Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #121
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

There also seems to be some controversy on 3rd doses as well. Looks like 2 top officials took a retirement that had something to do with a rushed 3rd dose approval?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...tists-announce

Of course, people on Facebook are taking that as "2 top FDA officials resigned because the vaccines are not safe"

I've been debating and facepalming this point all morning.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #122
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dunno. I am an AZ/MNRA mixer because the AZ was first available to me and I viewed the risk as acceptable. There seemed to be enough evidence that the cocktail was likely as good or better than the AZ/AZ version.

I frankly assumed that internationally, AZ would have been recognized and that the AZ/MNRA cocktail would be as well. Sounds like it might be necessary for me to get that second dose of MNRA to travel. Don't love it, but again, given what is known right now, another booster might be helpful and if it ensures easier travel, then that is what I'll need to do.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 09-03-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #123
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be great if the government would give us some stats from the Delta wave about breakthrough infections and the vaccine mix the people had.

That would go a long way towards lifting travel restrictions for those with mixed doses (or not if the numbers don't look good).

----------

Also, I don't know when they added this, but I just noticed it yesterday, the government stats now breakdown cases over the last 120 days (back to early May) by age range, vaccine status, and whether or not the person has a pre-existing condition.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

The big takeaway is if you're under 60 and fully-vaccinated, your chances of requiring treatment in a hospital (or worse) are extremely low, especially if you don't have any underlying conditions.

In the last 120 days, 127 people under the age of 40 in Alberta have spent time in the ICU with COVID. 1 of them was partially vaccinated. None of them were fully-vaccinated.

57 people under 60 have died from COVID in the last 120 days, 5 were partially vaccinated and 2 were fully vaccinated. 4 people under 40 have died in the last 120 days from COVID, they were all unvaccinated.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #124
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So what's the deal with US vaccinations?

I will be at a trade show in the USA this month, and I can quite easily walk into a pharmacy and get my 3rd dose.

Wise idea? Bad idea? I have no clue how the vaccine records will integrate with ours, but if I can take advantage of a completely accessible 3rd shot I might as well.
As Eldrick pointed out, you’d have to lie to get a third dose. If you believe in following the science, I’d wait until someone like the CDC gives a clear message on 3rd dose vs self medicating.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #125
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Finding a way to get yourself a third shot when not meeting the criteria doesn't seem far off self dosing Ivermectin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/b...ter-shots.html
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #126
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Finding a way to get yourself a third shot when not meeting the criteria doesn't seem far off self dosing Ivermectin.
That's giving Ivermectin far more credit than it deserves.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #127
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That's giving Ivermectin far more credit than it deserves.
It is, and they aren't equivalent, but it also seems similar in that people read some articles on the internet and then go do something not recommended by doctors to prevent COVID.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #128
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I have to choose between someone managing to source a third dose and someone taking Ivermectin, give me the person getting a third dose. At least I can take solace in the fact that they aren’t Joe Rogan.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #129
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It would be great if the government would give us some stats from the Delta wave about breakthrough infections and the vaccine mix the people had.

That would go a long way towards lifting travel restrictions for those with mixed doses (or not if the numbers don't look good).

----------

Also, I don't know when they added this, but I just noticed it yesterday, the government stats now breakdown cases over the last 120 days (back to early May) by age range, vaccine status, and whether or not the person has a pre-existing condition.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

The big takeaway is if you're under 60 and fully-vaccinated, your chances of requiring treatment in a hospital (or worse) are extremely low, especially if you don't have any underlying conditions.

In the last 120 days, 127 people under the age of 40 in Alberta have spent time in the ICU with COVID. 1 of them was partially vaccinated. None of them were fully-vaccinated.

57 people under 60 have died from COVID in the last 120 days, 5 were partially vaccinated and 2 were fully vaccinated. 4 people under 40 have died in the last 120 days from COVID, they were all unvaccinated.
2 fully vaccinated people died of covid but didn’t spend any time in hospital? I find that odd. How would that even happen? Or are deaths excluded from the hospitalization category?

Nm. Used different age cutoffs. Ones under 40 the other is under 60.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-04-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #130
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

BioNTech has begun filing for regulatory approval of Comirnaty for 5 to 11 years old.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...source=twitter
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #131
Knut

Exp:

Nm
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #132
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bow Valley College makes full vaccination mandatory for all staff and students on October 22. Rapid testing will be available for the unvaccinated until then, but rapid testing will be eliminated after the 22nd and you will only be allowed to enter the college with proof of vaccination after then.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...tory-by-oct-22

That's exactly 6 weeks from today, so it gives any unvaxxed staff and students just enough time to get double-dosed if they get their first shots today.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #133
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nine more post-secondaries in Alberta are making vaccines mandatory and eliminating rapid testing, including the UofC, MRU, and SAIT.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1437461972300152834
https://twitter.com/user/status/1437462354753581058
Old 09-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #134
DiNaMo
Draft Pick

I feel like this isn't talked about enough but at what point will natural immunity after having recovered from Covid be taken into account with regards to vaccination guidelines and more importantly vaccine passports.

Latest science is showing it's more effective than the vaccines
DiNaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #135
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNaMo View Post
I feel like this isn't talked about enough but at what point will natural immunity after having recovered from Covid be taken into account with regards to vaccination guidelines and more importantly vaccine passports.

What peer reviewed science is this you speak of?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is no reason not to get double vaccinated, even after having covid, so there isn't a good reason to bother with a separate exemption.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #137
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Latest science also shows that those that recover from COVID and who get vaccinated have increased protection that those who recover and are unvaccinated.

Everyone who is eligible should get vaccinated.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #138
cgy-sk-import
Backup Goalie

Exp:

... I think I also saw some science that said getting covid first, and then getting vaccinated after, has the risk of being more dead in between the two.
cgy-sk-import is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cgy-sk-import For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #139
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Nine more post-secondaries in Alberta are making vaccines mandatory and eliminating rapid testing, including the UofC, MRU, and SAIT.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1437461972300152834
https://twitter.com/user/status/1437462354753581058
The wording 'campus community members and visitors' insinuates it is not only students and staff. Anyone setting foot on campus would have to meet this requirement the way I read it (and I stand to be corrected). For example anyone attending any event on campus (athletic, cultural, etc) would also be required. Including the beer league players whose ice is at the Oval for example.

I'm also wondering if this essentially means ALL classes will need to offer an online option for those unwilling to meet the requirement. Or will it be tough noogies for anyone who won't get vaccinated and therefore cannot attend class?

I'm fully in favor of this BTW, and good to see all the major post secondary institutions aligning themselves together on this.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #140
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Just got my booster (2nd Pfizer).

Confused about the last couple pages. Was this not a thing that is supposed to happen
??
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote