Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 06:25 PM   #1
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Legal Advice - falsifying invoices

Doing work for a contractor that is on a cost plus basis, they are asking me for a second higher price invoice that they will not pay, that they will just show the customer.

I assume it's not legal? what's the law against it?
What are the risks for me issuing the invoice?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:59 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's straight up fraud I would try and get away from that contractor as soon as possible. They can make up their own bogus invoices.

You can get yourself in deep trouble doing this, you'll either have 2 invoices on the books for the same thing, or a missing invoice and number. That's the kind of thing that raises red flags.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:14 PM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no. That’s fraud.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if you don’t do it, they’re probably going to doctor your first invoice so don’t assume you’re in the clear by ignoring their request.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 07:26 PM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they are asking you to do this, like it ain't no thing, it makes me wonder how normal this kind of thing is in that industry.

If you are a credited accountant, should you maybe report this to your accreditation authority? I don't know how it works, but maybe they can give you some advice and cover your butt in the event they do alter the real invoice.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-15-2024 at 07:30 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 07:31 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What ever you do make sure you get paid up front
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:02 PM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve done a lot of work on a cost plus basis. Many times would my customers randomly audit invoices. Would you want someone to reach out and confirm a fraudulent invoice with your information on it?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:29 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh might as well it's not like you're going to get into trouble.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:31 PM   #9
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Eh might as well it's not like you're going to get into trouble.
Audits are not fun
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean...lets start just with the terminology...

"Falsifying Invoices"

Hm. What could be wrong here...?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 08:35 PM   #11
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Audits are not fun
Oh as a spectator they're immense fun.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:44 PM   #12
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Doing work for a contractor that is on a cost plus basis, they are asking me for a second higher price invoice that they will not pay, that they will just show the customer.

I assume it's not legal? what's the law against it?
What are the risks for me issuing the invoice?
Man, stupid story time.

My buddy (not a euphemism, legit not me) had a contractor propose the same thing but with a shadier piece thrown in; they would sign a contract to execute at X price more than my buddy was charging. Then, my buddy would get paid by this customers customer, and give the difference between the original quote and the amount paid by the customer customer back to this guy in cash. (yeah, typical GC bull####). My buddy is a standup guy but certainly lets dollars and business cloud his judgment, so he agreed to do the job.

And wouldn’t you know it? The dirt bag who was lying and stealing from his customers also turned out to lie and steal from his suppliers. Love my buddy but that’s what you get.

Don’t do shady deals man. They’re shady for a reason.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:46 PM   #13
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I get the sense there is a big grey area when you get into rebates. But I think this guy is approaching it all wrong. I think it's pretty common to have a deal like, give me 10 jobs and and I'll give you 10% cash back... But I don't get the issuing a fake invoice thing why would you want the paper trail on something like that, and basically all he has told me is that he thinks he is underpaying me for my work.

I get the sense it's pretty damn common in a couple industries.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:00 AM   #14
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Go for it! What's the worst that could happen?
Disclaimer: this IS financial and legal advice
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 08:11 AM   #15
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you actually asking for advice in a public forum about whether or not you should commit fraud?
Old 01-16-2024, 08:47 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I get the sense there is a big grey area when you get into rebates. But I think this guy is approaching it all wrong. I think it's pretty common to have a deal like, give me 10 jobs and and I'll give you 10% cash back... But I don't get the issuing a fake invoice thing why would you want the paper trail on something like that, and basically all he has told me is that he thinks he is underpaying me for my work.

I get the sense it's pretty damn common in a couple industries.
It is. I know what he's doing.

When you work Cost+ which is what large Contractors do and they have numerous trades sub-contract under them.

Usually the Head Contractor subs his trades out, and bills the customer for their materials and time at 'Cost+' and its usually like 15% or something like that.

But buddy knows that the client clearly has no idea what 'Cost' is, so if he inflates the 'cost' then he can inflate the '+' and pocket the difference.

I dont know if its illegal, per se, but its sure as hell unethical.

This is whats happening.

Buddy has:

1. A Cost+ Client
2. Who doesnt know what the Cost is.
3. Has exhibited lots of money.
4. He has decided he wants to take some of it. More of it than his work is entitled to.
5. Wants you to do his background work for him. I guarantee you that you're not the only one he's asked. If he's SMRT he's trying to inflate the cost of the entire project across all the trades.

Because the thing is, he can be asked to provide proof of the cost of Materials and getting Home Depot to change their invoices isnt gunna happen.

Asking the subs though? That can be done.

And yeah, I've seen this happen before. And people wonder why GCs have a poor reputation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 03:46 PM   #17
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Are you actually asking for advice in a public forum about whether or not you should commit fraud?
I was actually wondering if anyone knew the specific laws that would be cited as a violation, so I could read them.

I don't really have any intention of submitting two different invoices, but I know there are a lot of games that can be played with fine-print discounting and rebates. I'd like to read a little bit more and understand better where the grey area is, because I was quiet certain what he proposed was a red line.

I do have 100% certainty if you are hiring someone on a cost plus contract bases, if a car dealer promises to show you the invoice... there are these games being played where they get a rebate on a separate statement that they don't show you, or some fine print saying x% discount.... And while I squashed this proposal and just sent my invoice, I do think I will be asked again and need to understand the exact rules better.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually wondering if anyone knew the specific laws that would be cited as a violation, so I could read them.

I don't really have any intention of submitting two different invoices, but I know there are a lot of games that can be played with fine-print discounting and rebates. I'd like to read a little bit more and understand better where the grey area is, because I was quiet certain what he proposed was a red line.

I do have 100% certainty if you are hiring someone on a cost plus contract bases, if a car dealer promises to show you the invoice... there are these games being played where they get a rebate on a separate statement that they don't show you, or some fine print saying x% discount.... And while I squashed this proposal and just sent my invoice, I do think I will be asked again and need to understand the exact rules better.
Sounds like fraud to me, which has a pretty wide definition:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ction-380.html

You exaggerating an expense, and then charging the customer for that, is pretty straightforward fraud. I would not be a party to that. Definitely the kind of thing that could get you a record, licenses revoked, and possible jail time. Doesn't matter if you're profiting from it, you're still a party to the fraud and will be found liable.

Like other have said, I wouldn't deal with this guy. If he's willing to steal from the customer, he's willing to steal from you. Get paid up front for the job you are doing. Don't ever do a job with them again.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:02 PM   #19
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’m not even sure fraud is a crime anymore. Doctor them up but only do so after they pay an additional premium for your extra work, that way when you get audited eventually as they drag you off to federal pound you in the ass prison you can say the fraudulent invoices were merely accounting for your extra billing
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:08 PM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fraud is only a crime for the little guy. Are you a little guy?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: