Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #301
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
Thank you for posting that. When I have a moment tonight I'll go through the link provided.
So DK, what are your thoughts now on getting vaccinated?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #302
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
He is figuring out where to move the goalposts to.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #303
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
You are such a Knut.

I like it.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #304
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get vaccinated in Mexico with a Canadian approve vaccine? We’re trying to persuade an anti-vaxxer but it’s hard to wade through all the misinformation.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...etermine-fully

There's 4 vaccinates that are accepted and I believe you are allowed to mix them. But I don't know access in Mexico... However, I think the concerns are mixed up.

The friend or yourself, the vaccination in general is the easy part. It's the mandatory quarantine part that's the nightmare.

For someone who is an anti-vaxxer, you will likely not be able to convince them with logic. Any logic, efficacy etc. type of info you bring up, will likely have a counter point of at least a minimum of, "Blah, blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you through your bleating you sheeple." etc. You'll have to determine yourself based on your understanding of the individual as to how to approach it. The more honorable method is to attempt something like Street Epistemology, but it's a difficult method that takes a while to implement with only the intention to open up a conversation to soften the attitude against vaccination. It's not even a guarantee to work. It's basically Inception: Covid 19 for real life. You also may have to try and attempt to have conversations unconnected to logic. You basically just have to sit down and let them play out the internal dialogue and then clarify their own definitions and opinions and let themselves question their own opinion. This can take a while though, but it's perhaps the only possible first step for a die hard who is more than happy to berate someone who has an alternate opinion to themselves. There's a podcast on how to do this that was posted a few weeks ago in this forum. It's 3 hours long.

Other approaches that are perhaps underhanded include: Bets, YOLO, arguing about the headache the individual is creating and how that person will likely be on their own if the headaches come to fruition, bribes, guilt tripping/calling in a favor, pure rage and rebellion etc. Or you can basically use the logic, get frustrated, get angry, stop talking like the vast majority of interactions out there, but this method is much more likely to hurt the chances of people getting vaccinated rather than help, so I highly do not recommend this. I mean, for some it feels good to berate someone who isn't vaccinated and use them as an outlet, but it's not a beneficial action in the grand scheme of things. It is better to do nothing than that method. All of these likely will rear their ugly head as soon as you run into some form of the quarantine headache though. So keep that in mind.

Good luck. These conversations with the unvaxxinated are not fun for them or for you. I've had a few of them already. Some long, some exceptionally brief. I wouldn't recommend it. I just personally felt a moral obligation to try the harder method to approach friends and acquaintances of mine to see if I could contribute towards softening their stance and increase the odds that they might vaccinate vs contributing to the odds they absolutely do not vaccinate.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #305
cgy-sk-import
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had a terrible thought this morning, about those parents that choose not to get their kids vaccinated... and how awful this will turn as parents start to restrict birthday party invites, play dates, etc etc. It's not the young kids' faults that their parents are idiots.

Aren't childhood vaccines mandatory in the US? I assume the Covid one will be as well? Why not in Canada?

Ugh, I hate society right now.
cgy-sk-import is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgy-sk-import For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #306
cgy-sk-import
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Dark Knight. PLEASE get vaccinated. NOW. No more thinking, no more reading, no more pondering. PLEASE.
cgy-sk-import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #307
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy-sk-import View Post
I had a terrible thought this morning, about those parents that choose not to get their kids vaccinated... and how awful this will turn as parents start to restrict birthday party invites, play dates, etc etc. It's not the young kids' faults that their parents are idiots.

Aren't childhood vaccines mandatory in the US? I assume the Covid one will be as well? Why not in Canada?

Ugh, I hate society right now.
IT is happening right now in hockey. Some parents are pulling their kids out becuase of the Vaccination rules.

I know someone that is going to get rapid tests done weekly so his kid can play on the weekends.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #308
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IT is happening right now in hockey. Some parents are pulling their kids out becuase of the Vaccination rules.

I know someone that is going to get rapid tests done weekly so his kid can play on the weekends.
In fairness this only confirms what many of us knew about some parents in hockey.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #309
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
The day my six, soon to be seven, year old is vaccinated (well, 14 days after) is the day I REALLY stop caring about the uninterested anti-vaxxers.
I'll still care. I absolutely hate people who... well, maybe these days I can just stop at I hate people.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #310
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why I didn't bother to continue responding after seeing some of his responses. It became pretty clear after the first couple of replies what was going on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #311
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My kids are in a rec "league". Its just one ice time per week (per age group). Same day and place each week. 20-30 minutes of skills and then they scrimmage.

Fortunately there is two of these organizations in Lethbridge. As my kids were in both. One is for sure running so my kids won't miss hockey. The other one? I'm not confident it will run. That means hundreds of kids won't get to play hockey for a 2nd straight year, and for the 2nd year, its because their parents are stubborn and think they know better than health professionals.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #312
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced results from a Phase 2/3 trial showing a favorable safety profile and robust neutralizing antibody responses in children 5 to 11 years of age using a two-dose regimen of 10 µg administered 21 days apart, a smaller dose than the 30 µg dose used for people 12 and older. The antibody responses in the participants given 10 µg doses were comparable to those recorded in a previous Pfizer-BioNTech study in people 16 to 25 years of age immunized with 30 µg doses. The 10 µg dose was carefully selected as the preferred dose for safety, tolerability and immunogenicity in children 5 to 11 years of age. These are the first results from a pivotal trial of a COVID-19 vaccine in this age group.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...opline-results

F*** all the anti-vaxxers. Once my kids are safe, I won't give a f*** about this anymore
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #313
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This is why I didn't bother to continue responding after seeing some of his responses. It became pretty clear after the first couple of replies what was going on.

But his responses are so reasonable, maybe he's getting close to understanding why vaccines are a good thing.... Hah!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #314
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced results from a Phase 2/3 trial showing a favorable safety profile and robust neutralizing antibody responses in children 5 to 11 years of age using a two-dose regimen of 10 µg administered 21 days apart, a smaller dose than the 30 µg dose used for people 12 and older. The antibody responses in the participants given 10 µg doses were comparable to those recorded in a previous Pfizer-BioNTech study in people 16 to 25 years of age immunized with 30 µg doses. The 10 µg dose was carefully selected as the preferred dose for safety, tolerability and immunogenicity in children 5 to 11 years of age. These are the first results from a pivotal trial of a COVID-19 vaccine in this age group.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...opline-results

F*** all the anti-vaxxers. Once my kids are safe, I won't give a f*** about this anymore
Other than hospitals being ####ed I agree with you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #315
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Other than hospitals being ####ed I agree with you.
Don't forget the elderly and the vulnerable! But they're used to having no ####s given about them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #316
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1440043998240862210
Old 09-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #317
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just starting today?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #318
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Just starting today?
Probably didn't really need it before last week. Now that some of those people are finally deciding to get vaccinated, it makes sense to increase capacity now.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #319
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So the City is going to take on the task of filling the void left by our useless province?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #320
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Just starting today?
Also looks like a City run campaign, not a Provincial one.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote