Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #41
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He already earned it last year. He just did. I get Sutter is an incredible coach, but Pelletier is a top-5 AHL prospect there is.
I don't think think he has. Phillips deserves more of a spot than Pelletier, and so does Ruzicka. They were both more productive in the AHL. However it just shows you the level difference between the two leagues. Gawdin had a similar production to Pelletier but couldn't stick with the team.

I agree he is a top prospect in the AHL, but Emile Poirier seemed like a top prospect in the AHL after his first season. I just don't see the rational of simply giving Pelletier a spot on the team. If Jooris could have a great camp and make the team, then so can Pelletier if he's ready. So unless Pelletier does something to force his way onto this team he can stay in the AHL, and I don't think that will hinder his development.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still waiting for the Kylington workout hype video like he did 2-3 years ago.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #43
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

iirc from last years camp, Kirkland, Duehr and Mackey were among the last three cuts; they all started out in the second group, and earned games and practice time with the main group

This is Sutters' MO. It's your right to disagree with it, but nobody should be surprised by it
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #44
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Over the years seeing Sutter as a coach, he is very tough on younger players trying to make the team. This is not a criticism… it’s just how he likes to build his team. Older vets always have a much longer leash than young guys. This can be said of lots of coaches in the NHL but even more so with Sutter. It’s fine with a team trying to contend (like the flames are) but it would be frustrating with a younger team trying to rebuild.

Virtually every first overall pick makes their prospective NHL team right out of training camp… I honestly believe Sutter is likely the only coach in the league that would not do that. He’s just really tough with young players. In the long run, it can be good for the development of young players. But it would be tough sometimes as fans that want to see young guys make the team over older vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #45
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would say no rookie is going to make the club

I would even say Valimaki and Ruzicka would be lucky to make it to the starting roster and not waiver
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #46
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think Sutter believes in the concept of "earned it last year" no matter how good he was. If Pelletier is a no-brainer to make the team then he'll look like it in camp.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #47
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think this year we will see way more AHL players get play time with the big club. The roster looks very different, and it will take a while to find the right player combinations. There are no negatives in giving PTOs a first chance to impress, Pelletier will get his chance, he just might need to wait a bit and that's fine. As far as I remember, last night Sutter said that Pelletier will get 1 or 2 pre-season games
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #48
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington made the team last year and got top 4 ice time. He has said on many occasions that guys got gifted spots on the team, and he wants to change that. So its not surprise he's not slapping Pelletier on the 2nd line right away. We might not like it, but no sense complaining when we know the coach has stated that's not how he operates.

If Pelletier wants to make it he will have to stand out in his group and force his way onto the team.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #49
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Over the years seeing Sutter as a coach, he is very tough on younger players trying to make the team. This is not a criticism… it’s just how he likes to build his team. Older vets always have a much longer leash than young guys. This can be said of lots of coaches in the NHL but even more so with Sutter. It’s fine with a team trying to contend (like the flames are) but it would be frustrating with a younger team trying to rebuild.

Virtually every first overall pick makes their prospective NHL team right out of training camp… I honestly believe Sutter is likely the only coach in the league that would not do that. He’s just really tough with young players. In the long run, it can be good for the development of young players. But it would be tough sometimes as fans that want to see young guys make the team over older vets.

In my opinion the main reason behind it is that a rookie can be better than veterans in spurts. However, as soon as the grind of the season sets in rookies often taper off, start making more mistakes, and lose their confidence. This applies to vets too, but they have the experience to limit the mistakes and the mental fatigue side of things. Again, that's just the way I see it.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #50
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
That sucks. I was hoping to take my kids to one of the TC sessions. Not sure what the benefit is to closing practices all season. Teams will have game tape.
It is very frustrating and not right. This policy needs to change.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Bad PR move by the organization.
Do you really think so? How much appetite is there from the fanbase to attend practices? How much impact does this really have on the team's bottom-line?

I seriously doubt that this will have any effect at all. Most people are not that bothered about not seeing practices.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #52
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would rather have fewer PTOs ...
Remember, minimum number of vets needed in pre-season games. You're already holding out Kadri and Tanev until the start of the year, so you're two vets down. Having two or three PTOs should not be a hindrance if you truly are a top prospect.

Chill...
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #53
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I would rather have fewer PTOs ...
And more injuries to veteran players forced to play 6 of 8 preseason games to meet vet quotas?

No thanks!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I agree he is a top prospect in the AHL, but Emile Poirier seemed like a top prospect in the AHL after his first season.
Sorry to take this off the rails a bit, but these sorts of uninformed revisions of history are annoying. Poirier absolutely looked like a stud that first year, and the only reason he fell short was because of how deeply, tragically his personal life interfered with his hockey career. Since there is no reason to think that Pelletier is similarly plagued by his own demons, then I don't see how this is at all a relevant comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #55
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sorry to take this off the rails a bit, but these sorts of uninformed revisions of history are annoying. Poirier absolutely looked like a stud that first year, and the only reason he fell short was because of how deeply, tragically his personal life interfered with his hockey career. Since there is no reason to think that Pelletier is similarly plagued by his own demons, then I don't see how this is at all a relevant comparison.

They're both French. How did you miss that?!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #56
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1573361505730695168
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:41 AM   #57
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Remember, minimum number of vets needed in pre-season games. You're already holding out Kadri and Tanev until the start of the year, so you're two vets down. Having two or three PTOs should not be a hindrance if you truly are a top prospect.

Chill...
Instead of expressing my counterargument, I'll defer to Arnold:

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #58
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricprez View Post
Iiiiiinteresting.
Dube clearly putting in the work.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1573342722593001472
thats nice and all but who were the unfittest Flames?
Old 09-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #59
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you really think so? How much appetite is there from the fanbase to attend practices? How much impact does this really have on the team's bottom-line?

I seriously doubt that this will have any effect at all. Most people are not that bothered about not seeing practices.

It's not cool though. It most impacts younger fans who would enjoy seeing their idols play and may not otherwise be able to attend many games. I have fond memories of my Dad taking me to an occasional Flames or Stamps practice.

Is it going to have an impact on the organization in any meaningful way? No I don't imagine it will. But they're worried about the Oilers watching their training camp? Really? These aren't military secrets.

It is a bad move for a community minded club.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #60
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

This is accurate, last year Sutter also mentioned some kids were rushed when they should've been in the AHL longer to build their game (I believe Dube was used as an example?)