshi plays on Calgarians, to pretend that he's fiscally conservative. When the new downtown library was opened, he was doing the opposite, tearing into Calgarians who wanted a less costly library.

Don't place so much trust in press releases and in government, in my view nenshi has absolutely destroyed any trust I had left in "the city of Calgary"
You know the mayor only gets one vote on council, the same as everyone else, right? The mayor, regardless of who it is, can't just arbitrarily make changes.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #23
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
You know the mayor only gets one vote on council, the same as everyone else, right? The mayor, regardless of who it is, can't just arbitrarily make changes.
Do you know that there is a left-right side political split among councillors, which one vote can sway?

I've heard that argument many times, but considering the left-right split, I interpret it as an excuse. So nenshi certainly deserves a large part of the blame, when it comes to high taxes, policies, and especially the arena.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gut feeling here. I think this gets done fairly quickly. Behind closed doors I bet they've been feeling each other out since the public election debacle and are far closer to a deal than anyone had thought.

That and I think if the Olympics dies I think the city realizes they need something to sate the desire of hope they don't lose a good party and a hockey team in such a short period of time. Like I said, gut feeling.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can Nenshi run for a fourth term, or will he be out in two years?

(nevermind, I looked it up and apparently Alberta has no term limits on mayors).

I can only hope he's not re-elected, not because of the area issue (I'm ok with pushing the Flames to pay for the costs associated with a new rink). I just can't stand his smug attitude.

Last edited by jaydub74; 11-09-2018 at 03:28 PM.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post

I'm curious to know that as well. My whole point is that the Flames shouldn't negotiate with nenshi, and just wait until he gets replaced. Keep in mind Bill Smith had about 110,000 votes - and by extension you could conclude that a large part of Calgary wants the city to pay for the arena.

Personally I think the Federal government should pay for it in full, considering Alberta has been paying Ottawa too much in excess transfer payments. Show some gratitude to the piggy bank of Canada.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #27
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post

(nevermind, I looked it up and apparently Alberta has no term limits on mayors).

I can only hope he's not re-elected, not because of the area issue (I'm ok with pushing the Flames to pay for the costs associated with a new rink). I just can't stand his smug attitude.
I, for one, would be shocked if he ran again.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
all the words
Bro...stop.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #29
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious to know that as well. My whole point is that the Flames shouldn't negotiate with nenshi, and just wait until he gets replaced. Keep in mind Bill Smith had about 110,000 votes - and by extension you could conclude that a large part of Calgary wants the city to pay for the arena.

Personally I think the Federal government should pay for it in full, considering Alberta has been paying Ottawa too much in excess transfer payments. Show some gratitude to the piggy bank of Canada.
Thats... a leap.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #30
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I, for one, would be shocked if he ran again.

Mayor Gondek 2021.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #31
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Doubt Nenshi runs again. Will likely be in a good position to make a centrist run against the UCP on the provincial level in 2023.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My whole point is that the Flames shouldn't negotiate with nenshi, and just wait until he gets replaced.
The next election is 3 years away.

If a deal can get worked out to break ground early next year, they could be playing in the new arena in three years. That's probably a long shot, but construction on the new arena should be well underway by the end of 2021.

Other than pettiness, there's no reason for the Flames to avoid talking to the city. When you're asking for millions of dollars of free money, you can't afford that level of pettiness.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #33
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The next election is 3 years away.

If a deal can get worked out to break ground early next year, they could be playing in the new arena in three years. That's probably a long shot, but construction on the new arena should be well underway by the end of 2021.

Other than pettiness, there's no reason for the Flames to avoid talking to the city. When you're asking for millions of dollars of free money, you can't afford that level of pettiness.

"Hold my beer" - Ken King
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jethro Choicebro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Mayor Gondek 2021.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Doubt Nenshi runs again. Will likely be in a good position to make a centrist run against the UCP on the provincial level in 2023.
Doubt it.

The guy could make some major coin in the private sector.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #36
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, we spoke with EVERY mayoral candidate. Every single one. None of them supported the Flames getting a free lunch.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #37
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Mayor Gondek 2021.

Mayor Woolley is more probable.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #38
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Please elaborate on your experiences living in other jurisdictions in Canada & paying property tax, I have and this city is a bargain.

But I digress... please spew more oversimplifications of your expertise on city building. If... based on your example, Nenshi was the reason why Calgarians have the new library they have Calgarians had the opportunity to move on last year.

They didn’t.

Get ready for the impending doom of the downtown property tax vacancy and the impact it will have on your property taxes as well.

But I’m sure your mandate of risk nothing and spend less will solve the problem.

I’m sure you’re also against the green bin, because the double standard of reducing waste to extend landfill lifecycle and minimize the cost of municipal services seems right in your wheelhouse and.... just outside of potentially comprehending one morsel of the complexity inherent in municipal affairs.

But I don’t care about any of that because this discussion is about the arena. The city's objective with an entertainment centre/district is to create a carrying capacity of density that will offset some of the looming infrastructure deficit awaiting Calgary's sprawl. Council can see the lifecycle assessment of tangibke capital assets like existing pipe, road, and wire and see that the renewal costs aren’t pretty.

The arena will go ahead because it is central to creating revenue to pay for this sprawl repair/renewal. Is it thee answer, no. It is one of the solutions/opportunities... yes.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #39
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Doubt it.

The guy could make some major coin in the private sector.
Doubt it. He's cut for public service and will likely be at least a party leader if not premier in his career after the City.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #40
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Doubt it. He's cut for public service and will likely be at least a party leader if not premier in his career after the City.
He made significant coin at McKinsey prior to being mayor and has a Harvard degree. Unlike many of our politicians, Nenshi had a successful career prior to politics and could very easily go back to making $300K+ in the private sector.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote