Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Easily. Averaged 22 mins this season.

I don’t understand the “Flames weren’t the better team in game 1” talk. How quickly we forget.
They were the better team for 1/3 periods. Yes they got the win but it took one of the great goaltending performances in Flames playoff history.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #22
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Game is on CNBC in the US tonight, not NBCSN
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's only the beginning of the first round and we are talking about a 23 year old just entering his prime and physical peak. Maybe in the conference finals we could discuss burnout at 25 minutes per night but it's not going to be a problem every 2nd day for the first round. He will look as fresh on game 7 of this series as he did on game 1.
If Flames play the body on him I bet we don't see close to 25mins per night. If the Avs were playing the Blues or Jets right now they would be feeling all kinds of hurt.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #24
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
If Flames play the body on him I bet we don't see close to 25mins per night. If the Avs were playing the Blues or Jets right now they would be feeling all kinds of hurt.
He’s going to play close to 25 mins a night.

That’s the way they play. Flames have to beat them.

Relying on “maybe we will get less MacKinnon” is a weak game plan.

We’re going to see a lot of him, and that’s fine. The Flames can beat this team.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would like to see Gaudreaus minutes bumped up. Our depth is wonderful but we need the top guys to win it for us. Staying out of the box would help him too
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #26
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally I want to see Jankowski and Monahan up their game. Neal can be parked in the stands.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Best of luck with that... try squeezing him out along the boards, decent chance he gets past you and boom, 2 on 1. It's not like it's never occurred to teams to try to play physical with him, he's just too good.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Checking in from enemy territory...here with two buddies in Denver, ready for Game 3. Go Flames Go!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Best of luck with that... try squeezing him out along the boards, decent chance he gets past you and boom, 2 on 1. It's not like it's never occurred to teams to try to play physical with him, he's just too good.
Yep. I counted at least 4 or 5 times on Saturday where he was able to quickly evade a body check attempt and scamper away.

He's obviously found another gear, you aren't going to stop him. All you can do is try to limit the number of AAA chances he gets, but he is going to continue scoring this series. That's almost fact. Flames need to counter with the top line outscoring him with the depth chipping in occasionally. Mangie & Hath did their part in game one. Maybe the d-corp or Janko's line contribute this game?

Still confident the big line will put up a big game performance. Mony's goal may have woken up the beast because we saw the regular season Flames in OT on Saturday.

I freaking love (and hate) playoffs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames vs. MacKinnon: round 3.

The Avs remind me so much of the Oilers with the way they ride their shiny toy. Time for the team to step up and prove why they're the superior/deeper team. They need to come out flying tonight, and I expect we'll see a much stronger effort than game 2.

I'm gonna say 4-2 Flames.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #31
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Would like to see Gaudreaus minutes bumped up. Our depth is wonderful but we need the top guys to win it for us. Staying out of the box would help him too
Yup. I think the way you counter MacKinnon's minutes is you play your top line for more than 14-15 minutes and make the Avs play defence. I wonder if too much emphasis was put on line matching at home, whereas on the road you mostly just let your guys play.

Of course, that requires the top line to be able to sustain pressure in the O-zone -- perhaps you give Frolik or Backlund some PK minutes and let Lindholm focus solely on 5-on-5 and the PP1.

GFG!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #32
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Game is on CNBC in the US tonight, not NBCSN
Updated, thanks.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #33
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice for Flames to score a goal or two in the first period. Put a end to the sluggish starts.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
They were the better team for 1/3 periods. Yes they got the win but it took one of the great goaltending performances in Flames playoff history.
I don't agree with that at all.

In game two the Avalanche were the better team in all three regulation periods, but I have game one as ...
  • Calgary first half of first, Colorado with powerplays to finish the period.
  • Calgary takes another minor and is hurting in period two, but they right the ship and out play the Avalanche the rest of the period; take the lead.
  • Calgary plays a great shut down third period and doesn't give up much (Flames 4-2 in five on five high danger chances in the third)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #35
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In Montreal at the famous Chez Claudette eating the best damn poutine of my life! In flames gear of course and getting g some nods of approval from the locals.

Flames will chase Grubauer tonight after the first line comes ALIVE! Let's go Flames!
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #36
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

In game two the Avalanche were the better team in all three regulation periods, but I have game one as ...
  • Calgary takes another minor and is hurting in period two, but they right the ship and out play the Avalanche the rest of the period; take the lead.
  • Calgary plays a great shut down third period and doesn't give up much (Flames 4-2 in five on five high danger chances in the third)
Agreed.

Flames weren't outplayed in game one outside of the ref's handing Colorado some easy PP's. They had a few dangerous shifts but they never carried the play. Once Calgary started to roll they shut them down.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #37
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Totally disagree. The Flames had nothing going on in that game until Mangiapane scored. Nothing outside of a couple of really good shifts from the 3M line. Defensively they weren't bad but their passing was atrocious and the first line was invisible. I was at that game and there's no way you can convince me the Flames were the the better team for the first two periods of that game. Agreed on the 3rd period but IMO that's the only period of this series the Flames were clearly better. Sometimes goaltenders steal games in the playoffs. Flames fans don't need to apologize for this or pretend they were the better team on a night they clearly weren't.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-15-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Totally disagree. The Flames had nothing going on in that game until Mangiapane scored. Nothing outside of a couple of really good shifts from the 3M line. I was at that game and there's no way you can convince me the Flames were the the better team for the first two periods of that game. Agreed on the 3rd period but IMO that's the only period of this series the Flames were clearly better.
This is nonsense. The Flames started to tilt the ice at the 6:00 or 7:00 mark of the second period, and never looked back.In that time Colorado had six shots courtesy of a couple power plays, and then the Flames outshot them 12-2. Mangiapane didn’t score until 14:00 in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #40
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many obvious slashing calls will be missed tonight and how many phantom diving penalties will be called by these god awful officials.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: