Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Well #### that, I already took it out, someone is getting speared with this pitchfork.

JAMES NEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Should I alert the Police or.....? No. They already know.

Sorry James.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #62
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Should I alert the Police or.....? No. They already know.

Sorry James.
Do you want this pitchfork?!?!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've already greatly exceeded my pitchfork quota for the current calendar year.

Dont even get me started on the torches.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #64
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
As bad as it looks that management seem to think Smith is the answer, it might be even more troubling to me why they think Smith is the answer over rittich.

What if they believe Smith is a better option than Rittich, for a reason?

Troubling.
I wonder if Rittich isn't 100%
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #65
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Now for more drama you guys might want to check out the now locked American Politics thread... haha
Lol, seriously? Was that because of the Kellyanne Conway comments? That seems like a bit of an overreaction on the mod's part IMO.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, seriously? Was that because of the Kellyanne Conway comments? That seems like a bit of an overreaction on the mod's part IMO.
Las thing anyone should have in their minds are images of Kelly Ann Conway....
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #67
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uhm. I think even if they wanted to start Smith they couldn't because I don't think anyone would show up to the game on Saturday. I think the crazy feedback last night on social media was enough to drive home any point.

Glad they let Lindholm sleep in today. He had a rough night physically.
Blocked shot that hurts him, loses an edge and goes into the boards hard (but stil gets back up to body check a Habs D man into the boards), Gets hit himself really hard later in the game. Dude took a beating last night.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #68
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Phewf!
Maybe Wills was just trolling CP
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #69
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You guys get worked up way too easily. This thread is a great read for the lolz.

Says the conveniently late guy...
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #70
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I"m pretty sure they removed all the offensive stuff.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
I wonder if Rittich isn't 100%
At this juncture a one-legged Hobo with jaundice, scurvy and a frying pan could likely outplay Mike Smith.

Percentages of Rittich are just gravy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #72
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Says the conveniently late guy...
Fair enough.

But it is true that the fans are extremely quick to react with anger these days. I'm not surprised, but it is funny to watch people melt down with the mere suggestion that Smith ever play another game again. I will also say that the last game pissed me off something fierce, but I'm over it already and it's time to move on to the next game.

I do think Rittich is going to take the starter's net and never look back. How that works out long-term, I have no idea, but I do believe he can be a capable starting goaltender in the NHL. He's progressed very steadily over the years, and last year's questionable performance as the starter is probably due to him being a rookie more than anything. He looks so much calmer this year, whereas last year you could see the nerves at times in games. When I watch Rittich, I don't see a world beater, but I do see a guy that is calm, collected, and capable to the task. I think his mental makeup is so good that it will carry him a long way, and his physical tools are at least league average.

Smith will probably fill out the rest of the year as the backup, and will probably look decent doing so...or not, and then one of the kids on the farm will get a chance to show what they can. We all knew this was going to be the scenario when Smith was brought in, but his play of late has simply forced the scenario to be enacted sooner than we all expected. So be it, I welcome the change. To me it's a blessing in disguise to know that Smith will not be here next year. It allows the team to make plans for the net going forward.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #73
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do think Rittich is going to take the starter's net and never look back. How that works out long-term, I have no idea, but I do believe he can be a capable starting goaltender in the NHL. He's progressed very steadily over the years, and last year's questionable performance as the starter is probably due to him being a rookie more than anything.
Not to mention the team in front of him last year played like garbage on most nights. This year's team is vastly improved, and they're playing a much stronger team game overall. Even if we can get average NHL quality goaltending out of Rittich, this team will contend for the division.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gonna be tough to stab me from the sin bin!

What did you do?

What did you DO?!?!?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #75
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pitchfork threats not ok???
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Pitchfork threats not ok???
I dont know, last year I used nik's pitchforks to clear my yard of detritus do I figured I'd try again.

At the time he was more interested in landscape gentrification, but it wouldnt surprise me if he militarized his pitchfork fascination.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #77
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Rittich is he hasn't really shown consistent progression.

2016/17 - very good first season in the AHL
2017/18 - awful AHL season. Looked promising as a backup for the Flames but failed when taking over as starter
2018/19 - looks great so far

This isn't like Kipper who was an AHL all-star for two seasons before struggling to make his mark in the NHL.

We obviously need to see how Rittich can handle an increased workload and who knows, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle. But on paper, this is not a guy who has progressed at every level and shown he is ready to be a starter. And I suspect that's part of the reason Smith has still been getting starter's minutes.

I don't know how Rittich looks in practice and I do think that's an understated part of the equation. I recall one Flame player after one of his wins comment on how good he is in practice.

As stated previously if we can get average goaltending then should be OK. Bu average is no gimme for anyone.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #78
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prolly to do with the American politics thread haha
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #79
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Smith = Turek
Rittich = Kiprusoff

One can dream, right?

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough.

But it is true that the fans are extremely quick to react with anger these days. I'm not surprised, but it is funny to watch people melt down with the mere suggestion that Smith ever play another game again. I will also say that the last game pissed me off something fierce, but I'm over it already and it's time to move on to the next game.

I do think Rittich is going to take the starter's net and never look back. How that works out long-term, I have no idea, but I do believe he can be a capable starting goaltender in the NHL. He's progressed very steadily over the years, and last year's questionable performance as the starter is probably due to him being a rookie more than anything. He looks so much calmer this year, whereas last year you could see the nerves at times in games. When I watch Rittich, I don't see a world beater, but I do see a guy that is calm, collected, and capable to the task. I think his mental makeup is so good that it will carry him a long way, and his physical tools are at least league average.

Smith will probably fill out the rest of the year as the backup, and will probably look decent doing so...or not, and then one of the kids on the farm will get a chance to show what they can. We all knew this was going to be the scenario when Smith was brought in, but his play of late has simply forced the scenario to be enacted sooner than we all expected. So be it, I welcome the change. To me it's a blessing in disguise to know that Smith will not be here next year. It allows the team to make plans for the net going forward.
I agree with all of this. I think Treliving planned on a younger goalie in the system taking the reins at some point in Smith's contract (though I would be surprised if he said he expected it would be Rittich).

It's too bad that Smith's play didn't let them do it on more of a gradual basis, but he's given them no choice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote