Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #501
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s not like anyone is arguing that lockdowns are inherently good. They are the best and most effective solution in a pandemic situation without vaccine coverage, but a pandemic situation is total #### to begin with, so you’re simply trying to handle a #### situation as best you can, of course it’s going to be significantly worse than “regular” non-pandemic life.

I find it odd people can’t wrap their head around that and act like lockdowns occurred in isolation (no pun intended).
Haha, oh wow deep thought. Sure, they were necessary to prevent widespread illness and death, but they are going to have a lot of negative consequences which will stick with us long after this pandemic is over.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #502
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What do you see as the long term negative consequences from the lockdown, as opposed to the pandemic itself?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #503
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Haha, oh wow deep thought. Sure, they were necessary to prevent widespread illness and death, but they are going to have a lot of negative consequences which will stick with us long after this pandemic is over.
Maybe. They’ll certainly have some. They also certainly alleviated a number of negative consequences that otherwise would have occurred. How do you think people are going to identify the negative consequences of lockdowns separately from the pandemic?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #504
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Peter12 clearly stated they were a necessary evil.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #505
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Peter12 clearly stated they were a necessary evil.
My question/post isn't positioned to convince anyone they were necessary, I know he said that. I'm asking how you separate them out from the pandemic itself, long after the pandemic is over.

Like what are the many negative consequences unique only to the lockdown?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #506
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
My question/post isn't positioned to convince anyone they were necessary, I know he said that. I'm asking how you separate them out from the pandemic itself, long after the pandemic is over.

Your entire first paragraph in response to the post in question reads as if he didn’t just say all of that in fewer words.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #507
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Your entire first paragraph in response to the post in question reads as if he didn’t just say all of that in fewer words.
And I just explained to you what I was getting at.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #508
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe this pandemic has just been a net evil and the prolonged lockdowns and isolation are just going to be another thing that we have to deal with? Maybe those consequences will end up being worse than the actual virus given deteriorating social and political conditions before the pandemic?
Old 10-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #509
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
What do you see as the long term negative consequences from the lockdown, as opposed to the pandemic itself?
Social dislocation, increased conflict, mass disenchantment with already broken institutions, exponential inequality, nihilism, fear…

Like lots of things, ya. The world already wasn’t in a good place.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #510
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess I don’t see those things as particularly linked to lockdowns. You could probably replace lockdown with social media and say the same thing.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #511
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So in a surprise to nobody, AHS extended their employee vaccine mandate to start November 30th. How much you want to bet they're following the Ontario lead and will kick this can down the road until they announce vaccines no longer required.

Obviously too scared of the too many employees that were willing to walk off and affect patient care.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #512
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I guess I don’t see those things as particularly linked to lockdowns. You could probably replace lockdown with social media and say the same thing.

It's also odd to attribute things to "lockdowns" that are really the results of a pandemic. It's not like there's a counterfactual reality where we could have not mitigated the spread of COVID and come out OK. When looking at the increased rates of depression and anxiety by country, it's pretty clear that the rate of spread is the primary factor. Increased rates of depression:

Spoiler!

and in anxiety disorders:
Spoiler!

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...143-7/fulltext
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #513
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So in a surprise to nobody, AHS extended their employee vaccine mandate to start November 30th. How much you want to bet they're following the Ontario lead and will kick this can down the road until they announce vaccines no longer required.

Obviously too scared of the too many employees that were willing to walk off and affect patient care.
I still don't understand why provinces didn't offer a testing option for jobs like health care where there is a shortage of workers and a risk to the public if they're fired. You can make it very inconvenient and expensive for the unvaccinated to encourage the non-hardcore antivaxxers to get vaccinated (say 2-3 tests a week taken outside work hours at the employee's expense). But now they're just going to probably end up backing down and allowing unvaccinated people to work with no extra protective measures.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #514
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I still don't understand why provinces didn't offer a testing option for jobs like health care where there is a shortage of workers and a risk to the public if they're fired. You can make it very inconvenient and expensive for the unvaccinated to encourage the non-hardcore antivaxxers to get vaccinated (say 2-3 tests a week taken outside work hours at the employee's expense). But now they're just going to probably end up backing down and allowing unvaccinated people to work with no extra protective measures.

I think the school board my wife works at has come up with a reasonable plan. If you are not vaccinated you need to be tested twice/week at each worksite (so if you work mornings at one school and afternoons at another you have to be tested at both). The testing is done at least half an hour before your shift starts and in front of your supervisor. So at least if you are not vaccinated you have the additional inconvenience of coming in early twice/week. Maybe not so good for the supervisors if they have to come in early too.

At my work if they have an approved medical or religious accommodation the employee pays 25% of the testing cost, or 75% if they don't.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #515
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remain sceptical of these religious exemptions. I’m sure some are legit but many are probably BS. (Please don’t slam religion as this isn’t about that.)
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #516
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I remain sceptical of these religious exemptions. I’m sure some are legit but many are probably BS. (Please don’t slam religion as this isn’t about that.)
Which religions provide an avenue for them? From what I've heard, all the major religions have no problem with it. I would expect any exemptions on religious grounds to require some evidence.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #517
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
They are pretty much a belief formulated to fit an imagined ideal. Some of the beliefs might be sincerely held, but that doesn't mean that the roots aren't BS that as invented after they decided they didn't want to take vaccines. Any religion that is new enough to have an honest opinion about vaccines at it's roots is so new that we are probably calling a cult rather than calling it a religion.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #518
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Posted this before but pertinent to this. I think this is an hmo in Kentucky or somewhere down south.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #519
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much less likely are you to spread covid-19 if you're vaccinated?

Turns out, quite a lot less likely:

Quote:
A recent study found that vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated.

This is only slightly lower than with the alpha variant, says Brechje de Gier at the Center for Epidemiology and Surveillance of Infectious Diseases in the Netherlands, who led the study. Her team had previously found that vaccinated people infected with alpha were 73 per cent less likely to infect unvaccinated people.

What is important to realise, de Gier says, is that the full effect of vaccines on reducing transmission is even higher than 63 per cent, because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 06:18 AM   #520
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which religions provide an avenue for them? From what I've heard, all the major religions have no problem with it. I would expect any exemptions on religious grounds to require some evidence.
Because evidence is what religion is known for.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: