Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #5781
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the 13 handicap guy that shot 34 is pretty funny. Or the 15 handicapper shooting 37.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #5782
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Next Tuesday is the last week of my clubs Men's League. It's also week 4 of the playoffs where points earned are doubled. I'm sitting in 14th place out 60 plus golfers, hoping to move up a few spots next week and hopefuly into the top 10 in standings. It's good group of guys who love the game and love the competition.

Former Lethbridge Hurricane Brent Henke? And Abe is missing a participation point. Individual League must be interesting, only ever played team league, and just started that last year. Our finished last week and we sand bagged good enough to get into the B division for play offs but only finished 2nd in B Div playoffs. Tomorrow is the scramble/ wind up, looking forward to that but not the end of golf season. Curling starts on Thursday.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-23-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #5783
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Former Lethbridge Hurricane Brent Henke? And Abe is missing a participation point. Individual League must be interesting, only ever played team league, and just started that last year. Our finished last week and we sand bagged good enough to get into the B division for play offs but only finished 2nd in B Div playoffs. Tomorrow is the scramble/ wind up, looking forward to that but not the end of golf season. Curling starts on Thursday.
The league is both team and individual. You have the seasons long individual points race but you also have weekly games that are team based where points are awarded to each player. The weekly games are split into 2 divisions based on handicaps.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #5784
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone sees a Sun Mountain 2.5 carry bag on clearance in a proshop please let me know. Need one for traveling.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #5785
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried HackMotion? I'll probably only get a few more games in this year then its back to the basement for sim golf all winter. I feel like I improved a ton this year but my scores didn't really show it (still too many blow up holes) so I'm looking for a way to work on my consistency.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #5786
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Has anyone tried HackMotion? I'll probably only get a few more games in this year then its back to the basement for sim golf all winter. I feel like I improved a ton this year but my scores didn't really show it (still too many blow up holes) so I'm looking for a way to work on my consistency.
I’ve been in a similar situation. I’ve made some significant progress overall, but my scores are slowly dropping. I’m pretty convinced that next year “moving season” for me though, which is what I’ve entirely made up, but where I start to put things together more consistently and bring my index down by about 7-8. I dropped from my peak this year of 23.5, where I was thinking about every little thing and just struggling to golf because of it, down to 19.0. I’m hoping to crack into the 18’s still, but time is running out! I guess what I’m saying is that I want to be closer to 10 by this point next year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #5787
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’ve been in a similar situation. I’ve made some significant progress overall, but my scores are slowly dropping. I’m pretty convinced that next year “moving season” for me though, which is what I’ve entirely made up, but where I start to put things together more consistently and bring my index down by about 7-8. I dropped from my peak this year of 23.5, where I was thinking about every little thing and just struggling to golf because of it, down to 19.0. I’m hoping to crack into the 18’s still, but time is running out! I guess what I’m saying is that I want to be closer to 10 by this point next year.
It is frustrating to see the improvement in the shots, but not the scorecard for sure. I haven't tracked it yet but imagine I'm around 25hcp. I think next year I'll start tracking index but want to make sure I'm making the most of any time I get on the sim. I've been watching some worldclassgolf on YouTube and enjoy their deep dive into golf swings.

Hopefully next year I can start trying to break 95 instead of 100
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #5788
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'll get there, just need to stick with it.

I was an 18 when I started going for lessons, my index went up to 23 and then constantly went down from there. The lowest I ever got was 7.2 and now I float between 7 and 8.

I really wanted to break 70 this year, but haven't been able to put two 9s together.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #5789
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed today at elbow springs. With the exception of 4 holes, I averaged double bogie, which for me is what I aspire to. In the last few rounds I have managed to find my driver again to where I can start my tee shot to the right and then draw (I am a lefty) it back into the middle of the fairway

Now if only I could keep it together for 18 and get rid of those four bad holes

Great weather for late September and I thought the greens were pretty quick
Old 09-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #5790
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played 27 holes today. Did 18, stopped for lunch and then another 9 holes. Perfect temp and no wind made for a great round.

Speaking of great weather, all the popular trees on Nanton's front 9 still have all their leaves. Haven't had a really hard frost, and with above temps next week it will be much the same.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #5791
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Keep at it! I went from a 21 to a 12 on my own with a couple years of playing a lot, then got some lessons & really focused on my game and dropped as low as 7.4

Nowadays I hover around 10-12 because I just can’t play as much as I used to.

I’d say the biggest notable difference in my game between when i was a 7 and now playing at a 12 is the errant tee shots with my driver that cost me penalty strokes. Rest of my game is pretty much the same.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 10:07 PM   #5792
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Keep at it! I went from a 21 to a 12 on my own with a couple years of playing a lot, then got some lessons & really focused on my game and dropped as low as 7.4

Nowadays I hover around 10-12 because I just can’t play as much as I used to.

I’d say the biggest notable difference in my game between when i was a 7 and now playing at a 12 is the errant tee shots with my driver that cost me penalty strokes. Rest of my game is pretty much the same.
Those tee shots are absolutely the issue for me. I joke that I have about 13-14 good holes, but those other 4-5 can be absolutely crushing. I might have penalty strokes or get into trouble and take a 6-7 on those as a result, and that kills your score. I’ve been in the 80’s a handful of times this year though, so I know I have it in me somewhere!
Old 09-26-2022, 01:43 AM   #5793
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1574154002996011013
Old 09-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #5794
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those tee shots are absolutely the issue for me. I joke that I have about 13-14 good holes, but those other 4-5 can be absolutely crushing. I might have penalty strokes or get into trouble and take a 6-7 on those as a result, and that kills your score. I’ve been in the 80’s a handful of times this year though, so I know I have it in me somewhere!
Sounds like you may need to approach your game with a little more intent on course management. Play the hole backward in your head. Know where your strengths are and play off the tee to hit those strengths. Don't always blast driver and rely on making the touch shot. Many times you're better off hitting less club off the tee and leaving yourself a full shot into a green. If you carry a laser range finder, use it on every shot. Know where the trouble is, how much you have to carry certain hazards and be concerned about making one shot at a time. Think about how to achieve success. Know when it's time to try and score and when it is time to grind (it's always best to grind).

One of the things I've started doing was to stop pin seeking unless the angle is perfect. When I do go pin seeking I shoot the hazards rather than the pin. Better to know the minimum yardage I need to have than the exact to the pin. It has led to a lot more opportunities to score. If I am not 90% comfortable with the shot I'm looking at going after a pin I'll instead play middle of the green and try to make the longer putt. Better to grind out the par than leave yourself bunker and staring at a bigger number. That's the plan anyways. There are some days none of that works and you just have a bad round, but you need to have a game plan, learn to stick with it, and grind away.

One other thing I would recommend, learn to hit a 3 wood and a long iron (2-4 iron) really well off the tee. If you can hit these straight there aren't many scenarios where you're going to be hurt off the tee unless you make a mental mistake.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #5795
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Sounds like you may need to approach your game with a little more intent on course management. Play the hole backward in your head. Know where your strengths are and play off the tee to hit those strengths. Don't always blast driver and rely on making the touch shot. Many times you're better off hitting less club off the tee and leaving yourself a full shot into a green. If you carry a laser range finder, use it on every shot. Know where the trouble is, how much you have to carry certain hazards and be concerned about making one shot at a time. Think about how to achieve success. Know when it's time to try and score and when it is time to grind (it's always best to grind).

One of the things I've started doing was to stop pin seeking unless the angle is perfect. When I do go pin seeking I shoot the hazards rather than the pin. Better to know the minimum yardage I need to have than the exact to the pin. It has led to a lot more opportunities to score. If I am not 90% comfortable with the shot I'm looking at going after a pin I'll instead play middle of the green and try to make the longer putt. Better to grind out the par than leave yourself bunker and staring at a bigger number. That's the plan anyways. There are some days none of that works and you just have a bad round, but you need to have a game plan, learn to stick with it, and grind away.

One other thing I would recommend, learn to hit a 3 wood and a long iron (2-4 iron) really well off the tee. If you can hit these straight there aren't many scenarios where you're going to be hurt off the tee unless you make a mental mistake.
I actually think that course management is my biggest downfall. I played a round a few weeks ago and had never been there before. A guy was helping me out though and just saying "hit a 200 yard club here" or that kind of thing. I had a great round, overall. It dawned on me that I really need a caddy!

I'm not too sure how to best address the course management though. I've resisted the kind of "hit to a spot" sort of strategy and basically just gone to get it as near to the green as possible in regulation. Maybe that would be a way for me to improve things though? I guess my feeling was always that I'd rather be closer to limit the dispersion from being as much of a factor.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #5796
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have found that course management makes my life easier in situations where maybe you are 180 yards out with a side hill lie - do you try and make a shot with a longer club to get you close, or maybe make a management shot with a wedge of 30 or so yards forward, but you are now in the middle of the fairway

it is just hard to resist going for it at times
Old 09-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #5797
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have found that course management makes my life easier in situations where maybe you are 180 yards out with a side hill lie - do you try and make a shot with a longer club to get you close, or maybe make a management shot with a wedge of 30 or so yards forward, but you are now in the middle of the fairway

it is just hard to resist going for it at times
I go for that every single time at this point! Now that you mention it, I don't even think I have contemplated not going for that kind of shot. If I'm in the trees, or things like that, I take my medicine and chip out though.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #5798
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually think that course management is my biggest downfall. I played a round a few weeks ago and had never been there before. A guy was helping me out though and just saying "hit a 200 yard club here" or that kind of thing. I had a great round, overall. It dawned on me that I really need a caddy!
Amateurs really underestimate the value of a good caddy. They keep the player out of the way of themselves for the most part. Good caddies that know their player are going to make that player work to their strengths. They're going to keep them settled down when things go sideways and keep them isolated when they're rolling. Letting the player focus on just the swing is an amazing advantage that amateurs look past. They are not just someone who carries clubs, replaces divots, and rakes bunkers, they are a partner on the team. They are part strategist, part psychologist, part cheerleader, part cone of silence, and part best friend. They are there to help you be successful and for most partners that means just making the shot.

Quote:
I'm not too sure how to best address the course management though. I've resisted the kind of "hit to a spot" sort of strategy and basically just gone to get it as near to the green as possible in regulation. Maybe that would be a way for me to improve things though? I guess my feeling was always that I'd rather be closer to limit the dispersion from being as much of a factor.
Course management is the hardest thing to master, because you always want to compete in every situation. It's why so many guys care about how far they hit it off the tee rather than caring more about putting themselves in position for their next shot. Golf is not a game of beating the course, it is a game of taking what the course is willing to give you and coming away with a best result. You will never beat the course, because the course is always going to be different each time you visit it, and it will bring you to your knees more often than not. If you navigate it well, take what it gives you, you are likely to walk away being happy more often than not. That is where course management comes in.

My recommendation for course management is to understand which are your best scoring clubs and which yardages you make your best swings from. If you suck inside of 80 yards, why are you hitting to that yardage off the tee so much? You should be hitting to where you are successful the most. That should be your target yardage off the tee. If you're consistent at hitting your target to five yards +/- from 100 yards, or the same from 125 yards, why hit down to 65-80 yards where you are a 50% player from that yardage? It doesn't make sense. Play to your strength!

Remember that golf is a grind. Everyone loves to talk about the birdies they made out there, but how often do you make birdy when you are actually thinking about it and attacking a pin? Usually, players make birdy because they made a surprisingly good shot or sunk a long putt rather than stringing three good shots in a row. So play for the middle of the fairway where you can make a good shot to a clear target +/- 5 yards. That's a 15 foot putt, which should be the distance you spend most of your time practicing from to get pace. This is going to put you into position to grind out 18 easy pars if you're hitting your fairways and greens in regulation. It's your misses that make the game that much harder and your scores that much higher, right?

Here's an example. I was playing with some older gentlemen - all in their eighties - and all playing from the front of the golf course. Because I view golf as a social game I said I would play up with them and have some fun. I only used irons and I took it as an opportunity to play a "new" course and think my way around. I relied heavily on my range finder to find targets and play smart. It was a day of fairways and greens. Find the 125 marker and hit the appropriate iron off the tee to there. Hit my gap wedge or sand wedge into the middle of the green and make a putt or two. It was a great exercise and really made me focus on my game. It took what the course gave me and I walked away with a low round. Not because I pounded the ball a mile, but because I played it smart and played to my strengths. I highly recommend doing this every now and then because it does change your perspective and makes you think about your game that much clearer. That round got me on a roll. I think because it made me realize the game is about hitting targets and not just hitting it long. I managed the course and didn't give the course the opportunity to manage me. Give it a shot for a couple rounds. What have you got to lose?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 02:55 PM   #5799
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone has a chance to play Banff before they close for the season, I'd jump on it.

That place is as pure tee to green as I've ever seen it.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #5800
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'll play devils advocate here as I don't fully agree with Lanny. I feel that hitting as near to the green as possible is almost always the best strategy. There is this concept that a 60 yard shot is harder than a 120 yard shot and I fully disagree. One is half the distance of the other! I think this idea comes from the fact that at 60 yards you have a much higher expectation of how close you should end up to the hole than when you are 120 yards. So it feels like your 60 yards shots are worse because maybe your expectations are too high for that distance, but I'd wager than almost everyone averages closer to the hole when hitting from a shorter distance than a longer distance.

That's not to say course management is not important and Lanny makes other great points. The idea that hitting a longer shot is somehow better always kind of gets under my skin though. If those shorter shots are harder for you, I'd argue practicing them is the way to improve the score rather than putting yourself in a worse position to avoid them. Hit enough shots from 60 yards and you'll get much better!

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow