Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #81
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Tend to agree but in the same breath, that also could have come from the impossibly long tube they ripped out of his mouth when they found him.

Also found it humorous that nobody seemed all that concerned with the missing girl. People are losing their s**t over Will but very whatevs as far as she was concerned.
I found that pretty strange too...Nancy mentioned Barbara a couple of times and that was it. The whole town was going nuts about Will's disappearance, but nobody mentioned Barb.

We all kind of assume she was dead, as she was lying on the ground with things crawling in her. Then why didn't the monster kill Will too?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #82
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Deputy also mentioned they found her car at the bus depot so they assumed she ran away.

The Sheriff didn't seem to believe it because he'd already found out about Will's fake body.

Last edited by KTrain; 08-17-2016 at 02:52 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #83
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

way better series than I was anticipating even after all the glowing reviews and recommendations. I liked what they did with Steve and Wills Brother, just a subtle tweak on the usual 80's story lines where the girl dates the jerk and then goes for the loner. Really well done.

I liked the Sherriff and how they had him flashback to his daughter every time a key event happened and he drew strength from it. Determined to get this right this time by his own hands.

As far as Barbara being over looked more than Will, she was a young adult with a car, tough to put her in the same level of priority than a kid with a bike. She could have jetted on road trip, I thought they made sense of that in the series.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #84
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The Deputy also mentioned they found her car at the bus depot so they assumed she ran away.

The Sheriff didn't seem to believe it because he'd already found out about Will's fake body.
They did, yes, but you would expect that coming on the heels of a child going missing under odd circumstances, a 2nd disappearance may have been taken a little more seriously. Even her mom was very "meh" about the whole thing despite being missing from school. The way the portrayed her, she wasn't the type that would just leave town without telling anyone.

Probably way overthinking this but for a show that clearly had some thought put into it, it was an odd part.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #85
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's also the nature of an 8 episode series. I'm glad they didn't spend too much time on that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #86
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's also the nature of an 8 episode series. I'm glad they didn't spend too much time on that.
We could also see more of Barb in Season 2. She looked like she was in a pretty bad state, but who knows if she's actually dead or maybe she's just been mutated.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #87
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great show, the end reminded me a little bit of the twist endings of the Outer Limits where you think everything reverted back to normal until the kid goes into the bathroom and then we realize normal wont be back for a while.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #88
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just finished this last night, started it on Sunday.. couldn't put it down, what a great show. I thought overall the acting and production was really good for a mini series. The girl playing Eleven did a great job channeling her inner ET. I'm glad the references to past 80's (and beyond) movies were subtle and Eleven wasn't talking about having to "radio home" or something along that line.

I think the Sheriff was my favourite character... or Dustin, he was pretty funny. I actually really enjoyed Steve's character to, I thought he would just be the stereotypical ###### bag who drives the girl into the arms of the nice loner, but they wrote him in with some depth and the actor did a good job pulling it off. I read somewhere that they had not planned for him and Nancy to get together at the end but Steve was such a likeable person IRL they wanted to give him redemption (and obviously a big part in season 2). Great show, 9/10.

Also just to add the music was amazing, I really enjoyed it all the way through. Very few shows I actually enjoy watching the intro, Game of Thrones, Brooklyn 99.. but this was one of them.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-18-2016 at 10:21 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #89
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

has anyone been talking about how eleven looks exactly like wesley crusher?

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #90
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I finished watching Stranger Things last night after watching it on/off for over the course of about 2 weeks.

While I do see the appeal and overall found it entertaining... I think it got a little over hyped. That's not to say it was bad, just that I didn't feel the need to binge on it like I did with the first season of Lost or House of Cards.

If it had been closer to 10-12 episodes I may have even abandoned it before finishing it.

That's not to say it's bad, I'm just not sure the source material & 80's aesthetic are enough to warrant long term viewing. Heck as a 2 hour flick or 4 hour mini-series I might have found it more enthralling... but maybe I just have a short attention span.

Great soundtrack however, and the 80's wardrobe of pastel blues/pinks were on the money.

Last edited by Regular_John; 08-22-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #91
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

we finally finished it last night. I was curious how they would wrap the season up and leave the cliffhangers for season 2, but i suppose they did well enough.

I do agree they perhaps under did the barb loss. You'd think her parents would be hysterical and visible upset in a small town like that.

curious of the implications of will's bathroom scene.

I can't wait to see what direction they take with the story in season II.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #92
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also just finished last night - what a great show! I can't remember a show in recent history where I really, really liked all the characters. My favourites were Hopper, Eleven and the toothless grin kid. The kids actually acted like kids. I don't get the criticism of Ryder's acting either, I thought she was stellar and played the crazy, determined lady pretty well.

As far as the show playing off the Barb disappearance: she was a teenager with her own car, which was staged at a bus station. So even the police chalked it up to her running away. To me, it's obvious why a missing 12 year old would garner more attention from the town. If they rushed through anything for me, it was the deadbeat Dad angle. He didn't even put up a fight when she kicked him out? And that was that?

Did anyone else see Jonathan (Will's older brother) as pretty much Norman Reedus' twin from when he was that age? I mean, if they ever want to do a Daryl Dixon flashback in TWD, they definitely have their actor.

Spoiler!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
we finally finished it last night. I was curious how they would wrap the season up and leave the cliffhangers for season 2, but i suppose they did well enough.

I do agree they perhaps under did the barb loss. You'd think her parents would be hysterical and visible upset in a small town like that.

curious of the implications of will's bathroom scene.

I can't wait to see what direction they take with the story in season II.
Barb? She was an insufferable stuck-up bore, sure she got good grades and did well in school and she lorded that over everyone, including her deadbeat parents.

They were probably just relieved that she was finally gone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #94
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Watched it all this weekend. Not bad. I was expecting a bit more due to the hype but the story really didn't pull me in until halfway through the season. I guess they tell you everything in Episode 1 and they just develop the characters for the next two episodes, which they did a good job of, I just didn't feel like the story was really moving forward through those episodes. You're kinda just waiting for the characters to put together all the pieces but you as a viewer already know the puzzle. They did have some great creepy scenes through those 3 episodes though. I think that's what kept me going.

It really picked up at episode 4. I liked episode 4-7 a lot. Really hate Monster fighting stuff so I wasn't thrilled with how it ended but it was expected given the story and style of show.

The acting was great, it was all well done and I LOVED the soundtrack and scoring.

Can't see season 2 working for me but I guess we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I found that pretty strange too...Nancy mentioned Barbara a couple of times and that was it. The whole town was going nuts about Will's disappearance, but nobody mentioned Barb.

We all kind of assume she was dead, as she was lying on the ground with things crawling in her. Then why didn't the monster kill Will too?
This is exactly what I thought when I finished too.

No one cares about Barbara? Are they going to tell her parents they found her corpse in another dimension?

Last edited by polak; 08-29-2016 at 10:56 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #95
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Official soundtrack is out today:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/st...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

If you're looking for more of this stuff it was done by two guys from a synth band called Survive.

Oh man, I found an acapella of MO song the other day that I want to remix and this song has me jones'ing to go home and go totally 80's synth with it.

Come on 5 pm....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #96
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #97
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, 9 episode season 2 confirmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #98
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said I'd be excited either way they went, but I have to admit, I'm really happy that all indications are it will be a continuation of the first season's story.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #99
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #100
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do a teaser like that now? One would have thought like... April next year you'd see that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote