Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I find that replacing one actor for another doesn't work at all in many cases. I would imagine replacing Fisher with someone else would be a lot more like the disaster that was the third Mummy movie when Rachel Weisz was replaced than it would something like a Bond or Doctor changeover.

Personally, I'd rather they write Leia out of the series.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she has a meaningful role in the story it needs to be recast. If its similar in scope to Tarkins in rouge 1 then the CGI option is fine.

My strategy, as long as she doesn't turn out to be Rey's mother and Luke hasn't died yet would be to give the familial relationship stuff to Luke and have a different leader of the Resistance? Then have Leia as CGI in the odd scene.

Otherwise if they committed her to be Rey's mother figure and they don't want to change it needs to be recast.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #43
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

My choices for recasting Leia if they decide to go that route:

1. Sigourney Weaver
2. Mary McDonnell
3. Meryl Streep

All three of them are around the same age as Fisher, and they've got the acting chops to pull off the role.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #44
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also like the Poochie strategy.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #45
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that they did not a significant role for her her in terms of screen time for episode IX. No disrespect but her and Mark Hamill do not really have the acting chops or charisma anymore to carry off such a big budget movie.

I watched the final scene again the other day and the "gravitas" of Luke revealing himself and pulling back his hood is rather comical on second viewing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #47
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think how much better th CGI will be by the time they need it ! GO cGI go
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #48
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

She needs to be recast. There are good actresses out there who will do a great service to the character of Leia.

And like I said earlier, it's not necessarily old Carrie Fisher that is iconic. It's young Carrie. You can replace old Carrie with a talented actress to give her the sendoff that character Leia deserves.

A computer will never recreate the emotion a talented actress can deliver.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #49
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
She needs to be recast. There are good actresses out there who will do a great service to the character of Leia.

And like I said earlier, it's not necessarily old Carrie Fisher that is iconic. It's young Carrie. You can replace old Carrie with a talented actress to give her the sendoff that character Leia deserves.

A computer will never recreate the emotion a talented actress can deliver.
and replacing one person with a completely different person will never "replace" that person. Sure you may be able to get away with it on a Fresh mid-90s tv show about a prince, but re-casting a Princess in the biggest movie franchise of all time is another story...

Leia isn't going to be a core part of any of these movies. Just like in TFA, she was likely only keyed up for a few scenes - perhaps important ones, but re-casting would be far more jarring than simply limiting her importance (with the use of CGI)/writing her out.

Re-casting her would be awful. Rewrite some scenes, change her importance if required, and use CGI in the few scenes you do require.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #50
photon

Exp:

Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would assume that all of her shots for the next movie are done, so its pretty easy to limit her role in the final movie to a couple of minutes, which means that CGI would be easily done.

I'm just not sold on another Princess Leia, I think it would hurt my heart more then anything else.

In the final role her moment could be either her greeting her brother or mourning him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can agree to disagree, but I think the character Leia deserves a better sendoff than a computerized scene, and it should be done by a talented actress.

You can barely tell that old Carrie is Leia. The years have not exactly been kind to her.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
New Spock

Recasting is in the eye of the beholder. It works a little better when they recast and reshape the entire universe of the story like the Star Trek alternate time-line reboot and they were also playing younger versions of their characters.

But recasting only one principle actor/actress in a long-going series in the same continuity is incredibly jarring to some people.

Personally, I can't even watch The Dark Knight because recasting the Katie Holmes character completely takes out the emotional connection they created in the first movie so her death at the hands of the Joker was completely empty because Maggie Gyllenhaal (while ostensibly could be considered to have better acting chops) didn't look an iota like her and didn't have any of the vulnerability. It just completely took me out of every scene and make suspending my disbelief even more difficult. Another case would be 3 failed recastings of John Connor in all the recent Terminator movies. You can't buy that it's the same character that you saw in T2.

Kudos however, to Rogue One for pulling off Mon Mothma very well. It was actually a hybrid recasting because the original actress in ROTJ only played a minimal role with a easily replicated look and speaking style. The actress in Rogue One was actually the same one who played young Mon Mothma in the prequels. This works for background characters and actors that the audience is unfamiliar with but not primary ones because you feel like you know those people like the back of your hand.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-11-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #54
photon

Exp:

Definitely in the eye of the beholder, none of the recastings you mention bothered me at all, while the CGI people bumps me out of the suspension of disbelief much easier.

And it's not the CGI itself, because I like animated movies and have no problem being emotionally engaged with Moana or whatever. I felt more for K-2SO in Rogue One than the actual humans even. It's the attempt at reproducing a human face, it feels like the CGI face isn't quite attached properly to the underlying actor so it moves minutely differently. Not facial movements, but movements of the entire face with respect to the head, body, and camera movements.

Remember CGI Legolas? We learn from an early age to do the mental calculus to predict movements of objects. A young child can catch a ball. So our brains are really good at picking out movements that seemingly defy physics, at least ones that we're familiar with (motions of falling through arcs, swinging, etc). Stuff we're not familiar with (i.e. catching someone falling off a building) doesn't jar us the same way, so when Superman catches Lois our brain doesn't say 'she should be paste' (making the falling much slower than would really be helps too).

Anyway I'm rambling, I agree that it is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone is going to have different tolerances to different things based on many different factors. Some people are going to be bothered by whatever path they choose, so they might as well pick the one that I want they want.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant:

Old 01-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #56
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Official:

Quote:
We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.
http://www.starwars.com/news/a-state...ing-new-rumors
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #57
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Relevant:
Spoiler!

there's some major photoshop tomfoolery going on there. Sebastian Stan normally looks like this:

but if he wants to sign on as a related Skywalker (he'd fit right in since he's already been sporting a metal arm in movies for a while) that would be alright.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #58
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Good decision.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #59
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Good decision.
I have to think they're writing her out. Perhaps leaving the fight due to grief?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #60
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't like writing out if it seems sudden and out of place with the story. Perhaps write her role into one of lesser significance and recast with some of the massive pool of talent out there in that age range? Maybe she could have a new costume that partially hides her face/features? it could be pulled off without being too glaring. Some people see old ladies and think most of them look the same anyways. The voice and expressions will be key.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote