Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #4381
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Pretty epic heel turn from Gaudreau this off season. Will make the BJs games fun.
Johnny is going to call in "sick" when the BJs come to town...
Old 09-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #4382
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't buy it...he will be watching how the Flames do closely
Old 09-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #4383
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just end up agreeing with Treliving's logic on it - It was well within Gaudreau's right to do what he did.

I don't love what Gaudreau did, but at what point would anything have changed? Right after the season ended? What was Treliving going to get for him? A 3rd round pick.. maybe? He wasn't going to be traded in mid-season - at least not after the Flames came out of that little slump they were in near the start of the year. Maybe then.. maybe. The concept of 'stringing the Flames along'. I actually buy into the notion that it was tough for Gaudreau to decide. However, even if did string Treliving along, well... the off-season ended up being damn spectacular anyway. Flames are better team on paper now than this time last year.

I expect the Dome to boo him. Heck, once the Dome gave Kiprusoff the Bronx cheer after what Kiprusoff did for this organization, nothing will surprise me any longer. There would have been boo birds no matter what Gaudreau did or said afterward, or how he left.

As for Gaudreau, he played in Calgary when he could have pulled a Fox, and Erixon, or even a Brandon Hickey (remember him? lol). He didn't. He came to Calgary and entertained us. He extended in Calgary too. He entertained us. It was fun having him in Calgary. Definitely the most exciting player to watch during those years, especially the post-Iginla era that was tough to stomach at first.

I would have absolutely loved to still have Gaudreau here and make the same Tkachuk trade - Flames would be a powerhouse team. However, it is what it is. He is gone, he is in Columbus, and I do think he shot himself in the foot by being indecisive for so long. Teams didn't prep for him, and got caught with their pants down. I do think that Columbus will challenge for a playoff spot this year, but that doesn't mean that they are going to be a successful team.

I look forward to putting up huge shots on net again on that team when they visit. I won't enjoy Gaudreau getting boo'd - in my opinion, he never once complained while in Calgary and never asked to be traded. Tkachuk did, and I probably deserves to get more boos. Even then, I would rather Tkachuk not get boo'd.

I will boo the guys who quit on the team. Players that disparaged the city or forced the Flames to trade them like Erixon, or Fox, or Hickey (never got a chance to boo him yet though! lol). Gaudreau.. I will stand up and politely applaud the Flames' appreciation video for him. That's about it. I will save my voice for the many goals Calgary will score on Columbus.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #4384
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When did Tkachuk ask to be traded? He said he wasn't going to re-sign in Calgary, gave Tre some options and allowed the Flames time to make a deal. Johnny did the exact opposite. There's no universe where Chucky gets booed and Johnny doesn't.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #4385
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are we still talking about this guy? Who fn cares what he says, he is history. So much to love about this roster right now and somehow this thread is at the top. I will be glad when it drops off the first page.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 08:42 PM   #4386
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
When did Tkachuk ask to be traded? He said he wasn't going to re-sign in Calgary, gave Tre some options and allowed the Flames time to make a deal. Johnny did the exact opposite. There's no universe where Chucky gets booed and Johnny doesn't.
I don't understand this. He didn't ask to be traded but he wasn't going to sign, what are we going to do with him? Stop negotiations and just let him sit? By saying he wasn't singing and providing a list of teams he essentially asked for a trade.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #4387
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I don't understand this. He didn't ask to be traded but he wasn't going to sign, what are we going to do with him? Stop negotiations and just let him sit? By saying he wasn't singing and providing a list of teams he essentially asked for a trade.
He said he wasn't going to sign long-term. The Flames had the option of extending him for one year and walking him to UFA. It would have been extremely stupid, but the possibility was there.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #4388
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
He said he wasn't going to sign long-term. The Flames had the option of extending him for one year and walking him to UFA. It would have been extremely stupid, but the possibility was there.
So he wanted to be traded by the answer he gave the team without saying trade me?
Old 09-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #4389
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So he wanted to be traded by the answer he gave the team without saying trade me?
Pretty much. And he set the team up to get poor value by giving them a short list of teams he was willing to sign with.

Getting the deal he did in those circumstances… This is proof that Treliving the Grey has come back from the dead and is now Treliving the White.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #4390
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty much. And he set the team up to get poor value by giving them a short list of teams he was willing to sign with.

Getting the deal he did in those circumstances… This is proof that Treliving the Grey has come back from the dead and is now Treliving the White.
His list also included Tampa, now he hates them the most and is in Florida to beat them on the 2nd line with Bennett lol.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #4391
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why are we still talking about this guy? Who fn cares what he says, he is history. So much to love about this roster right now and somehow this thread is at the top. I will be glad when it drops off the first page.
The Bennett and Jankowski threads have gone quiet. Perhaps we need to resurrect one.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #4392
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
yup, you're right chuck isn't the one deserving of booing, he showed class, professionalism, consideration etc where johnny was only thinking of himself imo.

He should have made up his mind and at least inform the flames he's unsure what he wants to do imo by the deadline, then it's on the club to determine do we trade or take the risk and wait to try signing. Not a fan.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:44 PM   #4393
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
after the BJ's come to town we can all boo, and cheer when he gets a welcome back "greeting" from our boys and get it out of our systems lol Then the thread will go away
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:18 AM   #4394
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not re-signing long-term is not at all the same as asking for a trade. There’s nothing to suggest that he wouldn’t have gone to arbitration, took his one year deal and then walked to UFA as was his rights that was so very obviously going to be exercised when he signed several years ago.

By informing the team it gave them a chance to get Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar. Agreeable enough outcome for all parties it would seem.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:25 AM   #4395
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
yup, you're right chuck isn't the one deserving of booing, he showed class, professionalism, consideration etc where johnny was only thinking of himself imo.

He should have made up his mind and at least inform the flames he's unsure what he wants to do imo by the deadline, then it's on the club to determine do we trade or take the risk and wait to try signing. Not a fan.
i don't understand this. at what point before the post season were you going to trade Gaudreau? Never. You made the playoffs and won the division giving you home ice advantage.

Tkachuk, after Gaudreau left showed his intentions. These intentions were he was planning on not signing with Calgary long term nor or his one year qualifying offer at 9 million / 1 year. He knew the season he had playing with Gaudreau and Lindholm had catapulted him into a MASSIVE contract despite who he played with and gave his list to Treliving. From there, Treliving did INCREDIBLE work and was able to manifest this deal with Bill Zito and the rest is history. Tkachuk didn't do this to help the Flames he did it to cash in on the best season he will ever see himself have in this league.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 AM   #4396
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He didn’t ask to be traded. He was going to finish his commitment to the Flames and then take his right to sign wherever he wants

Provide a list of teams in this case helps the Flames

You can boo him for having no loyalty to Calgary though
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:37 AM   #4397
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's literally been two months since the signing, training camps is just underway, of course people are going to discuss it. Stop trying to regulate how others should feel and what they should/shouldn't talk about, it's f'n weird.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #4398
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It strange to me that people are still put out by this.

Our team is going to be better off without a guy who didn’t want to be here anymore.

It was clear and I’m more pissed that they continued until the final hour to try and sign him instead of trading his rights at the draft for example.

If he really wanted to stay it would have been done by then at least.

Anyway, he wasn’t the guy to lead us to the Cup, he just isn’t. This is a new era for this team and I really like what it looks like so far.

We should revisit this in a year and see if the Flames are a better team and where Columbus is sitting. Will Johnny elevate that team to the playoffs and have success? I highly doubt he’ll carry the team on his back.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #4399
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/johnny-gaud...ld/c-335676784

Maybe Johnny just really doesn't like doing things until the last minute. I chuckled a bit reading this article where it reads they will welcome their baby into the world this week but still have not built any "baby stuff". I remember my wife had me have our son's room fully ready and stocked 5 months before the due date.

Exciting times for the Gaudreau family, wishing his wife and baby the best of health.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #4400
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still don't understand the he didn't ask to be traded. Tkachuk explored the RFA market and decided he wanted to leave. Even the list he provided most teams had cap issues anyways. It's common sense, he said he wasn't coming back and the logical thing to do was to trade him for both our benefit and his, so he may have not explicitly said trade me his actions indicated he wanted out.

Every time Johnny opens his mouth about Calgary he sounds like an idiot, and people keep saying he isn't a good public speaker. The guy has a degree in communications he should have some ability to string together a thoughtful sentence about the team. To me he sounds bitter, he saw the moves Treliving made and probably hears all the comments on how we are a better team with him and Tkachuk gone.

Tags
incels outing themselves