Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #2501
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Really? I hate these fataing guys so much. They're not funny, they're not smart, and their opinions are either super obvious or totally irrelevant. They bring nothing to the table. But more than anything, they both somehow have the worst personalities any human could ever possess - that's notable because they were brought up in different countries so you'd think one would inch out the other for being more awful, but they tie for the worst. Idk, I just HATE them so much that I get actually mad when their drivel shows up in my feed.
Isn't this basically like 97% of Youtubers out there? What they're doing isn't exactly new to the format... which is also why I struggle watching stuff like this on YT:

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #2502
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite Youtube car videos are from guys like Tedward or TheTopher, as they do POV Binaural Audio reviews. No trying hard to be Top Gear in terms of camera work or comedy... just you going along for a drive with them as they give you their thoughts.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #2503
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tedward is great, especially watching with headphones for the binaural engine audio.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #2504
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never got into TH videos, not sure why but like Sliver never liked the guys. I like Matt Watson from Carwow and AutoTopNL. Find the stuff across the pond is better overall, and who doesn't like seeing an F1 car race all the latest super cars. Like the Straightpipes but watch them less frequently these days.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #2505
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It isn't fair to compare anything to SavageGeese, let's get that out of the way first, head and shoulders above anything out there, and deserves a much bigger audience. I have no idea how SG is not at a million subscribers yet.
I think it's because Mark is kind of an awkward guy. Ever so often he will say something cringey weird. I quite like their videos but I can tell right away if it's a certain vehicle like any modern sports car he's going to hate on it because it's "stupid fast", "isolated", and "numb" compared to cars of decades ago and quite frankly, takes like that have got really old. Today's cars are all that's offered new so I would rather reviewers focus on what's good relative to today's offerings and not cars of the past.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #2506
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, maybe. I do like a lot of the lookback videos he has done, the Integra Type-R one being timely given the "new Integra" *gag* announcement.

Also, Mat Watson is good too, I've been binging carwow videos during my morning cardio. Easy way to make an hour and a half fly by.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #2507
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It's tough to beat Doug DeMuro for his real-time analysis and comparative analysis of cars. He remembers almost everything he drives and is able to recall drives in other cars so well and to compare/contrast them with what he's currently reviewing. I find that continuous frame of reference update gives you a great feel for how the car stacks up against other vehicles.

The Quirks and Features section I've grown a little bored with unless it's a newly redesigned car or something I'm actually interested in owning, but generally I don't need to see the trunk, the glovebox and seven submenus deep into the infotainment for something weird to make fun of.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #2508
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug DeMuro is goofy and fun, I do like him a lot
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #2509
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug can't actually drive, though - not that I can either but I'd like someone competent on a race track to test race cars - and also, I'm not sure how a person could find any youtuber annoying but not be annoyed by DeMuro. I'm fine with him, but he's objectively annoying.

The thing I don't like about his car reviews is that he deliberately scripts them to take as long as possible to say anything to try to get people to watch a 20 minute video that should take 12 minutes. "Next up we look at another curious feature in the interior, not something you see every day, and that would be... the window wiper switch. Yes, this car has a switch for the window wipers, and you can see it's located over here, next to the hazard lights, where you wouldn't expect to find a window wiper switch. You flip it up for on and down for off. Very unusual decision, but that's what they decided to do here." Over and over and over.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #2510
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like a doofus for just now hearing about savagegeese! Learned a few new tidbits about my ride.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #2511
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Doug can't actually drive, though - not that I can either but I'd like someone competent on a race track to test race cars - and also, I'm not sure how a person could find any youtuber annoying but not be annoyed by DeMuro. I'm fine with him, but he's objectively annoying.

The thing I don't like about his car reviews is that he deliberately scripts them to take as long as possible to say anything to try to get people to watch a 20 minute video that should take 12 minutes. "Next up we look at another curious feature in the interior, not something you see every day, and that would be... the window wiper switch. Yes, this car has a switch for the window wipers, and you can see it's located over here, next to the hazard lights, where you wouldn't expect to find a window wiper switch. You flip it up for on and down for off. Very unusual decision, but that's what they decided to do here." Over and over and over.
Agree 100%. I fast forward the quirks and features bit more often than not because it's mainly nonsense. I also stop before the Doug Score because IDGAF about that. And yeah, he's annoying, but he's authentic. James and Thomas from TH are try-hards (IMO)...they act like how they think cool/chill car reviewers should act, but I don't buy it.

Doug would be annoying to have a beer with because he'd exhaust you with his weird intense enthusiasm. James and Thomas would be annoying because you'd be cringing at their crappy jokes, cheesy style, and dooshy vibe. You'd be looking at your friends apologetically for bringing these two guys out for wings and your whole group would want to kill you. They're like total losers who think they're now cool, but they'll always be giant losers to me. I'll take Doug over those two any day. Plus - and most importantly - Doug is waaaaaaaaaay more knowledgeable about cars than the other two.

Yeah, Doug doesn't seem like the best driver. Plus, he doesn't like to keep his cars clean. I don't understand that part of him. Most car guys I know like having a clean vehicle. Every car I've ever had, no matter how lame, I've always kept generally really clean. That Doug doesn't do that with his cars bothers me more than it should.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #2512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Euro focused but I find EVO Magazine reviews and comparisons are really good for sports cars and hot hatches as Steve Stutcliffe is a really good driver and reviewer and doesn't resort to just just drifting around road courses like Chris Harris.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #2513
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Euro focused but I find EVO Magazine reviews and comparisons are really good for sports cars and hot hatches as Steve Stutcliffe is a really good driver and reviewer and doesn't resort to just just drifting around road courses like Chris Harris.

IMO - Harry Catchpole /end thread.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #2514
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
IMO - Harry Catchpole /end thread.
He's good too. Does good road reviews.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #2515
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a schtick.
Stay Gold Pony Boy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #2516
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of Evo, Harry Metcalfe (founded Evo) has good videos (Harry's Garage) if you like his taste in cars old and new. Plus he seems to be a decent driver.

Plus plus he has a companion channel all about his farm.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #2517
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like throttlehouse. They're good despite the complaints.
We get the cost of these cars in Canadian, we get Canadian real time perspectives on day to day living with one of these things. We get Canadian speedometer. It's tailored to my real environment. I dont have to second guess MPH. It's a nice change.

As a car nerd who will never sit in these things, I appreciate the "anyone can see the things they point out" breakdowns.

There's other Candian car review content but they don't do it nearly as well as Thomas and James. Not even close.

Anyways, there's a shoe for every foot. Some will Haye thrpttlehouse, other will love them. I love them. It's fun.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #2518
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so nothing official or imminent, but I'm starting to think about buying a new used vehicle. Either a small sedan or hatchback, don't want an SUV, not entirely opposed to a crossover but emphasis on smaller commuter car that would do well with the occasional road trip.

Something at or north of 2016, $30kish. Would love AWD but not required. Don't think I'm interested in domestic. I've been driving an 05 Mazda 3 for years now and it's been a great car. I LOVE Audi and quite fond of VW (love the looks of the GTI for instance) but honestly no idea how good they are. I also like the Subaru Impreza.

So if someone is holding a gun to your head right now and demanded you buy a car within those specs, what would you buy?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-01-2021 at 02:59 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #2519
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

GTI is never a bad choice, one of the very best cars for the money. We had a 2012 until 2018, wife still misses it. Put 70k km on it with zero issues.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #2520
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

AWD VW Sportwagen would fit the bill. There are a few of us on here with one and we are all big fans. Scroopy Noopers, Misterpants and me. Great cars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: