Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Huberdeau and Weegar Signing Discussion Thread

Huberdeau discussion should be pretty straight forward re-hash of the Gaudreau arguments. Gaudreau's UFA experience should be a cautionary tale for Huby.

Huberdeau turned 29 in June, so he will turn 30 before next season starts and an extension would kick in. He would turn 37 before the start of an 8th year.

IMO a huge factor in both of these signings is being able to take full advantage of their value AAVs this season. Normally you're weighing ~5 years of fair value vs ~3 years of poor value, but in these cases there is also 1 year of exceptional value at the front.

I have no idea what kind of terms are fair for Weegar? Late bloomer and he doesn't have a ton of career earnings at this point

Lastly, an extension does not preclude a trade for either player, even as soon as this TDL. IMO it makes sense for both players to secure their financial futures and worry about location later. Beyond injury risk is the challenge of adapting to a new team in a contract year.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks...the Tkachuk and johnny threads need to go
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think Weegar takes long to sign. I would like to see him in the ballpark of 5.5–6.5 for a long, long time. I think there's a chance he challenges for a Norris during his time here.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

You hate to give an 8yr contract to a guy entering his 30's but someone will so do you want the player or not?
Gotta figure Huberdeau is going to want at least 9M, if the team is still trying to win you pretty much have to pay it.
No idea what Weegar is worth.

If they can't sign either of them I hope they do a trade right away to maximize value.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Forget the trade deadline. Long term extensions or ship them out before the season. Trade deadline is too risky
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #6
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think there is a reasonable chance Weegar signs. I think there is a remote chance Huberdeau does.

Last edited by Duffalufagus; 07-24-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think huberdeau will take some time to ink an extension. I doubt they have started talking contracts yet. My guess is huberdeau will come in at 10.25 million for 8 years if he decides he sees Calgary as a fit . Weager at 6 million for 5 years .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My hope is that both players are receptive to taking large paydays and remaining a Flame. It's clear that the Flames were willing to pay top dollar to both Gaudreau and Tkachuk so if they decide not to sign a deal it won't be for lack of money. If they both commit to the Flames this team will still have a contending window and hopefully they can both realize that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can live with an overpay on both if they commit to this city for 8 years.

8x$10.5M for Huberdeau - he’s a bigger, stronger, Gaudreau.

8x$7.5M for Weegar - Bradagast said he thinks he’s a top-pairing D, so pay him like one.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess the Flames have already spoken with both player agents, this was likely done quite quickly.

No ideas if one or both will sign
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #11
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Sounds like as everyone has heard already that Huberdeau isn't too happy about this situation.

I hope the rumors are true about the players here doing group zoom chats and what not.

Have any of these guys ever played together in junior, or thr A or representing Canada? Anyone know?

Just trying to see if there's any familiarity with anyone.

I have to admit I'm still a little nervous waiting to see anything as far as player Interviews go just to hear these guys speak on everything that's happened since the news came down.

Man I hope the extension happen and happen soon. Wringing my hands and continuously checking CP for more news is making me more nutso than usual.....nervous anticipation for the stsrt of 2 seasons now with us having our affiliate here which is so awesome.

Can the seasons start tomorrow? Lol.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #12
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Nobody panic if they don't sign right away. Didn't it take Lindholm & Hanifin a month or two after their trade?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Forget the trade deadline. Long term extensions or ship them out before the season. Trade deadline is too risky

My point was you could sign them and still trade them at TDL if the team craters.

I don’t think Huby should play a single minute without a deal. I’m not as scared of letting Weegar play, though I suspect he’ll be keen to extend, even if for just 1 yr to start (not likely, but anything seems possible with him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #14
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
On a couple fronts. Return not as good. And what if the team is performing like it did last year? I got laughed off the board for suggesting the team had to sign Johnny before the trade deadline or deal him. The exact same situation could very well play out this spring.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #15
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I think huberdeau will take some time to ink an extension. I doubt they have started talking contracts yet. My guess is huberdeau will come in at 10.25 million for 8 years if he decides he sees Calgary as a fit . Weager at 6 million for 5 years .
We have the space with Monahan and Lucic off the books next year.
Would like Hub to get the Gaudreau contract though.
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Huberdeau's and Florida fans social media are talking about his Ferrari and how he won't be able to drive that in Calgary :P

As far as his views on our city - there are still the rumors of him spending time here in Calgary in the summers as well for training or other reasons - I've seen those both here on CP and also from a Canucks fan saying his Calgary friend sees Huberdeau in town every summer.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #17
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Huberdeau, I think I'd be okay with any of the following, but would lean to longer term:

5x12M = $60M
6x11.25M = $67.5M
7x10.5M = $73.5M
8x9.75M = $78M

The shorter terms wouldn't be crippling to retain salary on an eventual trade. Longer terms would hopefully be mitigated by cap inflation, but it's really about saving cap space up front.

On a longer deal, I don't think he'd be hard to move without retention in 2-3 yrs (though probably taking bad contracts back). If the team doesn't move to a rebuild for longer, then it's unlikely his remaining term would come back to haunt us.

FWIW, Panarin @ 11.6M takes him through his age 34 season. 5x12M would take Huby through his age 34 season, too.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #18
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
On a couple fronts. Return not as good. And what if the team is performing like it did last year? I got laughed off the board for suggesting the team had to sign Johnny before the trade deadline or deal him. The exact same situation could very well play out this spring.
The worst case situation is that the team keeps the players on their current deals and is a bubble playoff team. Then the fans won't tolerate a trade and management won't have cajones to do it.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #19
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Sounds like as everyone has heard already that Huberdeau isn't too happy about this situation.

I hope the rumors are true about the players here doing group zoom chats and what not.

Have any of these guys ever played together in junior, or thr A or representing Canada? Anyone know?

Just trying to see if there's any familiarity with anyone.

I have to admit I'm still a little nervous waiting to see anything as far as player Interviews go just to hear these guys speak on everything that's happened since the news came down.

Man I hope the extension happen and happen soon. Wringing my hands and continuously checking CP for more news is making me more nutso than usual.....nervous anticipation for the stsrt of 2 seasons now with us having our affiliate here which is so awesome.

Can the seasons start tomorrow? Lol.
I think this might be overblown...he was surprised for sure but almost immediately changed his IG to a Photoshop of him in a Flames jersey.

I think he would be open to signing...same "Canada tax" as other players but it is what it is
Old 07-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #20
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think Weegar takes long to sign. I would like to see him in the ballpark of 5.5–6.5 for a long, long time. I think there's a chance he challenges for a Norris during his time here.
Quite a bargain for a Norris candidate, isn't it?
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post: