Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I had no issue with the use of CGI on Tarkin and young Leah - but it was also for pretty basic scenes.

Trying to do that for a emotional scene with Luke or Kylo probably doesn't work - I just don't think you can get that type of emotional interaction from the CGI at this point in time.

Personally I think they should just work around it and have her also have a dignified death in VIII, causing us to hate Snoke even more.

Then have her show up as a CGI force ghost in VIX - which would be pretty easy to do IMO.
Yeah, Leia could be a force ghost since she is part of the powerful force family. That would work in CG more than a real person.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #22
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
destroy the Falcon? this time you've gone too far, Cap. this isn't Star Trek where the Enterprise gets trashed every single movie and they just head back to Utopia Planitia for a shiny new model.

besides, that thing has taken direct poundings from pursuing star destroyers, tie fighters, asteroid fields, exploding death stars, and Rey knocking it around like she just polished off a bottle of Qui Gon's gin. Kylo would have a tough time blowing it up...unless I suppose he used ion cannons first.
Yeah, I know I'm a jerk, but hear me out.

This is the Star Wars that bridges the OT characters to a new generation of characters. At the end of the day the first to go was Han. At some point Luke has to eat a light saber and I'm convinced that Leia would have had to either die of leave.

The Falcon itself is a character in the play, its more of a character in its way then C3PO and R2D2.

So think of the heart punch of seeing the Falcon desperately trying to evade Kylo Ren's ship o. We see Chewie and Leia in the cockpit. Leia looks over at Chewie and pulls the hyperspace level and we hear the chugging sound of the old girls heart finally failing one last time.

Then we see Ren ordering the ship to open fire and the Falcon is hit, it staggers like its trying one last time to escape death, then its hit again and a third time and it finally gives up and explodes.

We flash to Luke's island temple where he's talking to Rey, when he suddenly staggers and falls to his knees and starts weeping. Rey asks him what's wrong and he says "The worse thing possible" Then we flash to Ren looking out the window of his Star Destroyer, he sags for a second and then straightens up and orders the ship to Light speed.

That would be the end of Episode 8, Carrie gets a meaningful ending. Chewie gets a meaningful ending. We see the Falcon get a heroic ending.

Kylo Ren can no longer go back. We have the hero's journey set up for Luke and Rey.

In Episode 9 it can start with Luke standing over a cairn when we see Leia's force ghost appears (which can be CGI) it can be young Leia or old Leia. She and Luke have a brief conversation where Luke blames himself and Leia forgives him and says goodbye.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I can't support a force ghost Leia. It was supposed to be a really difficult thing to do, if an untrained person can become a force ghost then every Jedi should be a force ghost.

And Episode 8 is already in the can, we don't know if they could squeeze in a meaningful death with reshoots that don't mangle the film, and I really want to see what they had planned for Episode 9 instead of them having to rewrite Leia out of it.

To the point that I think I'd support CGI Fisher over a Episode 9 rewrite.

1. Recast.
2. CGI.
3. Something else.
4. Rewrite.
50. Force ghost Leia.

Oh I forgot:

0. Dark side half robot masked Leia who rules the galaxy.

EDIT: This is how people start writing fan fiction isn't it?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's weird to think what Yoda had to go through to acquire the skills to become a Force ghost and everybody else just dies and voila, there they are.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well the only other thing Obi Wan had to do while hiding in the desert was kill Darth Maul again apparently, so makes sense for him.

I kinda have a problem with force ghost Vader too.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #27
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I can't support a force ghost Leia. It was supposed to be a really difficult thing to do, if an untrained person can become a force ghost then every Jedi should be a force ghost.

And Episode 8 is already in the can, we don't know if they could squeeze in a meaningful death with reshoots that don't mangle the film, and I really want to see what they had planned for Episode 9 instead of them having to rewrite Leia out of it.

1. Recast.
2. CGI.
3. Something else.
4. Rewrite.
50. Force ghost Leia.

Oh I forgot:

Could not agree more. It needs to be a recast by a talented actress as the character Leia deserves a heroic sendoff.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

1. Recast.
2. CGI.
3. Something else.
4. Rewrite.
50. Force ghost Leia.

Oh I forgot:

00. Captain Phasma is briefly seen without her helmet on and we see (through 2.8 seconds of CGI) that Phasma is actually Leia, then she wears the helmet for the rest of the series.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #29
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Huh, I don't like the idea of a recast at all.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's weird to think what Yoda had to go through to acquire the skills to become a Force ghost and everybody else just dies and voila, there they are.
It's not really everybody though. She's the daughter of Darth Vader. She never truly trained as a Jedi but who knows if Luke didn't teach her a few tricks in the 30 ABY and she simply chose not to express herself as force sensitive while taking a political/military leadership position.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Well the only other thing Obi Wan had to do while hiding in the desert was kill Darth Maul again apparently, so makes sense for him.

I kinda have a problem with force ghost Vader too.
I think in RoTJ, the intent was that any force sensitive Jedi would just go to the Jedi afterlife. That's why Vader just appears to create a "happy ending"

It was only some prequel throwaway lines and expanded universe stuff that mentions how much effort and years of study Obi Wan had to put in to learn the secret to holding his spirit together without dispersing into the force.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I think in RoTJ, the intent was that any force sensitive Jedi would just go to the Jedi afterlife. That's why Vader just appears to create a "happy ending"

It was only some prequel throwaway lines and expanded universe stuff that mentions how much effort and years of study Obi Wan had to put in to learn the secret to holding his spirit together without dispersing into the force.

This was in the Clone Wars where Yoda had to learn this through various trials. Clone Wars is still canon material, AFAIK.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #33
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somebody get George Lucas out of retirement and get him on it:
Recut the last third of TFA, using a combination of CGI and unused footage to reverse the roles of Leia and Han; Leia gets stabbed by her kid, Han waits around helplessly at the rebel base with a sudden case of hyper-rapture. It look totally seamless, guys, trust me. Then destroy all footage of any other version. Rewrite future scripts as necessary: change focus to galactic politics to mask any story incoherency. Done.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
That's why Vader just appears to create a "happy ending"
A Vader "happy ending"?

Well, he does like to force choke people a lot, I guess it wouldn't just work on throats.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Marisa Tomei or nothing.

That is weird. She is my celebrity crush. Was just thinking about her after catching Slums of Beverly Hills last night on Netflix. Kind of a weird choice though for Post-TFA Leia.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #36
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please, please, do not recast or do CGI.

Have you seen Star Trek Beyond? That's how you handle a beloved, franchise icon's real world death. Not any of this splicing and dicing -- CGI would be practically disrespectful.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 AM   #37
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #38
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The falcon deserves a better death than being blown up dead in the water! Leia needs to fly into another death star like Randy Quaid in Independence Day. "Hey Sonny boy... MAAAMMMMAAAS HOOOMMMEEE!!!"

/profit

As far as Leia goes in episode 9, if I had to vote for one I would pick a recast I guess.. although none of the options seem great.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Somebody get George Lucas out of retirement and get him on it:
Recut the last third of TFA, using a combination of CGI and unused footage to reverse the roles of Leia and Han; Leia gets stabbed by her kid, Han waits around helplessly at the rebel base with a sudden case of hyper-rapture. It look totally seamless, guys, trust me. Then destroy all footage of any other version. Rewrite future scripts as necessary: change focus to galactic politics to mask any story incoherency. Done.
No, Han will just move his body rapidly at 0.5 past light speeed in a jerking motion to avoid his son's lightsaber extension just as he was able to deftly move his head out of the way from Greedo's blaster shot when Greedo shot first.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #40
KPJ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp: