Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #161
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNaMo View Post
https://www.science.org/content/arti...-remains-vital

The new analysis relies on the database of Maccabi Healthcare Services, which enrolls about 2.5 million Israelis. The study, led by Tal Patalon and Sivan Gazit at KSM, the system’s research and innovation arm, found in two analyses that never-infected people who were vaccinated in January and February were, in June, July, and the first half of August, six to 13 times more likely to get infected than unvaccinated people who were previously infected with the coronavirus. In one analysis, comparing more than 32,000 people in the health system, the risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19 was 27 times higher among the vaccinated, and the risk of hospitalization eight times higher.
You are talking in absolutes where in reality none exist. 'Natural' immunity is all over the board when it comes to t cell response. In some people it is excellent, in many others it is probably not enough to even be partially protective. What is almost absolute is that anyone who previously had Covid and has since been vaccinated has really outstanding response. There is very good reason for everyone to be vaccinated. Period
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #162
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I received Moderna as my first dose and Pfizer for my second. I just booked my 3rd dose- a 2nd Moderna. Wish me luck.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:21 AM   #163
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I received Moderna as my first dose and Pfizer for my second. I just booked my 3rd dose- a 2nd Moderna. Wish me luck.

I have seen this amongst other friends of mine who got mixed doses. Is AHS sending out notices saying people should get 3rd doses???

It feels strange to me to have young, healthy, 20 and 30's getting 3 doses in such a short time frame considering it doesn't appear to be medically needed.

If people are doing it for a vaccine passport reason for international travel, that I understand in some ways.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #164
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I did not get any notice from AHS. I just noticed that medical need, or travel requirements are the acceptable reasons.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #165
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
How does the university enforce it though? The U of C campus is public, anyone can go there at any time for any reason. Posting security at building entrances would be cost prohibitive, they'd need about 1000 security guards. Can't imagine they'd lock all doors and force students into just one entrance per building, even that would seem impossible.

I wonder if some of these mandates are going to be based on the honour system. Or only enforceable for registered students and official visitors (speakers, guest lecturers etc).

Because enforcing it for a random joe who decides to stop by Mac Hall for lunch doesn't seem feasible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
There's no way to enforce it. My daughter's going into Grade 12 this year, so I took her to the University this summer to show her what it's all about. All of the doors were locked, only to be opened by those with a OneCard, but we managed to tailgate into any building and go basically anywhere we wanted to. You can try to enforce access at the University, but it's way too spread out, and there are way too many people there for it to work.
It is essentially the honor system although it sounds like (for students/staff) the stick is similar to what outer businesses are doing - your declaration you are vaccinated will be what is used to enforce this. A false declaration could be considered grounds for dismissal. Talking to my kids yesterday and their understanding is these latest updates comes into effect for Winter session which is January. So basically they are giving students time to get vaccinated which is fair.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #166
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good news out of the UK regarding lasting protection against hospitalization. For Pfizer, it seems like protection is holding up quite well over time, and given that the UK went with the longer interval as well this should probably hold true for Canada.

Unfortunately, AstraZeneca is seeing a bigger drop off (though the confidence intervals are wide), which makes their talk of not needing boosters a bit puzzling.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...al_disease.pdf
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #167
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I did not get any notice from AHS. I just noticed that medical need, or travel requirements are the acceptable reasons.
There are qualifications on the medical need part of it. My daughter is going in, mid October, to have the rest of her thyroid removed due to a papillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosis. This is on top of a metabolic disorder & a connective tissue disorder that means her immune system is

But, despite all that, she can't get a 3rd booster, but if her dad & I decided to take a trip to the Bahamas, as somewhat reasonably healthy 2 doses vaxxed people, we can just waltz in and get a 3rd dose. That kind of irks me.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #168
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
There are qualifications on the medical need part of it. My daughter is going in, mid October, to have the rest of her thyroid removed due to a papillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosis. This is on top of a metabolic disorder & a connective tissue disorder that means her immune system is

But, despite all that, she can't get a 3rd booster, but if her dad & I decided to take a trip to the Bahamas, as somewhat reasonably healthy 2 doses vaxxed people, we can just waltz in and get a 3rd dose. That kind of irks me.
Did you try just going to a Pharmacy and telling them that she's immunocompromised? I'd find it incredibly surprising if any Pharmacist put up any resistance. Infact, most would be more than happy to dish out the shot as they are battling wastage on a daily basis.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #169
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My dad just got his third dose. He has kidney disease and does dialysis. He got a letter from his doctor that he qualifies for a booster. Maybe try talking to your doctor.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #170
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Did you try just going to a Pharmacy and telling them that she's immunocompromised? I'd find it incredibly surprising if any Pharmacist put up any resistance. Infact, most would be more than happy to dish out the shot as they are battling wastage on a daily basis.
I could try but our pharmacy already refused her, and they're well acquainted with her diagnoses. We are at the Foot next week, to see pre-op, with a couple of different doctors, one of whom is from internal medicine. We'll ask him to see if we can get a doc to sign off on her needing to have it, otherwise we'll just try walking in somewhere and seeing if she can get it. We're taking her random camping near Radium for a few days so we're away from people, leaving Thursday, as a last minute break before surgery and seeing oncology, so I'll try a random pharmacy when we get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
My dad just got his third dose. He has kidney disease and does dialysis. He got a letter from his doctor that he qualifies for a booster. Maybe try talking to your doctor.
I'd love to, if the man was even around, of late. He's been gone on holidays more than he's been in office the last 2 months & he's booked solid. I don't begrudge him the holidays, it's only him in his office, but it has made it difficult to even be seen. Hence asking the internal med doc for a letter. Probably a better chance getting one from him because we'll see him in a week, long before I could get an appointment with our GP and ideally, I'd like her to have had the booster prior to surgery.

Last edited by Minnie; 09-14-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #171
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news, Covid-19 found to harm sex function, and fertility in both men and women. Vaccines had no effect. So reproductive selection against anti-vaxxers?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mpression=true

Moderna is in trials with a combined Flu, COVID-19 and RSV shot
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #172
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

registered for the third dose (AZ, Pfizer) and was texted immediately saying I was eligible for it. booked an appointment for this afternoon, walked over to my local pharmacy and got it done.

easy peasy. The one-stop booking website is much better.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #173
cgy-sk-import
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You don't appear to be eligible. I'm not saying it's not possible that you are getting it since pharmacists are likely swimming in doses... just not sure why you're going for a 3rd dose now.
cgy-sk-import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #174
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
registered for the third dose (AZ, Pfizer) and was texted immediately saying I was eligible for it. booked an appointment for this afternoon, walked over to my local pharmacy and got it done.

easy peasy. The one-stop booking website is much better.
Pretty much the same for me. Registered, received instant notification to book, and found an appointment I can hit on the way home Thursday. Super easy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #175
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I booked my third dose on September 1, as soon as I was eligible. The first option I was offered was less than an hour later. I chose one the next day, as I didn't think I would have time to get to the location that quickly.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #176
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just heard about a dude in Toronto who has had four shots. I’m assuming his first was AZ early on and that he just received a third Pfizer booster.

Obviously he’s a pro-vaxxer lol.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #177
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy-sk-import View Post
You don't appear to be eligible. I'm not saying it's not possible that you are getting it since pharmacists are likely swimming in doses... just not sure why you're going for a 3rd dose now.
Mixed doses for your first are justification for your third dose for the purposes of travel. So whether you're imminently travelling internationally or just being proactive for when you are ready to travel, they aren't doing anything frowned upon.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #178
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that mixed doses are a travel issue is so ridiculous. The UK is only using mRNA vaccines for boosters (other than for allergy reasons), so the ~25M people who got AZ are going to be mixing, yet at present they won't recognize a mixed dose regimen for entry to their country.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-14-2021, 09:30 PM   #179
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The fact that mixed doses are a travel issue is so ridiculous. The UK is only using mRNA vaccines for boosters (other than for allergy reasons), so the ~25M people who got AZ are going to be mixing, yet at present they won't recognize a mixed dose regimen for entry to their country.
And for Cripe's sake we have data too! There's just zero reason
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #180
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Every country has a set of vaccines they have approved and dosing regimens that they consider valid. We're one of them, we just so happen to allow for mixed doses.

What Canada recognizes vs what's out there.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote