Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #601
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bitar was a highly rated forward out of the Ottawa Fury academy who was the rookie of the year in USports in 2017. He also played in League1 Ontario that year as well.

Cavalry also selected Joel Waterman, who started every game for the PDL winning Foothills team in 2018. He'll have experience with Dominick Zator, who I'm pretty sure will also be signing with Cavalry.

And the other pick is Easton Ongaro who I have never heard of until today. But apparently he lead USports in scoring this last year.

Last edited by shermanator; 11-13-2018 at 11:19 AM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #602
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #603
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

CPL just acquired League 1 in Ontario, which is sometimes called a semi-pro league, but is really just the top amateur league. Same level as the AMSL in Alberta, as both leagues send their winners to the National Championships every October. Hilarious quote on their FB page announcement - "The deal was in the tens of dollars". Hahahah.

CPL will not be acquiring the AMSL, but they do want to put their development teams in it. Interesting to see what happens though, as FC Edmonton's prospect team won their promotional games, but Foothills lost theirs (vs Lethbridge of all teams to lose to) and therefore were not given the spot. They're going to the AMSL's AGM shortly to see if they can get in.

As someone who played in the AMSL, this pleases me. With the CPL launching, and Foothills having a PDL team, I was concerned the AMSL would get watered down to a point where it could actually fold, but this could be really positive for this league, which is a very good one.
MillerTime GFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #604
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
And the other pick is Easton Ongaro who I have never heard of until today. But apparently he lead USports in scoring this last year.

Tall guy that doesn't play like a tall guy. Deceivingly good feet, mostly because you don't expect it coming from such a tall guy. Really good finisher if given the chance. Not sure he's creative enough or fast enough to ever make a real impact though.

(Full disclosure - my team played his U of A team in provincials last year so this is completely my opinion only from that one game. Not to mention it was indoor).
MillerTime GFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #605
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The club just told me that "We’ve got some big stuff coming up with season tickets coming and more importantly announcing some foundational players all in the next few weeks and/or before Christmas!" Trying to pry more info out of them before our supporters meetup tomorrow night.

In Tommy's interviews prior to the draft, he mentioned:

Quote:
“We’re going 2-for-1,” Wheeldon Jr. said, teasing his Alberta-based side is across the line with multiple Canadian players he expects to emerge as a pair of the first signings in CPL history.

“We wanted to bring in someone with a wealth of international experience, who has played 300-plus games overseas,” Wheeldon Jr. continued.

“The strategy was also to get a (Canadian) player we believe has incredible potential … I think that ties it together very nicely for us.”
Source: https://canpl.ca/article/were-talkin...first-signings

So uhh...I'm 99% sure that those signings will be Nik Ledgerwood and Marco Carducci. Which should really be no surprise.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #606
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Cavalry has sent out member emails on season ticket pricing...and they completely ####ed it up...

Last edited by shermanator; 11-16-2018 at 05:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #607
gb450
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Looks like Cavalry has sent out member emails on season ticket pricing...and they completely ####ed it up...

I thought I was alone. Would be nice to know how much the season tickets will actually cost in a dedicated section, like all of the other CPL teams. Instead they just lumped season ticket and game day pricing together. This only shows what the seating map will look like, which isn’t bad IMO, but I’m thrown for a loop on the pricing structure.
gb450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #608
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not sure what to do. Part of me wants to be in the safe standing section, but then to have dedicated seats would also be good at times. I guess I’ll see what they come out with in January and make a decision. It does appear that this isn’t going to be cheap though. Like that Corps ticket at $47 seems pretty steep.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #609
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya, 1400 bucks for a pair of season tickets isn't gonna happen for me. And that isn't even the best seats. I'll be looking for the 200 bucks that includes a jersey that we saw from one of the other clubs.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #610
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was poorly rolled out. Not to be presented with the all information available is frustrating. Also, you're expecting me to do math? Sorry Cavalry FC, I dont want to go all first-world-problems on you, but you're selling us a new product. You can't make people work for this stuff, they'll loose interest. Unsolicited advice from someone in the industry.

Anyway, based on that chart think I'd be looking at paying the top end of Troops. $30 a game x 15 games x 2 people = about $1,000 a season. Seems steep for a new product and yeah, likely beyond what I'd commit to. Ther parking hassle is another issue but I'm not too adverse to a shuttle from Shawnessy or whatever.

My guess is they must feel they've secured enough corporate support to charge those top end prices. I just can't see familes paying $500 a game 15 times a season.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #611
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, is that right? If a family of four bought mid-level Battalion section seats they'd be paying $7,500 for the season!?! Did I miss something?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #612
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and that’s another irritant; if I’m dropping $2000 for a couple tickets (or more) I expect parking included. I get it for the dome, because it’s a bigger draw. But a few hundred added to already expensive tickets is just a big mistake.

I don’t know. I really thought that tickets would be about half what they are. I didn’t make it to the friendly, but the reports are it was great and the facility will be great. But I don’t know if it’s worth the kind of money they’re asking.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #613
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to re-read the email a few times to make sure they were serious.

We all thought York9 were out to lunch... this is ridiculous.

I was planning to get what they call "Battalion" level grandstand seating, but I was thinking $1000-1200 for both sets of tickets based on what the other teams are doing, not double.

Also, if you're going to gouge season ticket holders, toss in a free jersey, not "merch". They should also have free parking, at least for the higher tiers.

They better have higher end players than Ledgerwood and Carducci lined up. These are MLS prices (source: https://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/ta...ge-for-tickets) for "foundational players" that played PDL last season?? They need some serious PR rescue.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-16-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Thunderball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #614
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even though this is "top flight" football in Canada, ticket prices still kind of expensive. I don't understand why they are not inline with season ticket prices of other CPL teams. Are they thinking they are Man U or something?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #615
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That made me curious so I looked it up.

Premier League sorted by cheapest seasons ticket price per seat:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-ticket-price/

Huddersfield is an outlier at £100 ($168), West Ham are second lowest at £289 ($487).
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #616
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

19 games of West Ham United for under $500!? Yeah, FU, Cavalry. At least before a Hammer's game I can go to the pub with Frodo Baggins and the GSE.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #617
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'm kinda getting nervous that they are going to screw this up. How many people are going to pay over a grand per ticket in those middle sections? I think they may be over estimating the quality of the on-field product.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #618
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to try and give Tommy a call today and get more info.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #619
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, huge over estimate on what the market will bare. They will be looking back at this roll out and pricing structure with regret.

They made the cardinal minor league team mistake - They'll get a small dedicated season ticket base, then they'll panic later and have to try to walk that dangerous line of offering discounts to attempt to draw new fans in while not pissing off the supporters who've already paid.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #620
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Man, I'm not even sure any MLS teams ask $3000 for season tickets.

That entire pricing structure is going to kill them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote