Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #461
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m not good at this predictions thing lol.

I thought Monaco wasn’t bad all things considered. There’s not a lot of overtaking but it has been at least somewhat contested the last few years. Max may have been stuck behind Lewis with no opportunities to pass but at least it wasn't a Merc with a 20s lead and an easy 1-2.
Yeah, I think that race really showed a new Max as well. He tried to push Hamilton as hard as he could, but really didn't do anything stupid. His launch into the first chicane at the Swimming Pool was a hope, but he gave Hamilton an out by short cutting it. I really wanted him to dump Hamilton somewhere, lol. But those Mercs seem indestructible. Seems like every time they get bumped the other car spins, hits the wall, or gets a mech failure of some kind. If anything Leclerc really showed his age.

Bottas got shafted from finishing 2nd but those pits are so damn tight.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #462
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m not good at this predictions thing lol.

I thought Monaco wasn’t bad all things considered. There’s not a lot of overtaking but it has been at least somewhat contested the last few years. Max may have been stuck behind Lewis with no opportunities to pass but at least it wasn't a Merc with a 20s lead and an easy 1-2.
Max spent half the race in the wrong engine mode.

Not that he could have passed Lewis even if he was in the correct one.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #463
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Max spent half the race in the wrong engine mode.

Not that he could have passed Lewis even if he was in the correct one.
Seriously?? I heard them tell him that he could up his mode, but figured that was just cause they thought they had a chance to win (even with the 5s penalty). It looked like the Merc could pull away enough on exits but the RBR was better under braking.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #464
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

OMG you're right...https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...onaco/4397096/

I wonder why they can't change that on the fly/running like any other engine mode map?
Old 05-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #465
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ That's exactly what I thought.

Must have something to do with the engines running through the pitlane at idle and they've made an accommodation for these types of settings changes under those conditions.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #466
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I'm going to ping my Toro Rosso buddy and ask him. I wonder if its considered a mechanical change since you'd be changing the torque at the wheels and can only do that in the pits?? Because it sounds like he was in a "start" torque map and not a "race" map. This gives it a power lag for starting, but they can clearly change out of that. Its a weird one.

Speaking of which, they had a great race in P8 & 9. Albon looks quite good and Kvyat is totally different (good for him!).

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 05-27-2019 at 02:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #467
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please let us know what your friend says.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #468
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of torro Rosso though, I am impressed by both of their drivers this year
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #469
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

So he wasn't quite sure. But teams use different verbiage and there is a difference between engine map and torque map. Engine map is timing, fuel, etc. Torque map is the pedal and how fast the engine reacts to the throttle. So he figures they couldn't change it because it's a form of traction control. I guess you're allowed to have a start torque map that you can change out of, but it puts some lag into the throttle to not spin tires from a standing start. You can then use it in the pits, but can't change when on track.

So that's his input and makes total sense when you watch Max hunting Hamilton and how they enter and exit so different. Max just couldn't time his throttle properly and didn't have the power quick enough.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #470
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, bad picks this week!

Monaco was kept interesting this year, I'm not sure what Max was thinking at the chicane though. If Hamilton hadn't existed he wouldn't have made it at the speed he came in at anyway, not on those tires. I think he still thinks he can force his way through and hope the rules favour him when the dust settles.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #471
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Someone mentioned the F1.5 thing a while ago. So for anyone feeling some early season blues because of the lack of a WDC fight, here’s the F1.5 leaderboard heading into Montreal. Gives some perspective that there’s some great battles happening in the midfield.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #472
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've really tried to focus on the midfield more in the last few years so the fact that there's people that have an actual scoring system and championship format for it is so amazing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #473
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to Montreal this weekend.

I'm hoping some of the promised upgrades mix up the grid.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #474
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm looking forward to Montreal this weekend.

I'm hoping some of the promised upgrades mix up the grid.
Unfortunately not at the front I don’t think. Merc is bringing upgrades and this quote from Binotto is not promising for Ferrari.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1135505334691409925

In other news, sorry for the humble brag, but my flight for Montreal is less than 48 hours away and I’m having a really tough time doing any work right now. I don’t care if Merc wins by a 40s margin, I’m super stoked. Secretly though I’m hoping for a Spain 2016 situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #475
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cecil, thats awesome!! Montreal is such an awesome city. It really is the only place I've ever been that I feel like I could live (maybe Georgetown or Kota Kinabula in Malaysia ). Where are your seats?? Hoping their at the Wall of Champions! 7 days till my flight and I'm in the same boat...work is a very distant afterthought!!

Couple interesting things I've read recently.

- Renault is looking to build an exclusive qualifying car for 2020. They say that this car will be designed exclusively for qualifying with no real race pace engineering setup. - https://ca.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...-2020/4416567/

- 2021 update; moving to synthetic fuel / standard gearboxes no longer on table / targeting 65%!!!! thermal efficiency by 2025 / wheelbase of 3.55m

- Merc is bringing an engine upgrade to Montreal, figure it should be good for about 0.1s/lap in qualy.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #476
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

We’re in grandstand 11. A little closer to the exit of turn 2 so hopefully that giant tree doesn’t block our view and hopefully we can see some of the start/finish line but based on some YouTube videos I’ve watched I think we’re good.

But I’m hoping to do a trade with other ticket holders or maybe even scalpers for Fri/Sat. I did a trio in 2016 where you sit in a different grandstand each day. I’d like to sit on the pit straight Friday and maybe at the hairpin Saturday. Get some variety. And Montreal is super anal about checking tickets so you can’t just wander to other grandstands on Friday despite it being about half full.

Taking my parents. My mom knows nothing about F1, for sure wouldn’t recognize Lewis Hamilton if she saw him in the street lol. My dad took me to the Indy Toronto when I was 8 so this is me kind of returning the favour (I feel blessed, got to see the thrill from west hill Paul Tracy win his home GP, it was bananas). My mom hasn’t been to Montreal since the 70s and my dad has never been.

Here’s a clip (not mine) from 11, sec 6, row M. We’re in sec 5 row P and on the aisle (thank god, those benches are crammed like sardines). So we should be about 40 feet to the right of where this was taken.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-04-2019 at 09:58 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #477
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Wait, what do you mean 7 days until your flight? You going to the French GP? That’s awesome if so.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #478
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good on you for taking your folks. Agreed on the variety pack for watching. Gives a much better impression of the real performance of an F1 car.

And yeah, we are doing the Sundays for the French and Austrian GPs. Dream vacay for us as it's my 40th and our 10th. So gonna live it up.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #479
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Goddamnit...Bottas was in Calgary today and met with the UofC Formula team. Had no idea my old alum has that kinda stroke.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTs_akh...=1p01ueu0v3r3n

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTuUK2i...d=amr34pw1i14d
Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #480
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Cool! It must be weird to be such a famous athlete and yet I feel like he could walk down any street in Calgary as a total unknown.

Also for full disclosure I should mention that “taking my parents” is more like I’m their tour guide and I did all the bookings and leg work. Maybe silly but it feels dishonest to suggest I picked up the tab for everything too.

I don’t know much about Paul Ricard but the Red Bull Ring might be the most beautiful setting for a track in F1, save maybe Spa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: