Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #41
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Bit of a false equivelency there. It's not like anything controversial is going on in Sweden. So yeah, that would be arbitrary.
I can assure you if the flames were due to play a game overseas and we had a top line Russian winner everyone here would support Tre saying 'We all play or none of us play'.

I don't really see either side as being in the wrong here.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #42
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Czechia will not care about an NHL team complaining (nor should it). However, they should start to listen to Putin's opposition that live mostly outside of Russia right now. They think this is a terrible idea, as many people who are fleeing are in fact people that oppose Putin. To not give them a place to go to is basically forcing them into Putin's jails, and then into Ukraine as Russian soldiers.

We are seeing the borders and flights out of Russia being swarmed right now, and a whole bunch of groups are popping up with ways to get out of Russia. Who is swarming? Fighting aged-men mostly. Many of the ones that aren't able to get out are purposefully breaking an arm or a leg trying to stay out. Protesters who are of fighting age are being served their army papers in jail.

I really believe that the visa sanctions will at least be temporarily halted to allow people out of Russia who would otherwise be forced to the front as soldiers for Russia. It makes 100% sense to try and get them out, and even Nevalny's supporters (the largest opposition group to Putin) is screaming at these European countries to cease with all visa restrictions and instead increase other economic sanctions against Russia. Even some of the opposition to Putin is having to flea the country as Putin is trying to tighten his grip at the moment.

From a hockey-related viewpoint, this will hopefully end up as nothing and San Jose will be playing in Czechia shortly. Everyone can definitely understand Czechia's position, however, as it does mirror the position of many other countries just trying to do their best against Putin's regime. I do think these visa sanctions will be reinstated after a while, but for now, they absolutely should be halted to allow people to be forced to fight FOR Russia, and to allow more people who are being targeted by Putin as opposition members to leave safely.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #43
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Roman14 View Post
Japan once was fighting a war against Americans and Canadians amongst many others. It was not ok at that time to treat Japan born Canadians poorly. At this time it is not ok to treat Russian born players living on our soil poorly.
Russians in North America are not being thrown into concentration camps.

Nikita Zadorov is still earning his $3.75MM USD salary. He's hardly being treated poorly.

The Capitals asked Ovechkin to take down a picture of him with a murderous dictator and Ovechkin said no. Still collecting his $10MM USD salary.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #44
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an epic move to get bedard. Forfeiting games is sure fire way of tanking. Lol
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #45
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Japan once was fighting a war against Americans and Canadians amongst many others. It was not ok at that time to treat Japan born Canadians poorly. At this time it is not ok to treat Russian born players living on our soil poorly.
This is confusing. Canada has no power to grant Russian citizens who live in the USA visa permits to work in Czechia. Getting a visa to work in Czechia also isn't a human right.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #46
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol at people thinking playing hockey internationally should be a right and not a privilege.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #47
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet they were put in camps by Canadian authorities and had their livelihoods and property stolen.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #48
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol at people thinking playing hockey internationally should be a right and not a privilege.
These aren't individual FA's/unemployed players being denied the ability to play for a team there.

This is the NHL agreeing to play regular season games, for which teams pay and play their best players, in the top league in the world, and not being able to ice their full team.

I would argue the teams do have the right to dress all their players for a regular season game. You think owners will be ok with the NHL forcing them to field an inferior product. The players association? Other teams accepting a forfeit as a result?

Any country can impose any rule to restrict any player they want. And if they do the NHL 100% should not be playing a regular season game there.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #49
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
And politics has always been a factor in international sports.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #50
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Nashville would forfeit that game too as Jagr would probably sleep with all their wives simultaneously.
No, all their wives would sleep with Jagr simultaneously.

The Jagr does not seek... he merely accommodates.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #51
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
These aren't individual FA's/unemployed players being denied the ability to play for a team there.

This is the NHL agreeing to play regular season games, for which teams pay and play their best players, in the top league in the world, and not being able to ice their full team.

I would argue the teams do have the right to dress all their players for a regular season game. You think owners will be ok with the NHL forcing them to field an inferior product. The players association? Other teams accepting a forfeit as a result?

Any country can impose any rule to restrict any player they want. And if they do the NHL 100% should not be playing a regular season game there.
Even in Canada? Who forces players to be Vaccinated to come here?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #52
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I don't understand people who don't understand Czech foreign ministry's decision. And I also understand Grier's point of view. It's a whole different situation for a country like Czech Republic, than it its for a NHL-team's GM. Knowing today's situation in Russia and Ukraine, and the history Czech Republic has with Russia, I wasn't surprised of this at all. It'll be interesting to see, what happens.

I'm a Finn, and I have a ticket for the NHL Global Series Game COL-CBJ here in Finland. So we'll see, if Finland decides to do the same, but I doubt that. At least there are three Russian hockey players in the FEL compared to 0 in the Czech Extraliga, so it would be a bit weird to block Russian NHL-players.

World Cup 2024 and the possibility of Russia attending is something that is, and will be a much bigger topic here in Finland. At least for now, it's impossible to see Russia attending (if the NHL thinks that it's acceptable to give participation for the Russians, I think that most of the other European teams, if not all, wouldn't accept that).

Having a common border with Russia, being in a middle of the NATO-process (hopefully getting that completed soon), and understanding the history of Russia (and how that kleptocracy has, is, and most probably will be lead in future), it's a no-brainer for my country, and others to do everything in their power to stand against that crap. I completely understand, that this conflict isn't as big of a topic in North America than it is in here for common civilians (geographical location etc.), but I just wanted to share my feelings of this (although most of this write-up was offtopic). The fact is that politics is and will be a factor in international sports (as written above).
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unknown For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #53
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Requiring a vaccination to prevent further spread of a dangerous illness in midst of a worldwide pandemic.... vs no Russians allowed.

Same, same.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #54
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is a persons choice

If they said no Russians openly supporting Putin that’s one thing
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, as someone whose family was interned, may I say this is not the best comparison. Those were Canadian and American citizens, and mostly not even born in Japan. These are Russian citizens who aren't even living in Czechia. They've basically closed their borders to Russian nationals.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #56
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No, all their wives would sleep with Jagr simultaneously.

The Jagr does not seek... he merely accommodates.
If you think about it, it would actually be rude for him to not sleep with your wife.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember some girl tried to blackmail Jagr with a pic of them in bed (he was asleep) and he was "Girl, I'm single".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #58
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would people have been ok with American players being banned during the Iraq invasion?
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #59
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Would people have been ok with American players being banned during the Iraq invasion?
Personally, I was really against the invasion of Iraq, so it wouldn't have bothered me if they were also banned from playing in another country that considered America an enemy country. In fact, I would not be surprised if Americans were banned from getting visas somewhere because of it.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:22 AM   #60
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If NHL players are not permitted to play an NHL regular season game, the game should not proceed. I have no problem with the position of Czech, but the NHL should be relocating these games back to North America
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post: