Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #41
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
McDavid is 25. Finally tasted some winning. It is not impossible that he is still on the upward path.

That alone will keep them in contention for awhile

It’s not a guarantee but …..
So they are better because McDavid will be better?

Fair enough

I'm not saying it's likely they miss the playoffs I just keep hearing how they have improved and don't see it.

Cambell had a worse save percentage on a team with better D and I don't think they replaced Keith.

As for depth they are over the cap and don't even have their team signed.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #42
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1) Colorado
2) Leafs
3) Tampa
4) Flames
5) Carolina
6) Florida
7) Vegas
8) Oilers
9) NYR
10) Blues

1-6 are legit cup contenders IMO
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #43
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who thinks the Flames would put up a better series vs the Avs?

I do. The BoA series was an aberration where two elite players took over a 5 game segment and ran with it .. that happens in sports. Calgary is still the better team from top to bottom and quite possibly improved this season.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the playoff logic the Jets should have been way better than the Oilers last season
Old 09-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #45
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So they are better because McDavid will be better?

Fair enough

I'm not saying it's likely they miss the playoffs I just keep hearing how they have improved and don't see it.

Cambell had a worse save percentage on a team with better D and I don't think they replaced Keith.

As for depth they are over the cap and don't even have their team signed.
I am not saying he will be better, but there is a possibility

Other than that I don’t think they are better or worse. Some guys got older and some young guys step up.

Campbell is like Smith in a sense that who knows with him
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #46
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames- crazy off season, but still somehow improved the D and kept the forward group looking decently strong. Best goaltender on a Canadian team.

Toronto- all world offense, mediocre d, sketchy goaltending

Edmonton- top end offensive talent, lack forward depth, defense a liability . Goaltending questionable at best

Vancouver- great goalie and a bunch of underachieving rabble. Could put it all together or be no good again...
Peg- see Vancouver
Sens- building a team finally, we'll see if those big contracts pay off

Montreal- lottery contenders
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #47
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
1) Colorado
2) Leafs
3) Tampa
4) Flames
5) Carolina
6) Florida
7) Vegas
8) Oilers
9) NYR
10) Blues

1-6 are legit cup contenders IMO
5 of those 10 teams have question marks in goal, including the champs
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #48
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Not to derail but what’s up with that? Feels like there is less legit number #1 goalies out there.
This post is terrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yeah the Leafs aren’t winning anything let’s be honest. Especially with a significant downgrade in goal. This is where the Sens pick up of Talbot I think is underrated and should help them a lot, plus the addition of Sanderson on D and I think he will break out this year and be a stud. Upfront, they are pretty good too.

Honestly for only one year under the girls as owners they have turned #### around quite well this summer but who knows how much they had to do with it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:57 PM   #50
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Full season of Kane. Campbell is an improvement over Smith. I also think they’ve got prospects knocking on the door that will improve the bottom half of their roster.
We hear this every year and the guys show up and play 7 minutes a game because they have 2 players that won't leave the ice.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:07 PM   #51
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

1. Edmonton
2. Toronto
3. Calgary
4. Winnipeg
5. Ottawa
6. Vancouver
7. Montreal

Too much turnover in Calgary, hope I am wrong, but I just see a little bit of a setback for the team this year. Edmonton may have holes, but they have superstars, that alone will carry them far in the playoffs...see last year
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:31 PM   #52
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Flames

Rock bottom

50 feet of crap

Edmonton Oilers
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #53
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Toronto, Colorado, Vegas have serious question marks for sure. And I can see the argument with St Louis. Who is the last team?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:35 PM   #54
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Toronto, Colorado, Vegas have serious question marks for sure. And I can see the argument with St Louis. Who is the last team?
Edmonton is still questionable in goal. And I'm not just saying it because it's the Oilers. Campbell can be just as streaky as Smith. And then there's the confidence issues it's been said that he has.

In a place like Edmonton where the fans and media are quick to pin all the blame on the goalie it could turn ugly for him.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #55
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Edmonton is still questionable in goal. And I'm not just saying it because it's the Oilers. Campbell can be just as streaky as Smith. And then there's the confidence issues it's been said that he has.

In a place like Edmonton where the fans and media are quick to pin all the blame on the goalie it could turn ugly for him.
It's telling that the Leafs let Campbell walk and spent almost the same money on Matt Murray. Toronto is another place where fans and media can turn on you, and that's precisely what happened there.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Full season of Kane. Campbell is an improvement over Smith. I also think they’ve got prospects knocking on the door that will improve the bottom half of their roster.
Is Kane going to be the same driven player who was on his last chance or is he going to be the same entitled locker room cancer he has been on the last 3 teams he played for now that he has his contract?

Is Campbell truly an upgrade on Smith?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #57
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
Not to derail but what’s up with that? Feels like there is less legit number #1 goalies out there.
I think there are quite a few top goalies who play on teams not on Gulls top 10 list

Demko, Hellbuyck, Saros, Sorokin, Oettinger, Quick, Fleury, Kuemper, Andersen, Jarry, Gibson

Some of these may not be elite, but I'd argue they are better than many from that list of 10 teams
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Calgary - You can't argue that there is a breath of fresh air in that locker room, Also you can't argue about Weeger being a massive addon to a already good blueline. The Flames have a lot to prove and thus a lot of motivation.
Toronto - Just given their upfront scoring depth they can outscore a lot of teams as well. Their Blueline is sneaky deep. But their goaltending could be a major problem, but they might be able to outscore that during the regular season.
Sens - I like what they've done up front a lot, not a huge fan of their blueline and their goaltending duo doesn't look great. But I think they'll be that sneaky dead cat bouncish good team out of the gate and start incredibly hot. Then taper off a bit after new years.
Edmonton - Remember that they'll likely have to try to dump someone like JP up front or Foegele or a Barrie to get under the cap. They have the of the top three best players in the world up front, then it tapers off quickly to an awful bottom 6. Their blueline looks atrocious, and if they trade Barrie its AHL bad. Add on that you're going to put a goalie behind them that has never played more then 50 NHL games in a season, and a Skinner that is inexperienced. Plus say what you want about Smith and his fumbles, but for the most part he bailed out that defense with his puck moving skills. Lets see if their new coach can get McDavid and Draisaitl to play a team game for a whole season, its easy to do in a short burst including playoffs. But the new coach shine is off, and the Oilers glitter twins have a habit of going into business for themselves.
Vancouver - I really like their look up front. But that blueline woof. Demko is going to have to carry this team on most nights, but I think they could sneak by the over rated Oilers
Winnipeg - woof, a team in disarray.
Montreal - This could be one of the worst teams in modern hockey, we're talking 9 to 12 win territory.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #59
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Calgary

I am biased but if Markstrom can give us a decent performance we ought to be very tough to beat

2) Vancouver

I think under Boudreau they played very well. Some depth issues due to their cap problems but I think they'll be a tough out

3) Toronto

I like their group, but some question marks

4) Edmonton

In a fairly officiated series, they're pretty meh. McDavid is great, of course, though

5) Ottawa

Good young team, might eke out a playoff spot and give their opponent a good series

6) Montreal

meh. Some decent acquisitions but probably not a playoff team

7) Winnipeg

I still like PLD and Connor, but they're not what they were when they had Byfuglien and prime Wheeler.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary
Ottawa
Habs
Leafs
Jets
Canucks
Oilers