Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #601
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

As far as knockoff Tarantino films go Bad Times at the El Royale could have been worse. A little rudderless through the middle and probably 30 minutes too long but not terrible and surprisingly the third act was almost decent. Worth a watch if you don’t have to pay to rent it.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #602
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
As far as knockoff Tarantino films go Bad Times at the El Royale could have been worse. A little rudderless through the middle and probably 30 minutes too long but not terrible and surprisingly the third act was almost decent. Worth a watch if you don’t have to pay to rent it.
Just watched it.
Pretty big meh. Definitely too long, and fell asleep for a few minutes in the middle.
Some of the acting was pretty decent though.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #603
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Two hours of my life I won't get back but it was on a long flight so the time was written off anyway.

Had some potential with the individual stories, but tried to hard to be something it wasn't.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #604
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I didn’t hate El Royale but it was overall disappointing. Especially if it’s gonna be compare to Tarantino. The dialogue wasn’t particularly sharp. Most of the characters weren’t that interesting. I hated the “villain”. Just overall a bit of a letdown.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #605
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fighting With My Family is a ton of fun, I would highly recommend it regardless of whether you're a wrestling fan. When I started watching it I was close to turning it off when I realized that it was about wrestling and the WWE. I'm really glad I didn't, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Great acting all around, and a really great screenplay loaded with comedy and serious drama. What a pleasant surprise.

One movie I did turn off after about 15 minutes: Lego Movie 2. Which is odd because I really loved the first one. This one seemed way more aimed at the kids - most of the jokes really fell flat for me. I was completely disinterested. Has anyone watched the whole thing? Does it get any better throughout?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #606
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Fighting With My Family is a ton of fun, I would highly recommend it regardless of whether you're a wrestling fan. When I started watching it I was close to turning it off when I realized that it was about wrestling and the WWE. I'm really glad I didn't, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Great acting all around, and a really great screenplay loaded with comedy and serious drama. What a pleasant surprise.

One movie I did turn off after about 15 minutes: Lego Movie 2. Which is odd because I really loved the first one. This one seemed way more aimed at the kids - most of the jokes really fell flat for me. I was completely disinterested. Has anyone watched the whole thing? Does it get any better throughout?
Again, I'll second this. I know, nor care, anything about wrestling but this movie was fun!

Also Nick Frost who is just amazing!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #607
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Rocketman last night. I'd say it was pretty good. Not great.

Music was excellent and Egerton is very good, as is the teenage Elton (the child one I didn't like so much). They really nail the relationship between him and Bernie and it's the relationship most central to the film, so they do succeed in premise. It just felt kind of flat to me, like there wasn't really an eb and flow to the story, just kind of snippets of his life played as a broadway-type musical. Which were all pretty great, but they are kind of just strung together vs having a solid "Act" pacing. It is unique in that it's purely a look at him, through his own mind, vs that of a biographer.

Either way, it was entertaining, I think I undersold Egerton in the first sentence as he really does disappear into Elton and it's pretty hard to tell him apart from the younger real thing.

7/10 as a movie. 8.5/10 if you just want to be entertained with Elton John music and good performances.

As far as celebrity biopics go, I'd don't think it quite reaches the levels of Walk The Line or Ray, but it's closer to Dreamgirls in musicalness (vs straight drama with live performances providing the musical part).
Old 06-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #608
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Godzilla 2 was ultimately pretty boring. I just kept wishing every human character would die already. Too much worldbuilding and lore, and all of it just so dull and uninteresting. There were plenty of ideas you could have turned into something fun, but the movie just had no idea how to do that.

Just another example that bad writing can suck the fun out of almost everything.

I only paid two euros two euros for the ticket, and it was barely worth that.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #609
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Just came in to say John Wick 3 is very good. Go see it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #610
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Just came in to say John Wick 3 is very good. Go see it.
Thats what you said last time Uncle Chester and I still have court dates.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #611
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Candy?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #612
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Candy?
OH! So you want to get me into even more trouble?!?

I dont know why I ever even listen to you.

"Buy a Van with no windows, the insurance is lower....trust me!"

Yeah.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #613
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Godzilla on Wednesday night and I loved it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #614
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I saw Godzilla on Wednesday night and I loved it.
Godzilla was awesome whenever it wasn't trying to make me care about the human characters/story. The monster fights were great though, probably the best ever. Just a shame that so much of the actual fights happened in the background of the people running around, so you couldn't even really see a lot of them.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #615
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Godzilla was awesome whenever it wasn't trying to make me care about the human characters/story. The monster fights were great though, probably the best ever. Just a shame that so much of the actual fights happened in the background of the people running around, so you couldn't even really see a lot of them.
Haha, yes, there was a lot of bad writing. I managed to look past it, for the most part.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #616
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

For a Netflix horror film The Perfection was pretty damn good. I liked it a hell of a lot more than the 2017 Australian piece of crap Boar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #617
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
For a Netflix horror film The Perfection was pretty damn good. I liked it a hell of a lot more than the 2017 Australian piece of crap Boar.
I really liked The Perfection as well. It was.... different.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was OK. First 1/3 was very intriguing, but it kinda fell flat for me in the last half.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #619
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I loved Boar. I love a dumb monster movie.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #620
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I loved Boar. I love a dumb monster movie.
I love dumb monster movies as well. Boar fell firmly on the just crap side of the so bad it’s good/just crap fence.