Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #1161
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A very balanced approach would be:

Gaudreau Monahan Ryan (we know this line will score al long as their winger can keep up...why not bring our other lines to new heights!)

Tkachuk Lindholm Neal (these are all first line players, two playmakers and one finisher...we can have two first lines...this would be the more defensive of the two)

Bennett Backlund Frolik (a known commodity, gives Bennett a chance to show his worth. Shutdown line)

Mangiapane Jankowski Czarnik (Yeastmode and Jankowski have chemistry...this forth line would be expected to score, not check...all offensive zone starts)

Brouwer Lazar (flotsam and jetsam)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #1162
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Neal needs a setup man. Backlund is not a setup man. He’s a more north-south center and I don’t see as much success for Neal with Backlund. Backlund needs guys that play the same style as him, and the best guys on the roster are for that are Bennett and Frolik. This would also explain why Bennett put up his best numbers with that duo and has struggled to find his way since.
I still feel this would be pretty successful and a whole lotta fun to watch, lol

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Lindholm - Neal
Frolik - Backlund - Ryan
Brouwer/Lazar - Jankowski - Czarnik
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #1163
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanked for flotsam and jetsam.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #1164
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly, I don't see Hathaway returning to the Flames this season. At 26 he is more or less a known commodity. 13 points in 59 games is his career high. The role of "energy guy" is easily replaced. I don't see him beating out players for a roster spot.
Cazarnik will turn 26 this year and his NHL numbers are similar. 17 points in 59 games IIRC. There might still be room for Hathaway especially if a guy like Czarnik can’t show he can produce at the NHL level.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #1165
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Cazarnik will turn 26 this year and his NHL numbers are similar. 17 points in 59 games IIRC. There might still be room for Hathaway especially if a guy like Czarnik can’t show he can produce at the NHL level.
Their NHL numbers are similar, but their AHL numbers are not. Czarnik has demonstrated, at every level, that he the potential to generate offense at the NHL level. It isn't a guarantee that he can take the next step, but the potential is clearly there.

With Hathaway, there is no reason, from past performance at the various levels, to think that there is the potential for another level. I think it is pretty reasonable to suggest with Hathaway that what you see is pretty much what you get.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #1166
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I don't see much... but I feel pretty good about it (despite last year)

Smith
Parsons
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #1167
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Their NHL numbers are similar, but their AHL numbers are not. Czarnik has demonstrated, at every level, that he the potential to generate offense at the NHL level. It isn't a guarantee that he can take the next step, but the potential is clearly there.

With Hathaway, there is no reason, from past performance at the various levels, to think that there is the potential for another level. I think it is pretty reasonable to suggest with Hathaway that what you see is pretty much what you get.
For sure but Hathaway is not considered pure offensive player and has ability to contribute in other ways. And his last , short stint in AHL had him producing at a point per game.

Point is, I’m not so quick to discard Hathaway based on the second half of his NHL season while at the same time gifting Czarnik an NHL spot. Last year Hathaway was playing in the NHL mostly. Czarnik in the AHL mostly. Their offensive stats in different sample sizes weren’t that different.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #1168
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Based off Cap Friendly's definition of a Group VI UFA, does this mean that if Gillies signs a one year deal and plays less than 16 games, he'll be UFA at the end of the year?

If so, hopefully we're pushing for at least 2 years on his contract...or may give Gillies a leg up in the back-up battle??

What is a Group VI UFA?
A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
-The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
-The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
-The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #1169
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking at the cap situation and IF the RFA contacts take us right up to the cap, I wonder if Foo's $850,000 performance bonus may work against him making the team? As far as my understanding goes, until the bonuses are unattainable, you need to factor in the full bonus amounts in cap calculations. This would make his cap hit jump to ~$1.78M.

Can anyone who knows the cap rules a bit better confirm or clear this up??
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #1170
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Gaudreau Monahan Neal
Tkachuk Lindholm Czarnik
Bennett Backlund Jankowski
Mangiapane Ryan Frolik

Lazar, Hathaway

Brouwer buy-out.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #1171
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Ryan-Frolik
Mangipane-Jankowski-Czarnik
Lazar

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson
Prout

Smith
Rittich

Brouwer traded to the Canucks $1.5M retained for a AHL body.

Stone trades to Ottawa for a 4th and a C level prospect.

Lindholm and Hanifin get $5.25x7 deals, Janko gets 1.5x2
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #1172
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny01 View Post
gaudreau-monahan-lindholm
tkachuk-backlund-neal
bennett-ryan-frolik
mangipane-jankowski-czarnik
lazar

giordano-brodie
hanifin-hamonic
kulak-andersson
prout

smith
rittich

brouwer traded to the canucks $1.5m retained for a ahl body. could we be that lucky

stone trades to ottawa for a 4th and a c level prospect. - rather keep him if that is all were getting, never have enough depth

lindholm and hanifin get $5.25x7 deals, janko gets 1.5x2
yes please

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #1173
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Line 1
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal

You’d be crazy not to put a reliable 20 goal scorer with Johnny and Mony.

Line 2

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

All 3 have defensive prowess and can score in bunches.

Line 3A

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik

It’s put up or shut up time for Bennett this year, Frolik, if healthy, is usually good for around 20/20.

Line 3B

Brouwer/Foo/Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik

As much as we all want Brouwer gone, he is probably the leading candidate to make the opening roster unless one of the young guys severely out performs him in the preseason. I feel the bottom 6 should play about equal minutes with guys like Ryan, Czarnik, Bennett, Jankowski getting some occasional PP time.

D Pair 1

Giordano - Brodie

Brodano!!!

D Pair 2

Hanifin - Hamonic

Hamofin?

D Pair 3

Kulak/Andersson - Stone

Kulak and Andersson splitting time with Stone on a game by game basis and hopefully Stone gets a few PP minutes to unload his cannon.

Goalies

Smith
Rittich

I feel like Rittich is slightly ahead of Gillies at this point but hopefully Smith isn’t over worked and can stay of the IR. Something like a 50/30 split.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #1174
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Line 1
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal

You’d be crazy not to put a reliable 20 goal scorer with Johnny and Mony...
I don't think it is crazy at all, and I think with a number of other posters that I prefer Lindholm on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan for the following reasons:

· Lindholm is a stronger possession driver, and a much better defensive player than Neal. I think this makes the top line more reliable when matched against other teams's top lines.
· Adding Neal to the second line provides considerably more secondary scoring than loading up the top line.
· Lindholm is a play maker, and his addition on the top line makes Gaudreau a much more dangerous goal scorer. I think he scores 30 and Monahan is a good bet to hit 40.
· Neal would still play on the top pp unit, and would get tonnes of scoring chances with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #1175
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, what's the "put up or shut up" expectation for Bennet? With Ryan & Frolik as line mates? If he gets 20 goals is that a success? Does he need 25 in a line with those guys to "breakout"? Has he had his chance? What are we expecting from a guy who was supposed to be elite but is now stuck as a third liner?

Might as well just move him along right now and hope the third round pick you get works out.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #1176
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So, what's the "put up or shut up" expectation for Bennet? With Ryan & Frolik as line mates? If he gets 20 goals is that a success? Does he need 25 in a line with those guys to "breakout"? Has he had his chance? What are we expecting from a guy who was supposed to be elite but is now stuck as a third liner?
I do not think you can make "point" or "goal" expectations without knowledge of ice time distribuion. 20G/20A with minimal power play time can be more impressive than 25G/25A being fed lots of PP / 3v3 / 4v4 ice time. To be strong at his role relative to others playing the same kind of role is reasonable

If I do have any expectation it's fewer cold spells a la October and March. That's because Bennett is grossly in tough against Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk for PP time as a LHS, and it's probably safe to expect Backlund to get more PP time out of seniority and contract expectations.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #1177
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

Might as well just move him along right now and hope the third round pick you get works out.

I think the expectation of him becoming an elite center are all but gone, however even with tempered expectations, something like a 20/20 winger, he’s still underperforming. Some of his lack of production can be attributed to poor linemates (Brouwer, Stajan) but he’s still wildly inconsistent.

0 points in the final 13 games.
0 points for the first month of the season.
0 points in 11/15 games in February.
0 points 10/12 games in January.
Only 4 multipoint games all season.

If he has a healthy Frolik and Ryan as linemates, along with PP time and isn’t approaching 20/20 in his 5th NHL season, then yeah, I’d say he failed to put up.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #1178
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Lindholm and Hanifin are signed to long-term contracts and the other RFAs are signed to short-term contracts in line with Cane's predictions, then Calgary is right up against the salary cap of $79.5M.

Total Salary: 79.017 (no performance bonus paid) - 80.870 (max performance bonus paid)

Forwards - $48.275M

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Lindholm (6*5.06)
Tkachuk (0.925) - Backlund (5.35) - Neal (5.75)
Bennett (1.95) - Ryan (3.125) - Frolik (4.3)
Mangiapane (0.705) - Jankowski (2*1.31) - Czarnik (1.25)
Brouwer (4.5)
Foo (0.925)
*Dube and Lazar to the AHL

Defence - $24.772M

Giordano (6.75) - Brodie (4.65)
Hanifin (7*4.44) - Hamonic (3.857)
Kulak (1*0.820) - Andersson (0.755)
- Stone (3.50)

Goalie - $5.066M

Smith (4.25)
Rittich (1*0.816)

Tkachuk Max Performance Bonus: $0.850M
Foo Max Performance Bonus: $0.850M
Andersson Max Performance Bonus: $0.0825M
Mangiapane Max Performance Bonus: $0.070M

Buyouts: $0.904M

So the Flames are fine with respect to the salary cap because they could just take a small bonus overage against the salary cap for next season. I also think the Flames are fine to go with Rittich because he gave the team a .915 save percentage or better in 10/16 games. He did do very poorly twice in 16 games (sub .800 save percentages) down the stretch, but overall I think he is worth trusting as the backup. Hopefully, he has even improved over last season.

Last edited by Nelson; 07-07-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1179
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Foo, Dube and Valimaki dominating the prospects camp, and Mangiapane and Andersson pushing, is there any room really on the main roster? Only if Brouwer plays himself out, and he must be Uber motivated.

What does it all mean? Is everything I perceive just a figment of my imagination?
Old 07-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #1180
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I think the expectation of him becoming an elite center are all but gone, however even with tempered expectations, something like a 20/20 winger, he’s still underperforming. Some of his lack of production can be attributed to poor linemates (Brouwer, Stajan) but he’s still wildly inconsistent.

0 points in the final 13 games.
0 points for the first month of the season.
0 points in 11/15 games in February.
0 points 10/12 games in January.
Only 4 multipoint games all season.

If he has a healthy Frolik and Ryan as linemates, along with PP time and isn’t approaching 20/20 in his 5th NHL season, then yeah, I’d say he failed to put up.
Sam hardly played with Brouwer at all last year - he played more with Gaudreau and Monahan than Brouwer. He didn't play with Stajan at all. He also got pretty consistent second unit pp time. I agree that maybe he needs a different centre (or should play centre with a different set of wingers).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote