Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #1321
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
If anything, I'd say the individual third parties should have done the proper testing on their product.
The Google+ documents notes this issue, and that it would require the manufacturers of third party docks to essentially code in the same errors Nintendo did to be "compliant", and would be a race to the bottom for compatibility. Better for Nintendo to be called out and fix the problem.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #1322
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nintendo made a proprietary charger and charged Nintendo prices for it, it would be criticized as a cash cow. And let's be honest, it would be. If they properly used the USB-C standard for charging, they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table, but people would be praising the move as giving them more flexibility, freedom, savings, etc.

The problem is, Nintendo has somehow managed to do both and neither of these things at the same time.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #1323
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a Switch two days ago. Finally caved when Smash Bros was announced. I'm loving Zleda so far (which is odd, previously I only loved one other Zelda game, Wind Waker). Got Odyssey as well.

I only have one complaint: why the hell are they still using friend codes???
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #1324
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Picked up a Switch two days ago. Finally caved when Smash Bros was announced. I'm loving Zleda so far (which is odd, previously I only loved one other Zelda game, Wind Waker). Got Odyssey as well.

I only have one complaint: why the hell are they still using friend codes???

Because Nintendo hasn't moved into the 21st century when it comes to online policies and decisions.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #1325
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...itch-hackable/

A newly published "exploit chain" for Nvidia Tegra X1-based systems seems to describe an apparently unpatchable method for running arbitrary code on all currently available Nintendo Switch consoles. Hardware hacker Katherine Temkin and the hacking team at ReSwitched released an extensive outline of what they're calling the Fusée Gelée coldboot vulnerability earlier today, alongside a proof-of-concept payload that can be used on the Switch.

"Fusée Gelée isn't a perfect, 'holy grail' exploit—though in some cases it can be pretty damned close," Temkin writes in an accompanying FAQ.

The exploit, as outlined, makes use of a vulnerability inherent in the Tegra X1's USB recovery mode, circumventing the lock-out operations that would usually protect the chip's crucial bootROM. By sending a bad "length" argument to an improperly coded USB control procedure at the right point, the user can force the system to "request up to 65,535 bytes per control request." That data easily overflows a crucial direct memory access (DMA) buffer in the bootROM, in turn allowing data to be copied into the protected application stack and giving the attacker the ability to run arbitrary code.

On the Switch, the hardest part of the exploit seems to be forcing the system into USB recovery mode. To do this without opening the system requires shorting out a certain pin on the right Joy-Con connector (the bit on the side of the system where the Joy-Con clicks into place). The hacking team at Fail0verflow tweeted a picture of a small plug-in device that can apparently provide this short-out easily, and the team joked that a simple piece of wire from the hardware store can do so today. Temkin also tweeted a picture suggesting that simply exposing and bending the pin in question would also work.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #1326
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Because Nintendo hasn't moved into the 21st century when it comes to online policies and decisions.
What about backing up game saves...
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #1327
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nothing is 100% secure, and nothing is 100% unpatchable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #1328
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was going to hold out until a new hardware revision of the Switch to pick one up, but I may have to pick up a current unit if it gains full custom firmware, just for the emulation potential alone. Being able to backup my own saves would be another plus, something that Nintendo just can't figure out for some reason
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #1329
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I was going to hold out until a new hardware revision of the Switch to pick one up, but I may have to pick up a current unit if it gains full custom firmware, just for the emulation potential alone.
Time is running out but you can get it for 20% off right now. Shoppers Drug Mart, call ahead. Glendale had one left I believe. Just show them this today:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #1330
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Time is running out but you can get it for 20% off right now. Shoppers Drug Mart, call ahead. Glendale had one left I believe. Just show them this today:

Little late now, but thanks anyway
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #1331
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Little late now, but thanks anyway
Ahhh too bad. Not sure if it is worth your time (or if they have it in stock) but there are some Shoppers locations that are open until midnight (or even 24 hours).
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #1332
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nintendo released its fiscal year-end sales figures this morning. Sufficed to say, Switch is killing it.

Hardware sales: 17.79 million as of March 31. For comparison, the PS4 was just over 18 million after a similar 13 months - and that included two holiday seasons instead of one.

First party shipments:
Code:
Mario Odyssey         10.41m
MarioKart 8            9.22m
Zelda BOTW             8.48m (10m including WiiU)
Splatoon 2             6.02m
1-2-Switch             2.29m
Arms                   1.85m
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 1.31m
Kirby Star Allies      1.26m
Pokken Tournament      1.16m (excluding Japan)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #1333
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The Labo projects people are making are quite interesting. Nintendo might have done it again. I can see this becoming quite a creative outlet.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #1334
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The online service has been announced.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

I'm mostly excited about the cloud backup. Hopefully it will sync between devices.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #1335
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

September?!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #1336
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^We've known September since the January quarterly earnings release.

What's interesting to me though is the NES games. That stands as a rather strong indication the Virtual Console is no longer going to be a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #1337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is an even stronger hint...
Quote:
“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.
https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-i...ays-1825848253
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #1338
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, saw that on reddit. But they also said they envision releasing retro titles via the online service, as stand alone eShop titles and in packaged collections.

Where they really goofed with the online was in offering only NES titles at launch. Should have been a few NES titles, a few SNES, and then something like Super Mario 64.

That said I like playing Splatoon 2 and MK8 online enough that the $20 (US) a year is worth it.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #1339
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I have trouble getting excited at another round of re-release NES titles. Since they are adding online multiplayer, they should throw MarioKart64 out there. I'm sure there are plenty of SNES games they could do that with as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #1340
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, after a somewhat quiet first half, things are starting to pick up quite a bit for the Switch in the next few weeks.

Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion is out now and is apparently quite good. I haven't tried it for myself yet.

Mario Tennis Aces is out this Friday, June 22. The demo felt great, there's a lot of interesting mechanics and I'm looking forward to the single player mode. They have plans to support it with lots of free DLC characters.

Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure DLC is out June 26. This DLC pack looks excellent for fans of the game/fans of Donkey Kong (which I am both!). Can't wait to check it out.

Octopath Traveler is out July 13. The demo for this is excellent, very much looking forward to the full release and digging into a lengthy, original, retro-inspired RPG.

Should be a good couple weeks!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote