Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #201
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hell the Vegas team of misfit toys is showing what a bunch of guys who were deemed "Surplus" can do when trusted with bigger roles and responsibilities.
They were never deemed "surplus". Their former teams were required to leave them unprotected. Considering the number of players who could be protected, Vegas was guaranteed to get a team full of decent (if not star quality) players.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #202
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I'm going to assume that one of Brodie or Hamilton is used in a trade to upgrade our scoring depth. They are the 2 most tradable assets with Hamilton being the biggest chip we that's been "rumored" to be potentially available: (not that I agree with it)

Roster today:
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington
What about Stone? I am really hoping he is traded... not that I don't like him but I think we could get an ok return (bottom 6 fwd, or a 2nd round pick) and that would free up a spot for Andersson.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #203
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we could trade Stone for Connor Brown straight up?

I'd also look into Kapanen and Leivo as well. All right shot wingers with histories of scoring big in lower levels, and in Browns case he potted 20 two seasons ago.

I'd also ask about Hymen as well.

Boy they have a lot of right hand shooting forwards in Toronto.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #204
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I'd also look into Kapanen and Leivo as well. All right shot wingers with histories of scoring big in lower levels, and in Browns case he potted 20 two seasons ago.

I think TOR would jump all over Leivo for Stone, and that would be an overpay for the Flames.

I have wondered about a Stone for Kapanen deal in the past, but also think that Kapanen is likely too young for the Leafs to move him for a player like Stone.

I like the idea of Stone for one of Brown or Hymen, and think this is probably the sort of return the Flames could expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #205
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah Kylington is a weird case - most of the other guys mentioned started in the NHL at 21/22. And Kylington will only turn 21 in May.

But at 16 people talked about this kid in the same way they talk about Rasmus Dahlen now, and at 18 he was still talked about in the same group as Hanifin, Werenski, & Provorov. The skill is there, he just needed to mature.

So even with the young start I think that another 30-40 games max in the AHL for him before it becomes too much. he's already matured as much as he's going to mature in that league. After 200 games in that league there is nothing else the AHL is going to teach him about being an NHLer.

Valimaki is going to be an interesting case too...I doubt he thinks he will need much AHL time either. He played with Brandon Carlo in Tri-City and was pretty much his equal as a 17 year old, with Carlo in his draft + 1 year. Carlo went right to the NHL the next year. Also he is playing with Bean now, and my bet is Bean starts the year in Carolina. Does he really need to spend any more than 30-40 games in the AHL either...doubtful.

Either way an interesting off-season, and next season on the Flames back end and goes back to my original point. Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Kulak, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington....something feels like it will have to give and it will be tough because you can't have 2+ rookies on your backend all at once without growing pains. They needed to work these guys in better this past year so they had at least a little more NHL experience.
On a more face-value level, I also suspect that perhaps the relationship between Huska and Kylington has run its course - a different voice might jump-start some progression. You look at a guy like Brodie and from 18 to 22 he played for:

Todd Watson and his staff at Saginaw
Marty Williamson and his staff at Barrie
Jim Playfair and Troy Ward and their staffs in Abbotsford
Brent Sutter and his staff in Calgary
Bob Hartley and his staff in Calgary

But overall I think he must have picked up different things from those different staffs in the development process. That's only natural. The same for Kulak, who had his junior coaches and then even as a minor pro spent time in the ECHL (Unlike the less successful Wotherspoon and Culkin) before establishing a rapport with Huska.

Kylington has only heard one voice in the last three years and maybe it's time for him to hear a different one. Sometimes coaches like and dislike different parts of a player's game, or have different wrinkles that affect players differently. For established veterans, maybe it doesn't matter, but I think prospects have to take in every bit of every different coach. Jankowski took major strides in his Huska year - so I'm not saying Huska is a bad coach - but at some point Kylington (and for that matter the now forgotten Klimchuk and Poirier) could probably use a reset of sorts. A graduation to 3rd pairing duties could be that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #206
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton, Bennett, Kylington, 2019 or 2020 1st (Flames choice) to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson
Frolik to Dallas for Brett Ritchie
Stone to Toronto for Connor Brown

Sign EK to an 8 year $72,000,000 extension
Sign JT to a 7 year $70,000,000 UFA deal

1. Gaudreau - Tavares - Brown
2. Tkachuk - Monahan - Foo
3. Ferland - Backlund - Ritchie
4. D Dube - Jankowski - Shore
Extra - Lazar, Brouwer

1. Giordano - Karlsson
2. TJ Brodie - Hamonic
3. Valimaki - Andersson
Extra - Kulak

1. Smith
2. Rittich/Gillies

Total Cap - $74,735,043
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #207
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
On a more face-value level, I also suspect that perhaps the relationship between Huska and Kylington has run its course - a different voice might jump-start some progression. You look at a guy like Brodie and from 18 to 22 he played for:

Todd Watson and his staff at Saginaw
Marty Williamson and his staff at Barrie
Jim Playfair and Troy Ward and their staffs in Abbotsford
Brent Sutter and his staff in Calgary
Bob Hartley and his staff in Calgary

But overall I think he must have picked up different things from those different staffs in the development process. That's only natural. The same for Kulak, who had his junior coaches and then even as a minor pro spent time in the ECHL (Unlike the less successful Wotherspoon and Culkin) before establishing a rapport with Huska.

Kylington has only heard one voice in the last three years and maybe it's time for him to hear a different one. Sometimes coaches like and dislike different parts of a player's game, or have different wrinkles that affect players differently. For established veterans, maybe it doesn't matter, but I think prospects have to take in every bit of every different coach. Jankowski took major strides in his Huska year - so I'm not saying Huska is a bad coach - but at some point Kylington (and for that matter the now forgotten Klimchuk and Poirier) could probably use a reset of sorts. A graduation to 3rd pairing duties could be that.
Kylington had 35 points in 62 games. He also had the same amount of goals as Poirier in less games. He seems to be progressing fine.

I agree that he should be given more NHL icetime next season but it will come down to how much change there is on blueline for next season. Andersson will also be on the big club so there is 7 guys right there.

It's interesting because we have an abundance of rightside dmen, essentially 5 if you include Brodie but only 2 leftside dmen in Gio and Kulak. I feel at least one of Brodie or Stone needs to go and maybe that opens the door for another young guy.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #208
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hamilton, Bennett, Kylington, 2019 or 2020 1st (Flames choice) to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson
Frolik to Dallas for Brett Ritchie
Stone to Toronto for Connor Brown

Sign EK to an 8 year $72,000,000 extension
Sign JT to a 7 year $70,000,000 UFA deal

1. Gaudreau - Tavares - Brown
2. Tkachuk - Monahan - Foo
3. Ferland - Backlund - Ritchie
4. D Dube - Jankowski - Shore
Extra - Lazar, Brouwer

1. Giordano - Karlsson
2. TJ Brodie - Hamonic
3. Valimaki - Andersson
Extra - Kulak

1. Smith
2. Rittich/Gillies

Total Cap - $74,735,043
I am so happy Treliving is our GM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #209
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I could see them sign David Perron on July 1.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #210
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I am so happy Treliving is our GM.
And were still keeping Brouwer on a roster like that as an EXTRA making 4.5M for the next 2 seasons just for funzies.

Dream scenario, I'd be all for it dont get me wrong!

Last edited by Royle9; 05-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I could see them sign David Perron on July 1.
No thanks. That has bad contract written all over it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #212
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I believe Stone is a bigger trade asset than we all give him credit for. Great contract, physical D, heavy shot, right handed.

Personally I’d rather keep him and give him a few more minutes as I really like his game. But... the Flames need a winger. So if it isn’t Brodie moved, Stone could be an attractive piece to a team needing some help on the back end.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 05-09-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #213
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No thanks. That has bad contract written all over it.
Yep and so does Patrick Maroon. Just hope it isn't Calgary overpaying for them.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #214
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the plan on Brouwer is to try to see if a the new coach can get more to see if they can kick that contract a little farther down the road as the team starts to get a few more options. He is still a decent penalty killer, plus I believe his NTC expires in the final two years of the contract. If things still don't work out then Brouwer @ 50% retained for part of this year and/or next year may be a better option then 1.5M over 4 years.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #215
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think the plan on Brouwer is to try to see if a the new coach can get more to see if they can kick that contract a little farther down the road as the team starts to get a few more options. He is still a decent penalty killer, plus I believe his NTC expires in the final two years of the contract. If things still don't work out then Brouwer @ 50% retained for part of this year and/or next year may be a better option then 1.5M over 4 years.
His last two years it drops to a modified NTC. 15 team list.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #216
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can/ would the Flames retain 1.5M of Stone's salary?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #217
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Can/ would the Flames retain 1.5M of Stone's salary?
Since asking anyone a question on here feels like walking on eggshells lately let me start with: the following question is not sarcastic or snarky in any way.

Why would they have to do that? He has a good contract for 2 more seasons based on what he brings to the ice. Or is it just to ramp up value?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #218
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Since asking anyone a question on here feels like walking on eggshells lately let me start with: the following question is not sarcastic or snarky in any way.

Why would they have to do that? He has a good contract for 2 more seasons based on what he brings to the ice. Or is it just to ramp up value?
I assume it would be to make it more palatable for a team against the cap. And the return would obviously have to have a bump to reflect it.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #219
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I assume it would be to make it more palatable for a team against the cap. And the return would obviously have to have a bump to reflect it.
He was insinuating that stone is a 3rd pairing defenseman and thus overpaid at 3.5m. Based on what I watched last year, I tend to agree. I think we could recoup our picks if we traded him but that's about it.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #220
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Ricardo seems to think our defensemen are overpaid and thus aren't worth much. I'd go ahead and not really pay much attention to his opinion as it usually doesn't align with reality.

Defensemen are valuable and a premium asset in this league. I don't think any of our current defensemen are overpaid based on market value and several of them are actually on really good contracts vs market value. We have a lot of valuable and attractive assets on the blue line. That's why people are speculating we could move one.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: