Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #821
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I watched it tonight and thought it was weird also. The ending was a bit effed up but I can't say I wasn't surprised. My only complaint would be that it was too long.

My good friend owns the movie theatre here in High River and has had on average of 2-3 people walk out of the movie each night, Comments ranged from it made no sense to being too violent.
So people just got up and left the movie after watching 2 hours and 35 minutes? ...... haha
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #822
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched it tonight and thought it was weird also. The ending was a bit effed up but I can't say I wasn't surprised. My only complaint would be that it was too long.

My good friend owns the movie theatre here in High River and has had on average of 2-3 people walk out of the movie each night, Comments ranged from it made no sense to being too violent.
It didn't make sense. There was no plot.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #823
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

wife and I finally watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
on the weekend.

very disappointing. not a good movie at all. would give it maybe a 4 out of 10.

amazing special effects and not much else.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 08-19-2019 at 07:11 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #824
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember watching Pulp Fiction in the theater, and I saw more people walk out of that theater than any movie I've ever seen. People either seem to love or hate his movies without much in between.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #825
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've softened on Once Upon a Time since I saw it last week but yeah, at the time when the movie ended I was sitting there shocked and wondering aloud to my buddy what the hell the point of the entire movie was. I think it helps to have prior knowledge of Manson stuff/Tate murders, which I didn't. Had some good scenes and funny moments but I think you could easily chop an hour off that movie. It's also the least violent QT movie of them all, last part included.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #826
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It didn't make sense. There was no plot.
Not everything has to follow the five essential parts of plot rules. Like some of his other movies, it was a collection of subplots with a big climax at the end. I enjoy his style of soap opera type story telling and the acting, dialogue, characters, music, cinematography that felt like you were genuinely brought back to late 60s California.

I could watch those kinds of movies all day.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #827
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I just watched Good Boys in theatre. Funniest movie I've watched in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
^ Looked awesome but it seemed like it could be one of those movies where all the good jokes are in the trailer. Glad to hear you enjoyed

Agree. Just a really great movie from start to finish.

One of the funniest movies I've watched in years.

Sitting at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes now too which isn't always easy for a Comedy to do.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #828
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I remember watching Pulp Fiction in the theater, and I saw more people walk out of that theater than any movie I've ever seen. People either seem to love or hate his movies without much in between.
After 25 years, you'd think people would know which side of that fence they sit on.

It's odd that in 2019 people are going to a Tarantino film and walking out complaining about the violence. That's like going to a Star Wars film and complaining about them spending so much time talking about The Force.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #829
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
After 25 years, you'd think people would know which side of that fence they sit on.

It's odd that in 2019 people are going to a Tarantino film and walking out complaining about the violence. That's like going to a Star Wars film and complaining about them spending so much time talking about The Force.
I think Dion is getting fed fake news about the walkout due to violence. Too much talking, too much acting, too long, makes sense. The violence doesn't start until 2 hours and 30 mins into it. and even then it happens so fast, how do you even walk out?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #830
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I think Dion is getting fed fake news about the walkout due to violence. Too much talking, too much acting, too long, makes sense. The violence doesn't start until 2 hours and 30 mins into it. and even then it happens so fast, how do you even walk out?
"I walked out! It was too violent!"
"Oh really? When did you walk out?"
"As soon as the credits rolled."
"..with... everyone else?"
"Yeah, everyone must have felt the same! Just too violent!"

Classic.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #831
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It may be the title of the movie attracting a non-Tarantino audience, that is then shocked by what they see.

I did find the beatings of the Manson family near the end to be some of the most graphic scenes of violence against woman I've ever seen - outside of the horror genre. I can definitely see why some people might not want to watch that. It was obviously meant to be tongue in cheek, but, once again, a non-Tarantino audience might not get that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #832
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ummm spoilers!!!!

I’d be angry but other posters in this thread already spoiled the ending
Old 08-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #833
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just watched Creed II and I found it to be entirely soulless. I felt no connection whatsoever to any of the characters. It even missed on the nostalgia.
It’s only worth was it’s ability it make one vomit in their mouth, if you’re into that.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #834
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hobbs & Shaw was awesome. Lots of fun. Completely campy and unrealistic in the stunts and fight scenes, but the movie (and the Fast & Furious franchise) doesn't try to come across as serious. It's just there for fun and entertainment... and to make lots of money. It nails those.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #835
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Creed II was ok. It would have been better if it was about the Dragos. Their story was more interesting than Creed’s in this movie and I was actually rooting for Drago Jr as the movie went along. I wanted more of his story and it felt like Creed’s story was all just going thru the motions.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 AM   #836
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Btw, Good Boys is classic comedy material in the same vein as Superbad. But add more heart to the characters and narrative.

Was happy to see that the gags in the trailers were only a fraction of the goods that the whole movie had to offer, unlike some movies we've seen in the recent past.

Surprised it isn't a hot topic here.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #837
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently watched 'The Hustle.'

Dont.

You'll get more genuine entertainment just reading the IMDB reviews of people bitching about how terrible this film is.

Its bad. Its all bad. The story is bad, the acting is bad, the writing is bad, the jokes are bad, its just all bad. Start to finish its terrible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #838
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Ready or Not the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Would recommend, the lead actress is great and Adam Brody (surprisingly) stole every scene he was in. It's more of a comedy than horror, yet still pretty tense when it needs to be. I hope it performs well, check it out!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #839
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Watched Long Shot (Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron) last week - funnier and way more enjoyable than I anticipated. Almost like a modern-day There's Something About Mary.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #840
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Watched Long Shot (Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron) last week - funnier and way more enjoyable than I anticipated. Almost like a modern-day There's Something About Mary.

Ohhh Boy!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: