Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #121
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Dont the leafs play tonight how have they not handed down the suspension yet?
I suspect the Leafs already know. They’re probably waiting to put together that video before making it public.

As silly as waiting for a video is, it at least helps with transparency and managing the situation up front. In such a tense situation I wouldn’t blame the league for delaying their announcement until they have public consumption material ready
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #122
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Dont the leafs play tonight how have they not handed down the suspension yet?
I think the in-person hearing means he gets minimum one game, so they don't necessarily need to decide before the game.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #123
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
No no.... I didn't put words in your mouth. You actually typed that he's not a bad guy and he just snaps sometimes (paraphrasing). And if you took my post to be some personal attack, that wasn't the point I was trying to make, and I didn't mean it as an attack on you personally. But I do think Kadri is a bad guy, and he's exactly the type of guy that is bringing contact in the game under closer scrutiny... Not just illegal contact, but all contact.

As for my high horse, I'll reserve the right to speak out against aggressive contact that is outside the rules of the game, conducted by idiots that can't control their emotions. The alternative is to let everyone have their way, and say nothing, until the league has no choice but to start limiting legal contact (which I like, and IS part of the game).
What are your thoughts on Matthew Tkachuk? Is he also a bad guy, or he's OK because he plays for the Flames?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #124
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynwa03 View Post
What are your thoughts on Matthew Tkachuk? Is he also a bad guy, or he's OK because he plays for the Flames?
When Tkachuk does the kinds of things Kadri does on the same pathological level then we can compare apples and apples.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #125
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Does Tkachuk have a reputation for making dangerous hits that jeopardize player safety and longterm health? Beyond his dirty elbow on Drew Doughty for which he was suspended in his rookie season I can't think of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #126
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
When Tkachuk does the kinds of things Kadri does on the same pathological level then we can compare apples and apples.
The League has suspended Tkachuk 3 times. Once for a pretty blatant elbow to the head, like the kind the poster i quoted was talking about.

And how exactly can two hits/suspensions every be compared apple to apple?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #127
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Does Tkachuk have a reputation for making dangerous hits that jeopardize player safety and longterm health? Beyond his dirty elbow on Drew Doughty for which he was suspended in his rookie season I can't think of any.
Tkachuk is what you would term a 'repeat offender.'

For the record, I don't think this makes Kadri a 'bad guy' , nor do I think Tkachuk is. Some people in this thread though don't seem to think so.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #128
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The League has suspended Tkachuk 3 times. Once for a pretty blatant elbow to the head, like the kind the poster i quoted was talking about.

If you are talking about the Doughty one, IMO, it was not blatant - it was a mis-executed back bump like he does almost every game (and which Peter Forsberg did routinely). He deserved a suspension, but I don't think an intent to injure was there, unlike a forward looking crosscheck to the face is.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #129
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Why exactly are we talking about this? Not at all relevant, and not at all similar. Kadri is a loose cannon and gets suspended when he blows his lid, and the most recent episode is the topic of this thread. How can you possibly try goating people with comparing the two, then act like it's impossible to compare.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #130
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I actually didn't like the elbow on Doughty, but at the same time I don't like Doughty. So I'm torn there. To be honest, I have yet to see him head hunt a guy, or cross check someone in the face. Actually, most of the time, it's somebody taking a cheap shot at him. I actually don't mind him baiting guys into giving him a slash. Love the grin he flashes when he talks somebody into taking a stupid penalty. But if your suggesting there is a parallel between the way Kadri and Tkachuk play the game, I really don't see it.

There is a massive difference between little wacks and stick infractions, and cross checking a guy without the puck in the yap. And when Sean Avery is putting out a video that you didn't go far enough because you didn't knock all his teeth out, that's your first clue you have both feet on the other side of the line.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #131
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess I look at the 2 Tkachuk suspensions (outside of the dirty reverse elbow on Doughty) as #### disturber level, rather than deliberate attempts to injure.

Kadri is known for the latter, and has done it multiple times.

If anything, even though he's only been in the league 3 years, Tkachuk seems like a guy that is learning from his own mistakes.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #132
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk is what you would term a 'repeat offender.'

For the record, I don't think this makes Kadri a 'bad guy' , nor do I think Tkachuk is. Some people in this thread though don't seem to think so.

Bad guy or not it's matter of opinion, Kadri has a history of violence or tendency to violence. In that memorable World Junior Championship game, he did a throw slash to the opposition player. Again, he did the throw slash to Giodano. He is a offender to cross checking players on the head, neck and face.

Is he a bad guy? Or he is not a bad guy, he's just violent?

Final question, why is Tkachuk a repeat offender? When did he "repeat" his offense?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #133
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Why exactly are we talking about this? Not at all relevant, and not at all similar. Kadri is a loose cannon and gets suspended when he blows his lid, and the most recent episode is the topic of this thread. How can you possibly try goating people with comparing the two, then act like it's impossible to compare.
Honestly not goading anyone. My post was in response to post 93.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #134
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is a dick.

Kadri is a dangerous dick.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 04-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #135
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Tkachuk is a dick.
And he’s not just any dick, he’s our dick.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #136
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I actually didn't like the elbow on Doughty, but at the same time I don't like Doughty. So I'm torn there. To be honest, I have yet to see him head hunt a guy, or cross check someone in the face. Actually, most of the time, it's somebody taking a cheap shot at him. I actually don't mind him baiting guys into giving him a slash. Love the grin he flashes when he talks somebody into taking a stupid penalty. But if your suggesting there is a parallel between the way Kadri and Tkachuk play the game, I really don't see it.

There is a massive difference between little wacks and stick infractions, and cross checking a guy without the puck in the yap. And when Sean Avery is putting out a video that you didn't go far enough because you didn't knock all his teeth out, that's your first clue you have both feet on the other side of the line.
Doesn't really answer the question, but judging by the first line i think i have my answer lol

It's all dependent on who does the hitting and who is being hit to you. You don't like Kadri personally, therefore he's a 'bad guy.'
Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #137
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

So if the league doesn't announce anything by 7:00, can Kadri play?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #138
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
So if the league doesn't announce anything by 7:00, can Kadri play?
No. It's a given that he is suspended. They just have to announced for how long.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #139
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't really answer the question, but judging by the first line i think i have my answer lol

It's all dependent on who does the hitting and who is being hit to you. You don't like Kadri personally, therefore he's a 'bad guy.'
Exactly what I said. You have a penchant for cutting through verbiage and making your own point.

But to take my point a step further, if somebody from Boston paid Kadri back with a thunderous clean hit, I would not shed a tear, and would absolutely applaud it. Doughty is no choir boy, so it's hard for me to feel too bad for him. But I don't like the way Tkachuk decided to inflict punishment.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #140
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspended for the rest of the first round it looks like (so 3-5 games). Sounds about right, if potentially on the lighter side.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote