Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Bo Toxic
Lifetime Suspension

wranglers Brett Sutter call-up

12/22/2008 - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today that forward Brett Sutter has been recalled from Quad City (AHL).

Huh? How do you spell nepotism? A move clearly not based on hockey skills - I guess the General Manager's child needed a plane ride home to Calgary and this is a way for Darryl to expense the cost. Merry Christmas Lundmark, Greentree, Chucko, Peters, Van der Gulik...here's a lump of coal!
Bo Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Ch40s
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Toxic View Post
12/22/2008 - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today that forward Brett Sutter has been recalled from Quad City (AHL).

Huh? How do you spell nepotism? A move clearly not based on hockey skills - I guess the General Manager's child needed a plane ride home to Calgary and this is a way for Darryl to expense the cost. Merry Christmas Lundmark, Greentree, Chucko, Peters, Van der Gulik...here's a lump of coal!
You don't call up a skill guy to play a grinding role.

It essentially boils down to calling up Peters or Sutter. Peters was given a try in New York, now it's Sutter's turn.

That was a really dumb comment on your part.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here we go again... one big angry fata
cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Well it's probably worth having a separate thread in the prospects board. Just as long as no one freaks out and starts calling people Mexicans.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess, I think everything that can possibly be said is in the other thread.. I still dont see how this is a "get him home for the holidays" excuse, especially since the AHL is on a holiday break, and im PPPRRREEEEETTTYYYYYY sure the Sutters can afford to fly a kid home.

On the nepotism part, you think KK and the board would allow him to draft/recall his own kid without the hopes he could help either team. DIAF.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I guess, I think everything that can possibly be said is in the other thread.. I still dont see how this is a "get him home for the holidays" excuse, especially since the AHL is on a holiday break, and im PPPRRREEEEETTTYYYYYY sure the Sutters can afford to fly a kid home.
Yeah and actually I think I heard on the Fan that he was already in Calgary prior to the call-up
Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Bo Toxic
Lifetime Suspension

wranglers Grrrrrrr...

Here's a facewash for ya...grrrrrrr.....it's absolutely nothing but a convenient way for boy-Brett to come home, put his jammies on and claim his presents under the family Christmas tree. Peters played well, Chucko can grind, Greentree is big. You want to win games?...Lundmark just had two assists in three games - not bad. Call it what it is - boy-Brett is the GM's kid.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
JiriHrdina

Exp:

He was already home. No need to call him up for that reason.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

so there, he isnt even wasting team money on transportation since it was already done (this balances out the Boyd flight doesnt it?)

If only a situation happened, say last year, where we called up like 7 guys during the year from QC to have a taste of the big leagues.

What did you think was going to happen when Sutter drafted Baby Sutter? stick him in the minors to rot?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Ch40s
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a facewash for ya...grrrrrrr.....it's absolutely nothing but a convenient way for boy-Brett to come home, put his jammies on and claim his presents under the family Christmas tree. Peters played well, Chucko can grind, Greentree is big. You want to win games?...Lundmark just had two assists in three games - not bad. Call it what it is - boy-Brett is the GM's kid.
It doesn't matter which one of those players you call up, none of them are going to single-handedly win us a game.

I have a strange feeling that if his last name was anything but "Sutter", it would be universal kudos to Darryl for calling up a deserving player.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Bo Toxic
Lifetime Suspension

Ok, ok...let's see how boy-Brett plays. I'll concede he was going to be in Calgary anyway - might as well let him have a play-date with the bigger boys and see how he fares. I just know how hard all of the AHL guys work to get this kind of shot. Mr. Darryl shouldn't be so cavalier with the roster spots. Boy-Brett is a fine youngster, but he is not (yet) the cream of the crop down in Iowa (or Illinois, or wherever it is...)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Anyone calling Brett a boy is liable to get his ass whomped.

Anyways, is not having several deserving players and too few positions a good problem to have?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daryl: So what do YOU want for Christmas, Brett?

Brett: Well gee Dad, seeing as you're the GM of the Calgary Flames and all...and...uh...seeing as how you drafted me and all...uh...I'd kind of like to play in my first regular season NHL game.

Coolest Dad in the world.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, ok...let's see how boy-Brett plays. I'll concede he was going to be in Calgary anyway - might as well let him have a play-date with the bigger boys and see how he fares. I just know how hard all of the AHL guys work to get this kind of shot. Mr. Darryl shouldn't be so cavalier with the roster spots. Boy-Brett is a fine youngster, but he is not (yet) the cream of the crop down in Iowa (or Illinois, or wherever it is...)
Well this sentence right here pretty much shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

As someone who has seen the kid numerous times (Red Deer, development camps, prospect tourny, QC games) no one works harder then Brett Sutter. The kid gives it his all every shift every game. As someone already said if his last name was Smith no one would have a problem with the callup. Sutter deserves it and he'll do well in the limited amount of icetime he gets tomorrow.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorjeHrdina View Post
Well it's probably worth having a separate thread in the prospects board. Just as long as no one freaks out and starts calling people Mexicans.
Whatever you say Jorje

Love the name change btw
Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is the hardest worker on the team and maybe all of hockey. He gives 100% all the time that makes up for his lack of skills. Hes a grinder. Give him a shot. I was one of the few (other than teenie boppers and some cougars that liked him) He will do fine with the 3 mins of ice time as long as he doesnt drop the mitts.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i think he is certainly deserving of a shot. i think its pretty clear with the quick stints by lundmark and peters, that the team is just giving some young guys a look for a few games. while i do agree sutter wouldn't be the first name i would pick in the qc, he certainly is not undeserving of the call.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
i think he is certainly deserving of a shot. i think its pretty clear with the quick stints by lundmark and peters, that the team is just giving some young guys a look for a few games. while i do agree sutter wouldn't be the first name i would pick in the qc, he certainly is not undeserving of the call.
Not the first name for a top 6 but for a 4th line grinder I would pick him over everyone else other than cunning.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Daryl: So what do YOU want for Christmas, Brett?

Brett: Well gee Dad, seeing as you're the GM of the Calgary Flames and all...and...uh...seeing as how you drafted me and all...uh...I'd kind of like to play in my first regular season NHL game.

Coolest Dad in the world.

Funny, well done but I don't see anything wrong with Darryl calling up his kid. If he was down in the ECL, I'd call foul but from all reports he's worked for this chance and like all of our prospects I wish the best for him tomorrow.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
borr
Draft Pick

Default deserving callup

I can think of another Brett on the team that deserves a call up. Every year its said he is the most reliable guy on the backend. Mcgill says he is the most consistant each and every year. Is a leader on and off the ice, best plus/minus each year. What else would Sutter want?
borr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borr For This Useful Post: