Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #141
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

US allows guns, politicians bought and paid for by lobbiests since the country was formed. You can't use he was a threat because he was carrying a gun or what was he doing there. That's his right. The gun is pretty much an extention of his arm.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #142
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
If you run down the street to get away and I pursue you, catching up to you in an alley, damn right your actions are self defence. Otherwise, what protection is afforded to someone who is being attacked?
If I'm jogging down the street and people start chasing me, that makes sense to be self-defence.

If I arm myself up and go to confront a bunch of people and then run away, it's a different situation.

And if it's not, it's the law that is messed up.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
If you run down the street to get away and I pursue you, catching up to you in an alley, damn right your actions are self defence. Otherwise, what protection is afforded to someone who is being attacked?
Should there not be a provision for 'reasonable force?'

Lets assume for a moment that he was pursued and 'attacked.' One guy had a plastic bag, another guy had a skateboard.

It stands to reason that their ability to inflict lethal harm upon was limited at best. Certainly not so much as someone with a rifle.

Further, they are likely reacting in fear to someone wandering around with a gun. Now in the dark and the heat of the moment, that looks like an assault rifle. To someone not well versed in guns, it looks like something a soldier would carry.

So yeah, that gun probably scared the ever-loving #### out of them and they reacted out of fear. Fear that he instilled. On purpose.

Remove the AR15 from that night and nobody ever hears the name of Kyle Rittenhouse.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #144
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Once Rittenhouse is acquitted, it will be fascinating watching him become a Trumpist hero, trotted out at the GOP rallies, etc etc.

I also can only imagine the numbers of arms at future protests and counter-protests in the US. They're going to put Hezbollah rallies in Beirut to shame.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #145
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Lets assume for a moment that he was pursued and 'attacked.' One guy had a plastic bag, another guy had a skateboard.

It stands to reason that their ability to inflict lethal harm upon was limited at best. Certainly not so much as someone with a rifle.

Further, they are likely reacting in fear to someone wandering around with a gun. Now in the dark and the heat of the moment, that looks like an assault rifle. To someone not well versed in guns, it looks like something a soldier would carry.

So yeah, that gun probably scared the ever-loving #### out of them and they reacted out of fear. Fear that he instilled. On purpose.

Remove the AR15 from that night and nobody ever hears the name of Kyle Rittenhouse.

I think we as Canadians would be scared and find that alarming but not in the US.

As others have said here, there were many others that night who saw Rittenhouse and ignored him and there were people other than Rittenhouse also carrying rifles.

And the weapons don't matter. If I, a 100 pound girl, attacks a 200 pound guy, with my bare hands and he stabs me with a knife, that's self-defense. You can't say that I was no threat to him because I was half his size and had no weapons.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #146
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they permitting the jury to levy a lesser conviction?

My mind is bending over backwards trying to find a way that a person showing up to a riot with a gun, when they weren't required or qualified to be there, that ends up killing 2 people and wounding 1 isn't somehow responsible for that situation at all.

Rittenhouse's choices are the reason we are even talking about this today. I know it's not that simple, but that single choice should have some sort of consequence relating to the deaths and not just weapons charges.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #147
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I don't know if you can call it fear. Both Rosenbaum and Huber have a history that suggests they have extremely poor impulse control and are very quick to violence.

Joseph Rosenbaum:

Quote:

Rosenbaum also had open misdemeanor cases for battery (domestic abuse) and disorderly conduct (domestic abuse).

Newly released documents obtained by Wisconsin Right Now from the Pima County (Arizona) Clerk of Courts confirm Rosenbaum was charged by a grand jury with 11 counts of child molestation and inappropriate sexual activity with children, including anal rape. The victims were five boys ranging in age from nine to 11 years old. He was convicted of two amended counts as part of a plea deal.
While in jail, for what are hardcore acts of rape of children, Rosenbaum was cited multiple times with attacking staff.

Anthony Huber:

Quote:
Huber had a disorderly conduct conviction from 2018 as a domestic abuse repeater, which is a misdemeanor. He gave a Kenosha address. Here are the charges in that case.

940.19(1) Battery Misd. A Dismissed on Prosecutor’s Motion
Modifier: 939.62(1)(a) Repeater
Modifier: 968.075(1)(a) Domestic Abuse
2 947.01(1) Disorderly Conduct Misd. B Guilty Due to Guilty Plea
Modifier: 939.62(1)(a) Repeater
He also had a forfeiture case for possessing drug paraphernalia.
He also had a case from 2012 with these charges:

1 941.30(2) 2nd-Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety Felony G Charge Dismissed but Read In
Modifier: 939.63(1)(c) Use of a Dangerous Weapon

2 940.235(1) Strangulation and Suffocation Felony H Guilty Due to Guilty Plea

3 940.30 False Imprisonment Felony H Guilty Due to Guilty Plea
Modifier: 939.63(1)(b) Use of a Dangerous Weapon
4 940.19(1) Battery Misd. A Charge Dismissed but Read In
Modifier: 939.63(1)(a) Use of a Dangerous Weapon

5 947.01(1) Disorderly Conduct Misd. B Charge Dismissed but Read In
Modifier: 939.63(1)(a) Use of a Dangerous Weapon

6 947.01(1) Disorderly Conduct Misd. B Charge Dismissed but Read In

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/20...osha-shooting/

You've got a pretty extreme powder keg there. A dip#### teenager who's recently gotten into the ideology of the proud boys.

He's then confronted by a group of people with their own history of extreme violence and poor impulse control.

Then you've got the gun laws that allow teenagers to walk around with assault riffles, and a police force who's essentially deputized them.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #148
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Not getting involved at all is the general point.
There had been widespread looting and arson the previous two nights that the police were unable to prevent. Lots of people were standing on front of their property with guns in Kenosha that night. White and Black.

Quote:
Rittenhouse was one of many who were armed on Tuesday night in downtown Kenosha.

Wisconsin is an open-carry state, meaning anyone over 18 who can purchase a handgun or rifle can carry it in the open without a permit. In the streets around the Civic Center Park, where protests have begun every night since Jacob Blake was shot on Aug. 23, some residents were seen sitting on their front steps with firearms.

“I’m not part of any group,” said Ronald Grover, 32, as he stood Tuesday in front of the entranceway of his apartment building two blocks south of the central square. In addition to a long-arm rifle, Grover wore a bulletproof vest. Several of Grover’s other neighbors, some of them white and some Black, also held weapons as they sat on their front porches.

“I live here in this building and am protecting myself,” Grover said.

https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/milwauk...-of-a-militia-
That’s certainly not illegal in Wisconsin. So I guess the question is who else is allowed to carry firearms with the aim of protecting property. Neighbours? Friends? Volunteers from out of town? Politically motivated vigilantes? And how should the law distinguish between these people?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #149
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There had been widespread looting and arson the previous two nights that the police were unable to prevent. Lots of people were standing on front of their property with guns in Kenosha that night. White and Black.

That’s certainly not illegal in Wisconsin. So I guess the question is who else is allowed to carry firearms with the aim of protecting property. Neighbours? Friends? Volunteers from out of town? Politically motivated vigilantes? And how should the law distinguish between these people?
Well apparently they sat on their porches defending their property as opposed to wading through the crowd looking for trouble.

I think thats more in the spirit of 'defending.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #150
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Once Rittenhouse is acquitted, it will be fascinating watching him become a Trumpist hero, trotted out at the GOP rallies, etc etc.

I also can only imagine the numbers of arms at future protests and counter-protests in the US. They're going to put Hezbollah rallies in Beirut to shame.
Would any of us be surprised to see him run for office in the next few years?

He's basically going to have to embrace this as his identity now, so either right wing politics or a tell all book seem likely to be in his future.
flylock shox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #151
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It will be interesting to see him sue Biden and other news organizations like Sandmann did. Biden, running as President, smearing a 17 year old kid as a white supremacist was fairly repugnant.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #152
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It will be interesting to see him sue Biden and other news organizations like Sandmann did. Biden, running as President, smearing a 17 year old kid as a white supremacist was fairly repugnant.
If hanging out with white supremacists and making white supremacist hand gestures doesn’t make him a white supremacist, then what does?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #153
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Seems quite likely he'll be found not guilty for self defense reasons. Based on existing laws and rules that makes sense.

There is the question on self defense laws themselves and how they apply in situations like this. Basically he's out there armed and taking the law into his own hand. The thing he's supposedly protecting has no link to him. If he's not armed to the hilt does any of this happen? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/13/u...e=articleShare
That's the thing about guns. They are often the catalyst that turns a volatile situation into an explosive situation. No doubt carrying an AR15 made Rittenhouse feel 10 feet taller and invincible.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #154
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
If hanging out with white supremacists and making white supremacist hand gestures doesn’t make him a white supremacist, then what does?
Living in Cape Breton?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #155
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's the thing about guns. They are often the catalyst that turns a volatile situation into an explosive situation. No doubt carrying an AR15 made Rittenhouse feel 10 feet taller and invincible.
What about Grosskreutz? Haven't seen much criticism of a guy who showed up to a riot with a gun.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #156
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What about Grosskreutz? Haven't seen much criticism of a guy who showed up to a riot with a gun.
Weird how it's the guy who killed a bunch of people getting the focus.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #157
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not on trial and didn't shoot anyone, but sure, he can be criticized for brandishing a weapon as well. Although I think he was justified in trying to disarm Rittenhouse after he killed someone.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #158
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird how it's the guy who killed a bunch of people getting the focus.
Only because, in the cast of Grosskreutz he shot first.

You guys are letting your politics and opinions of gun laws get in the way of objectivity.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #159
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The left narrative that Kyle was an active shooter doesn't fit the witness and video evidence but, who cares amirite?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #160
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The left narrative that Kyle was an active shooter doesn't fit the witness and video evidence but, who cares amirite?
It's not a left or right issue. Probably at least half the people in this thread being critical of Rittenhouse and stupid gun laws are right-leaning or centrist based on their posting history on other topics.

I understand why he is likely going to be found not guilty and don't totally disagree with the logic, but there are numerous reasons why he can also be fairly criticized for the events that unfolded.

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa