Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2023, 10:19 PM   #1121
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Is the game also this sparse of zombies? There is like zero threat of them. I think there’s been like 4 all season. Much different than walking dead that way it seems.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:06 PM   #1122
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is the game also this sparse of zombies? There is like zero threat of them. I think there’s been like 4 all season. Much different than walking dead that way it seems.
Oh no, you're the world's most prolific mass murderer by the end of the game. But I can see why they didn't go that route for an adaptation for story and realism versus video game gameplay.

You're constantly carrying two hundred pounds worth of guns, ammo & supplies. Able to absorb dozens of bullet, burns, explosives and melee wounds while being able to fully "heal" with just a med kit or two. Nevermind the amazing superhuman Batman "sound vision" through walls. The kill count literally would be hundreds in your belt.

EDIT: apparently nearly 500+ in a normal playthrough.

Though I believe it was Craig Mazin who pointed out that the infected wouldn't be found where people were not found. Like the outdoors, wilds, small towns, etc. along with the number that have "died" over the past 20 years anyhow. TWD always seemed to go over the top that way constantly in comparison.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-07-2023 at 11:12 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #1123
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Since leaving Kansas City Joel and Ellie have either been trucking through unpopulated wilderness or settlements that would have long ago removed whatever zombie threat there was in the area, so it makes sense they haven't run into any infected. The game was actually pretty much the same way, you fought a ton of infected in and around Boston, in and around Pittsburgh (KC in the show), but once you reached Tommy almost all the following combat was against humans. The only place with infected was in the empty university, and that's the one part of the show where it really felt rushed. Would have been nice if they had expanded that episode a bit and showed a pocket of infected, further explaining why the Fireflies left
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:44 PM   #1124
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question has been, why not avoid population centres altogether if that's where the bulk of the infected are?

They only ever get in trouble when they're wandering through urban areas

Should have just gone around KC, rather than through it

I bet there are people living their best lives on rural islands in the cordiceps world, as long as they can grow their own untarnished food/crops
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #1125
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcrimmindependent View Post
my question has been, why not avoid population centres altogether if that's where the bulk of the infected are?

should have just gone around kc, rather than through it

i bet there are people living their best lives on rural islands in the cordiceps world, as long as they can grow their own untarnished food/crops
Yea they never really explain why Joel chose a route right through KC. The game was the same, Joel is driving on an elevated highway and takes an offramp into Pittsburgh when the road is blocked. It would make far more sense to avoid highways all-together and stick to smaller roads that don't go anywhere near cities, but that probably wouldn't make for an entertaining game or TV show

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 03-08-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:59 PM   #1126
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got caught up. This show is brilliantly done. It’s amazing what happens when adaptations stay fundamentally faithful to the source material. I know it hasn’t followed the games 100% but it’s pretty damn close.

Enjoying watching my fiancée (who isn’t a gamer) watch the show and discover the story for the first time. Tonight she told me she’s going to play the games after the first season is over. I’m excited to watch her!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 02:27 AM   #1127
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Enjoying watching my fiancée (who isn’t a gamer) watch the show and discover the story for the first time. Tonight she told me she’s going to play the games after the first season is over. I’m excited to watch her!
Same! My wife asked me the other day if she could just watch me re-play the games. Sounds like a awesome time to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 10:09 AM   #1128
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never played the game, but that final scene felt very much like a video game with all the creeping around. Ellie clearly follows the "don't stop hacking until you're hacking the ground" mantra. That dude is hamburger lol.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #1129
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
My question has been, why not avoid population centres altogether if that's where the bulk of the infected are?

Should have just gone around KC, rather than through it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yea they never really explain why Joel chose a route right through KC. The game was the same, Joel is driving on an elevated highway and takes an offramp into Pittsburgh when the road is blocked. It would make far more sense to avoid highways all-together and stick to smaller roads that don't go anywhere near cities, but that probably wouldn't make for an entertaining game or TV show
They would need to scavenge fuel for the truck relatively often, and their best chances of finding anything would be in population centres. The TV show did a better job of illustrating this, with the scene of Joel and Ellie stopped by a rural gas station and Joel siphoning whatever he could get from the tanks and vehicles around. It would be safest to stick to as rural a route as possible, but there was a much higher likelihood they'd run out of fuel and end up stranded in the middle of nowhere. Their ability to simply keep the truck going would be a very desperate, dicey situation.

Also remember that Joel did not intend to pass right through the heart of these cities. They had to because the roads were blocked. Either they played it safe, doubling-back and going all the way around (burning lots of extra fuel...), or took their chances through the city. Joel chose the latter, unfortunately. From the cutscene in the game I always imagined that the intended route around the core of Pittsburgh was deliberately blocked, in order to 'push' people into the city where the raiders would lie in wait.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #1130
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome episode. Just a roller coaster ride.

Any idea what the town/lake they filmed at was?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #1131
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waterton.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #1132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Awesome episode. Just a roller coaster ride.

Any idea what the town/lake they filmed at was?
I think it was Airdrie.

Pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the Mr. Mikes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #1133
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was Waterton.

https://www.narcity.com/calgary/albe...t-of-us-photos
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 04:51 PM   #1134
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s kind of odd they went all the way to Waterton Lake for a few unique shots. Seems like Kananaskis / Canmore / Banff would have provide a near identical cinematography experience.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #1135
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That’s kind of odd they went all the way to Waterton Lake for a few unique shots. Seems like Kananaskis / Canmore / Banff would have provide a near identical cinematography experience.
I can't think of anywhere between Louise and the Bow Valley or between K Village down to Longview where you'd have cheap infrastructure to make into a set like Waterton. I also cannot think of anywhere other than Minnewanka where you could get that kind scenery.

Spray Lakes has nothing, they'd have to build their town from scratch. K- Village doesn't have to space or time to let film crews use their infrastructure. Maybe they could have used the golf course? Then again, ain't much to work with there. Maybe the guest ranch?

Outside of maybe the lodge half way to Fortress Junction from Spray lakes they could have. But honestly who's gonna let you access Peter Lougheed in the Dead of winter? And Spray lakes highway isn't maintained in the winter.

Watertons it's own special beast IMO. Right up there with Moraine or Lake Lousie.

I think it honestly made too much sense given they had the space to house an entire film crew, its closed in Winter so it could probably have been bought really cheap.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-08-2023 at 06:26 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 07:43 PM   #1136
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can't think of anywhere between Louise and the Bow Valley or between K Village down to Longview where you'd have cheap infrastructure to make into a set like Waterton. I also cannot think of anywhere other than Minnewanka where you could get that kind scenery.

Spray Lakes has nothing, they'd have to build their town from scratch. K- Village doesn't have to space or time to let film crews use their infrastructure. Maybe they could have used the golf course? Then again, ain't much to work with there. Maybe the guest ranch?

Outside of maybe the lodge half way to Fortress Junction from Spray lakes they could have. But honestly who's gonna let you access Peter Lougheed in the Dead of winter? And Spray lakes highway isn't maintained in the winter.

Watertons it's own special beast IMO. Right up there with Moraine or Lake Lousie.

I think it honestly made too much sense given they had the space to house an entire film crew, its closed in Winter so it could probably have been bought really cheap.
Yeah, having the town to themselves makes sense. I thought the scenery looked like some of what they already shot in previous episodes in the mountains. If they weren't necessarily shooting everything sequentially, I'd think it would be more practical for the mountain scenes, city scenes, houses / lodges / cabins come from their own distinct locations so they wouldn't be moving everything to Waterton, for what could be shot partially in Canmore and partially in Bragg Creek.

Waterton is indeed unique, but besides how windy it gets on the lake, I didn't see much in what they shot that was really highlighted what a cool place it is compared to where they have been in the other episodes.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:52 PM   #1137
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, having the town to themselves makes sense. I thought the scenery looked like some of what they already shot in previous episodes in the mountains. If they weren't necessarily shooting everything sequentially, I'd think it would be more practical for the mountain scenes, city scenes, houses / lodges / cabins come from their own distinct locations so they wouldn't be moving everything to Waterton, for what could be shot partially in Canmore and partially in Bragg Creek.

Waterton is indeed unique, but besides how windy it gets on the lake, I didn't see much in what they shot that was really highlighted what a cool place it is compared to where they have been in the other episodes.
What are you talking about? They showed the wind and how it was boarded up. Doesn't get more accurate for Waterton during the winter than that.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #1138
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
What are you talking about? They showed the wind and how it was boarded up. Doesn't get more accurate for Waterton during the winter than that.

I don’t think the wind is seasonal. Every time we camped in the town campsite we felt pretty sure we were going to wake up somewhere else.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:01 AM   #1139
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1633890393971408898
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 12:26 AM   #1140
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Hell yeah, I love VFX breakdowns and stuff like that.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote