Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #2281
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not really Federal Government, but Mark Carney's Green Alliance in danger of falling apart as US Banks look to pull out over legal liability issues.

https://financialpost.com/fp-finance...er-legal-risks

Quote:
Wall Street banks including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Morgan Stanley and Bank of America Corp. have threatened to leave Mark Carney’s financial alliance to tackle climate change because they fear being sued over increasingly stringent decarbonization commitments.
Quote:
In tense meetings in recent months, some of the most significant members of the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ) have said they feel blindsided by tougher UN climate criteria and are worried about the legal risks of participation, according to several people involved in internal discussions.
Quote:
“I am close to taking us out of these global green commitments — I’m not going to allow third parties to create legal liabilities for us and our shareholders. It is immoral and irresponsible,” one senior executive at a United States bank said. “What if we get it wrong, make a mistake or someone lies? Then the bank can be sued, that is an unacceptable risk.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:56 PM   #2282
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572703345105866753

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572381293492551687

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572689633590255618
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 01:58 PM   #2283
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that anyone would see thar and think it's real is quite depressing actually. People (on twitter) are insanely stupid.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #2284
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The fact that anyone would see thar and think it's real is quite depressing actually. People (on twitter) are insanely stupid.
Some of the stuff shared on Twitter/Facebook is ridiculous. But what always gets me is that people seem to believe it. I have people on my friend list on facebook (coworkers mostly) who share outrageous things because they think its real, when its obviously fake. It amazes me.

I (and others I know) see these things and we're instantly questioning the accuracy, validity, whatever, whereas some people just seem to accept some things as truth almost instantly. It's equal parts hilarious and scary.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #2285
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Anyone know where to find the Canadian Federal Politics v4.0 thread? It seems to have been deleted.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #2286
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I'm old enough to remember when people respected Jamie Sale.

What a nutjob she's turned into.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #2287
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s clockwork, anytime the US, Russia, or The UK need a distraction, enter Tyranical Canada.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #2288
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

I mean... Theo Fleury should be high in all of our minds.

Heroes will just disappoint you. Respect is earned by the minute maybe.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #2289
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I mean... Theo Fleury should be high in all of our minds.

Heroes will just disappoint you. Respect is earned by the minute maybe.
That'd explain some things...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #2290
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the country focusing on Nova Scotia, let’s not forget about Garnett Genuis. I hope he is safe. Keep our eyes on the real threats to health and safety.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #2291
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Were Sale and Fleury partners in that stupid NHL ice dancing thing?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #2292
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Were Sale and Fleury partners in that stupid NHL ice dancing thing?
Yes
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #2293
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scary to see how easy it would be for them to say just that though. Putin and the CPC are colluding against me!

But seriously. I know JT isn't so dumb to draw a line so clearly as that fake tweet would do.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #2294
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Immigration is the driver. In the quarter century from 1990 through 2014, immigration averaged about 240,000 people a year. In 2014, the final full year of the Harper government, it was 260,000. The Trudeau government stepped on the gas. Projections of 340,000 immigrants a year in 2018 have been expanded to a minimum target this year of 432,000, and as many as 475,000 in 2024.

Canada’s municipalities and provinces are acting like they are blissfully unaware of any of this. Civic policies, notably around housing, are still stuck in the past, with most residential land restricted to low-density homes. Municipalities across Canada are, at best, reluctant to change these zoning rules. It’s not easy to build new housing, and restrictive zoning makes it especially difficult to add new housing – and new people – to established neighbourhoods. To add several million new people using the old model, Greater Toronto will have to sprawl far beyond the borders of the GTA – as it already is.

Efforts to loosen zoning have advanced in slow motion, leaving planning ever farther behind reality. In Victoria last week, after years of work and consultation, city council postponed a decision on modest zoning changes until after an October election. The plan was to allow mild density such as – how radical! – townhouses on street corners.

In Toronto, the city for years has mulled over “expanding housing options in neighbourhoods,” but the scope of change has been limited, and decisions keep getting pushed into the future. In cities surrounding Toronto, with more than half the GTA’s population, change is even slower.

Housing construction is behind demand; what about public transit? The news here is less bad. The Vancouver region is at work on two major projects: the Broadway subway and SkyTrain to the suburb of Langley. There are also solid plans for bus rapid transit. Montreal’s REM rail projects look promising. In and around Toronto, multiple big transit projects are in the works; some are even the right projects. But this comes after decades of transit inaction. Toronto’s Eglinton Crosstown LRT – planned in the 1980s, cancelled in the 1990s, reimagined in the 2000s, re-reimagined and finally begun in the 2010s – is a classic example. It’s still not finished.

The federal government is pushing ambitious population growth, so it needs to play a bigger role in housing, to make sure construction keeps up. Other jurisdictions like California and New Zealand have taken some control away from cities. B.C.’s NDP government is planning the same. In Ottawa, the Liberals have not yet acted on their $4-billion housing “accelerator” to “tackle NIMBYism.” The Conservatives in the last election pitched using federal infrastructure dollars to force cities to allow more density; new Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has a similar plan to take on “egregious cases of NIMBYism.”

Canada’s infrastructure, above all housing, is not keeping pace with Canada’s population growth. That has to change.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...nearly-enough/

This is why I think interest rates alone are not a good way to control inflation, and it seems like the dunceheads at BoC don't realize that.

We are effectively creating a supply issue for a 'product' that is in high demand, and then we're surprised when that 'product' becomes extremely expensive and when that affects the entire economy.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #2295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has denounced comments from far-right political commentator Jeremy MacKenzie — who made a threat of sexual violence directed at Poilievre's wife, Anaida Poilievre.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...595730?cmp=rss

https://twitter.com/user/status/1562487180127518723

I believe this is known as "reaping what you sow". Good thing Pollivere wants Canada to be the "freest country in the world", down with censorship...blah blah blah.

Quote:
"My office has referred these comments to the RCMP to assess whether criminal charges should be laid," he said in the statement.
Maybe he'll come around to recognizing egging on extremists and glad handing them isn't really the best strategy? Maybe. Probably not.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #2296
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I never thought the leopards would eat my face!" sobs man who has spent years consorting with leopards and is now the leader of the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #2297
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...nearly-enough/

This is why I think interest rates alone are not a good way to control inflation, and it seems like the dunceheads at BoC don't realize that.

We are effectively creating a supply issue for a 'product' that is in high demand, and then we're surprised when that 'product' becomes extremely expensive and when that affects the entire economy.
The 'dunceheads' at BOC don't control immigration or housing or whatever else you are on about.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #2298
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The 'dunceheads' at BOC don't control immigration or housing or whatever else you are on about.
It's always hilarious when the most respected and educated financial experts in Canada are called "dunceheads" by some dude on the internet. Hrmmm, let me evaluate who probably has a better handle on the situation...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #2299
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's always hilarious when the most respected and educated financial experts in Canada are called "dunceheads" by some dude on the internet. Hrmmm, let me evaluate who probably has a better handle on the situation...
Dunce heads comment notwithstanding, the article is not wrong.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #2300
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Dunce heads comment notwithstanding, the article is not wrong.
The problems may be obvious, but the solutions are not. Our world is build on financial systems that require perpetual growth. To keep them in tact, you must grow, and Canada is doing that through immigration. Stop that, and suddenly you have a whole load of other problems. I do wish we could operate in a world where growth isn't a requirement, but no one seems to have come up with a good solution.