Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #3501
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Netflix cancelled The OA today.

That's disappointing. The OA was one of the handful of shows I really got into the last few years. But to be honest I'm not even that surprised. It must have been a tough sell to average Joe. It's not that accessible to casual fans; even I bailed the first time around, and I ascended from average a long time ago.
I wonder if Amazon or someone else picks it up.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #3502
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I wonder if Amazon or someone else picks it up.
I don't know how that works in this era of television, where a deep catalogue seems key to the streamer's ability to retain subscribers. Has a show ever been picked up by one pure streaming service after another? (not like, say, SyFy or NBC abandoning a show and Amazon or Netflix picking it up)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #3503
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I prefer non-smart TV's that i can add a fire stick or apple TV to. I find the apps on the TV's terrible.
The apps on my new LG are excellent. They launch quickly and are fully featured. I’m not sure if that will always be the case because I hope to keep the TV up to 10 years. It doesn’t have Crave unfortunately.

I mostly use my Apple TV 4K and my Nvidia Shield. The latter is starting to show its age and hopefully they update it soon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #3504
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how that works in this era of television, where a deep catalogue seems key to the streamer's ability to retain subscribers. Has a show ever been picked up by one pure streaming service after another? (not like, say, SyFy or NBC abandoning a show and Amazon or Netflix picking it up)
There’s rumours that Disney will continue Punisher on their service but I can’t think of any other examples.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #3505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There’s rumours that Disney will continue Punisher on their service but I can’t think of any other examples.
Well thats a little different because Marvel is a subset of Disney who are launching their own streaming service. So its their content and they want it on their service as opposed to a competitor's.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #3506
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Netflix cancelled The OA today.

That's disappointing. The OA was one of the handful of shows I really got into the last few years. But to be honest I'm not even that surprised. It must have been a tough sell to average Joe. It's not that accessible to casual fans; even I bailed the first time around, and I ascended from average a long time ago.
That's terrible. That's actually a good show, and an ambitious, daring show. I think it was supposed to have a 5 season arc, and it just got to a point where it had gone completely bat#### crazy. I do hope someone else picks it up. The second season was probably pretty expensive compared to the first, which probably didn't help.

I'm extremely disappointed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #3507
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well thats a little different because Marvel is a subset of Disney who are launching their own streaming service. So its their content and they want it on their service as opposed to a competitor's.
This is actually a Netflix Studios original production - so Netflix owns the whole thing. This makes it much less likely that they'd give another streaming service a whack at continuing the project.

However, on the flip side, if you're a streaming service and you say to your content creators (in this case, Brit Marling and Zal Batmaljilisgjdsgswefx) "hey, we know you love what you've created and that you have a vision for it, but #### you, because we're going to keep the IP under lock and key despite the fact that we have no intention of ever doing anything with it", that might dissuade people from choosing Netflix to host their project in the future, at least in the circumstance where they could sell a show to Amazon or Disney or HBO or whoever else might exist.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #3508
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I prefer non-smart TV's that i can add a fire stick or apple TV to. I find the apps on the TV's terrible.
The Nvidia Shield is my favorite tech purchase of the last few years. Handles all my streaming with Netflix, Plex, Amazon, and Sportsnet Now. Has a Youtube Kids app which is perfect for my toddler. Lets me stream any PC game I own either from my gaming rig or from the GeForce Now cloud service. And the cherry on top is that the Shield is powerful enough to run all game emulators up to the Dreamcast and Gamecube, making it the perfect retro gaming system

I used to have an Xbox One, Chromecast, and a small HTPC hooked up to my TV. The Shield replaced them all
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #3509
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glow Season 3 released today!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #3510
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

There is some great international content on Netflix right now.

Money Heist season 3 recently came out, and season 4 is reportedly already filming. Surprised more people here aren’t talking about it as season 3 was reportedly viewed by over 34 million Netflix viewers its first week. If you haven’t watched it, you should. It’s clever and fun, and bingeable.

Babylon Berlin is also very good. Set in 1929, it is a fictional story, sort of noir-ish. It is based on a series of books, and each one set in a year from 1929 through 1936, when Germany made its transition from democracy to dictatorship. So it is somewhat timely, to explore how that transition may have happened.

Both highly recommended
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #3511
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money Heist is exceptional.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #3512
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Derry Girls season 2 was added recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #3513
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Glow Season 3 released today!
I thought the ending to season 2 was terrible and season 3 seems to be more of the same. It's now. a generic drama that is loosely about women's wrestling. Got about an episode and a half in before deciding I don't need to watch any more GLOW
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #3514
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I can’t even remember what happened at the end of season 2... or most of season 2.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #3515
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I thought the ending to season 2 was terrible and season 3 seems to be more of the same. It's now. a generic drama that is loosely about women's wrestling. Got about an episode and a half in before deciding I don't need to watch any more GLOW

I'm pretty much through it, and while it had some brilliant episodes and moments. The confessions in the desert for example was really good.

But the show became really inconsistent, they moved away from the ring stuff which had some great comedy in the past, and decided to bring up the relationships.

So the season really didn't have the comedy bite that it die.

If they do another season, I'll give it a shot, and hope that the strong writing returns.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #3516
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
But the show became really inconsistent, they moved away from the ring stuff which had some great comedy in the past, and decided to bring up the relationships.
I feel like you could write that same review for almost any Netflix show though (and to a lesser extent, modern shows in general). I find a lot of them start of with this great premise, and then delve into a generic TV show, or just start pandering to their audience.

Either way, still looking forward to watching season 3.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #3517
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, it's pretty standard with shows that have a unique premise. The writers always struggle to keep the premise the focal point as we naturally (writers, viewers) gravitate towards relationships as our main point of interest, even if we think we don't.

It's why reality TV featuring relationships is king.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #3518
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, it's pretty standard with shows that have a unique premise. The writers always struggle to keep the premise the focal point as we naturally (writers, viewers) gravitate towards relationships as our main point of interest, even if we think we don't.

It's why reality TV featuring relationships is king.
Remember when Hell on Wheels was about a man hunting down the people that killed his family...for about 3 episodes?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #3519
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just started "The Boys" on Prime Video, 2 eps in and it seems pretty solid.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #3520
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This is the Netflix thread.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: