Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #1961
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I've been on vacation since 4:30. Trailer still needs to be packed and prepped for an early morning departure. I've also been working since 7am and still have another 2-3 hours at least of work to get done before I can focus on that.

Vacation is off to a relaxing start.... and it's this way every time I take time off.

Downside of Work From Home?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #1962
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I used to think this type of wedding was the pinnace of wedding excess. Then I went to an East Indian wedding. I didn't think it was possible to know 1,200 people. Or that a wedding could take days, not hours.

To make matters worse - the groom was white and they tacked on another day of a Catholic ceremony / dinner.

Pretty sure you could buy a small condo for that kind of money. I know they got a lot of big dollar cash gifts to offset the costs but still....for what?
Yeah, an Indian coworker of mine goes to minimum two major destination weddings a year with literally hundreds of guests at huge event centres. He shows me pictures and every one of them looks like some major celebrity wedding. And yet half the time it'll be like a guy working in a warehouse in Toronto.

I don't know how he does it, he ends up paying $4-5k for each trip for his family and it's often a distant cousin. Toronto, Singapore, Mexico. Two - three of these per year and he makes like $55k/yr. It's insane to me, but he said that's their culture, someone announces a wedding and everyone even remotely connected to the bride and groom drops everything and books the trip and turns it into a larger than life event.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #1963
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, an Indian coworker of mine goes to minimum two major destination weddings a year with literally hundreds of guests at huge event centres. He shows me pictures and every one of them looks like some major celebrity wedding. And yet half the time it'll be like a guy working in a warehouse in Toronto.

I don't know how he does it, he ends up paying $4-5k for each trip for his family and it's often a distant cousin. Toronto, Singapore, Mexico. Two - three of these per year and he makes like $55k/yr. It's insane to me, but he said that's their culture, someone announces a wedding and everyone even remotely connected to the bride and groom drops everything and books the trip and turns it into a larger than life event.
Yeah, I have some clients with similar stories and the economics of it dont make sense to me either.

I think there is some sort of off-shore Indian-Family slush fund that they can draw off of to pay for these trips or something.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #1964
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
I am just waiting for the pendulum to swing and all the kids starting to get married. Our friend group has 7 billion girls. I am sure a number of summers will be wrecked wonderfully impacted.

Then there is the wildcard of the second marriages which should be starting soon. Have avoided this so far. Luck can't hold forever.
Quote:
I read this as grand canyon and thought that would be really cool. And then it wasn't as cool.
Quote:
Did we just find out that Pylon is Sliver's Dick brother? Wow!!!
Quote:
On a serious note, congratulations on your wedding and that you seem to be doing well. You are one of the posters I have missed so good to see you dabbling back in. Cheers.

p.s. That jeep thread was so fun...
4 posts in a row. Incoming profanity laced, abusive macman pm's that don't stop coming.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #1965
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4 posts in a row. Incoming profanity laced, abusive macman pm's that don't stop coming.
Are we allowed to do that? I didnt know that!

Old 08-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #1966
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I have some clients with similar stories and the economics of it dont make sense to me either.

I think there is some sort of off-shore Indian-Family slush fund that they can draw off of to pay for these trips or something.
Nah, it's just something they justify as important in their culture. No secret or saved money, they'll just pay it because it's what they do and save in other areas.

I'd get serious anxiety myself if I was making what he makes while booking multiple trips per year that would make a $350k household income family think twice.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #1967
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
He should have been punted for how crazy it was and would have been if I wanted. But he's a decent poster other than that stuff and he seems to like posting here, so we talked and I suggested just a week off if he stopped doing it, so that's what they did.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #1968
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Except I never sent anybody a profanity laced or abusive DM, seemed odd I even got a timeout as I see a lot worse on here all the time.

I don’t think people should mention DMs publicly especially if they reported to the mods.

Last edited by Macman; 08-26-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #1969
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, fair enough, I shouldn't have done that. But yeah it would be odd to get a timeout if they weren't profanity laced or abusive and on going, I agree.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #1970
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Grown ass adults who get "confused" by #### that a high school student could understand. Screams and yells at people because of their own mistake because they're a dysfunctional social #### and still have the gall to be manipulative/a liar to ask for a discount because they got upset at something that wasn't the other party's fault?

I understand honest mistakes, but this person went full bore jackass on a hairpin trigger when they got impatient. Started screaming at a colleague, then when I took over, pretended to be nice, but called in over my head to the owner and accused me specifically of doing fraud and a poor job on the stuff we did for them? (Owner was on the other side of the wall and knew exactly what happened, the work was never requested nor anything done so that was a blatant lie)

Are you serious? #### you, man. You're super wealthy. If life is hard, go buy soft serve ice cream to match your soft as baby #### ego instead of asking for a discount on a service/free service that isn't much and you absolutely do not deserve after screaming at people because you didn't have a puppy to kick.

Threats to go with another company don't do what you think it makes you do. It only make me feel warm and fuzzy to never have to deal with you again! And honestly, I've already chatted with the owner and we aren't going forward with any further working relationship with you.

UGH. I'm having a couple of fist fulls of drinks this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglQbGQbFxo
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #1971
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, it's just something they justify as important in their culture. No secret or saved money, they'll just pay it because it's what they do and save in other areas.

I'd get serious anxiety myself if I was making what he makes while booking multiple trips per year that would make a $350k household income family think twice.
It's pretty intense the levels that people will go to for weddings in the community. As an East Indian, I have been invited to numerous weddings for random extended family that I don't even know. I usually always decline. My wife, on the other hand, loves that #### and will definitely try to go if she can. I already had to convince her not go to a wedding in Ottawa this fall for a cousin that we've only met once or twice. Plane tickets alone for a family of 4 would have been almost $4000. No thanks.

When we got married, I wanted to keep it small as I would have rather used the money for downpayment on a house, investments, or basically anything else. My wife wanted the full blown Indian wedding. She originally had a guestlist of 300+. We "compromised" at a guestlist of 250 people and me not having to come riding in on a horse.

Last edited by Kiran403; 08-27-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #1972
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I went to a birthday party for a one year old Indian boy and there were more people there, and it was a bigger production than any wedding I’ve been to. It was amazing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 05:44 PM   #1973
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe it is just you man. I got nothing.

I did have that thought but then I figured #### him, imma roll haw I wanna roll.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #1974
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
It's pretty intense the levels that people will go to for weddings in the community. As an East Indian, I have been invited to numerous weddings for random extended family that I don't even know. I usually always decline. My wife, on the other hand, loves that #### and will definitely try to go if she can. I already had to convince her not go to a wedding in Ottawa this fall for a cousin that we've only met once or twice. Plane tickets alone for a family of 4 would have been almost $4000. No thanks.

When we got married, I wanted to keep it small as I would have rather used the money for downpayment on a house, investments, or basically anything else. My wife wanted the full blown Indian wedding. She originally had a guestlist of 300+. We "compromised" at a guestlist of 250 people and me not having to come riding in on a horse.
So, can I ask how much people contribute when you have a wedding like that? Can you share what your 'haul' was? Curious whether it nets out.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #1975
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What?? No way man! Riding in on a Horse? You should have made that mandatory!

Talk about a Baller entrance!!

The only thing better would have been something like this:

Old 08-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #1976
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In my experience, it's really rare to get actual gifts at Indian weddings. All the "gifts" are just cash. I think we ended up receiving almost $25k in cash. That doesn't include the cost of the wedding which was mainly paid by her parents. My parents kicked in a bit but it's usually customary for the bride's parents to cover the majority of the costs, especially if they want to go super elaborate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #1977
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What?? No way man! Riding in on a Horse? You should have made that mandatory!

Talk about a Baller entrance!!

The only thing better would have been something like this:

LOL I'm terrified of riding on a horse. That just seemed like it would end badly, especially with the loud drums and people gathering/cheering for the groom's entrance.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #1978
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

I went to an awesome Indian wedding last weekend. Must have been 800+ people there. Fireworks, DJ, free bar, Bollywood dance routines, and the best food I ever had at a wedding. It was amazing, and must have cost $100K +?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #1979
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL I'm terrified of riding on a horse. That just seemed like it would end badly, especially with the loud drums and people gathering/cheering for the groom's entrance.
Nothing says "for better or worse in good health and bad" like marrying a guy in full traction!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 06:08 PM   #1980
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Posting someone's random unsolicited and negative PMs definitely sounds "unprofessional, unethical and illegal!"

I'd hate to deal with with the cyberpolice after they backtrace it. You could even say that you done goofed because consequences will never be the same.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote