Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #201
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm another hopping on the winter tire bandwagon thanks to CP. I was going to try and get by on my summer tires until next winter due to the cost but I could barely make it out of a C-Train Park & Ride station the other week. Took me about 20 minutes to get out, kept spinning on the ice. It was terrible and embarrassing. As I spun and spun, I decided at that moment to get the winters.

Ended up with the Nokian Hakka R's and they are great. Feels like I'm driving a tank in those things!
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #202
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Le Bump.

It's about that time of year again.

Would be interesting to see some feedback from the converts last season.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 10-05-2010 at 08:46 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #203
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R FTW
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #204
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put a new set of Pirelli Angels on at the start of winter. Decently sticky for the colder pavement, and they shed water on wet days pretty well too. Recommend them to anyone for their winter motorcycling.

Yeah, I'm a bastage.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #205
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The wifes car handled like a curling rock with stock OEM tires, I put Arctic Claw brand (inexpensive) ? winters/Ice tires and it made a huge difference.

Save your alloy rims and buy some steel rims, no change over fee pays for the rims.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #206
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
The wifes car handled like a curling rock with stock OEM tires, I put Arctic Claw brand (inexpensive) ? winters/Ice tires and it made a huge difference.

Save your alloy rims and buy some steel rims, no change over fee pays for the rims.
Now my belief in the effectiveness of winter tires is in question.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #207
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Amazing set of tires I tell you! I used them on my Mazda 3 for 2 seasons. Those things last as they still have a lot of tread left on them. And they handle quite well!

This year, I'm going to try out the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on my Subaru WRX and see how they fair against the Hakka R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Now my belief in the effectiveness of winter tires is in question.
How so? He said winter tires made a huge difference.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #208
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
How so? He said winter tires made a huge difference.
You don't know about Pinner's awesome driving advice?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #209
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I missed that.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #210
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thirded. Put these on my Civic SI and there is no ice I'm afraid of.

One example. There was a steep hill where everybody was sliding down with their Jeeps, Vans, and Trucks, albeit maybe sans winter tires. I just pulled left and drove up the hill past them.

Will never puchase a different winter tire as long as they are still being produced by the finnish gods.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #211
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
4th'ded

Hakkapeliitta's are ridiculously grippy tires. If it weren't for the cost, they would be the only winter tire I would recommend to my customers. Unfortunately they are out of the reach of a lot of people. Most guys with stupidly expensive cars will typically run them in the winter.

I personally run Pirelli snow sports simply because they are our house brand and I can usually pick up a cheap set of seconds or take offs every few years. However, I would rank Pirelli pretty darn close to to Nokian for grip and low road noise, and they are about 1/3 less in cost.

I really hope we go like Quebec and make snow tires mandatory. The grip on acceleration is one thing, but the stopping distance improvements is laughably better, and the thing that is going to prevent more accidents. However that will be very hard to explain to Chevy Z71 and Ram 3500 Cummins drivers with pissing calvin's and truck testicles that think that winter grip only applies to climbing their trucks over medians to avoid traffic jams or think bombing down the highway at 130 is safe because the haz a rad 4 by 4 !!!!1one!!
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #212
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I run Hakks in the winter and Falken ZE912's in the summer on my Accord.

I've always run two sets, bettr performance and safety are well worth the expense.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #213
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Would be interesting to see some feedback from the converts last season.
Bought the Good Year Nordic tires on sale from Canadian Tire. It really is night and day between those and all season tires.

Makes me shudder though when I consider looking at a brand new car with 18" wheels- what I will pay for rims and tires for that thing.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #214
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post

They your rims look like butt for 8 months of the year. I just got a second set of alloys for the Mrs. Only a few hundred bucks more than the steel rims.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #215
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
They your rims look like butt for 8 months of the year. I just got a second set of alloys for the Mrs. Only a few hundred bucks more than the steel rims.
I lucked out and found alloys on Kijiji that were the exact size and bolt pattern that I needed, and had winter tires with quite a bit of tread left on them. I was really only looking for the rims to put new winters on them.

What made the find even more lucky and beneficial to me was that I was wanting to run 15 inch rims (instead of 16) in the winter to save some money on the tires (higher-profile = cheaper winter tires generally), and that particular tire and 15" rim combo was pretty much exactly the same circumference as my 16" tire and rim combo. An inch smaller on the rim and an inch larger on the tire.

The main consideration when doing something like that is whether or not it will fit over your brakes. I did some quick measurements before handing over the cash as I felt confident that they would, plus I had also done some research online and other people with my same car had reported some success. I walked away with alloys and decent winter tires with a few years of tread left on them for less than $500.

If I didn't find alloys that were the right size, I would have picked up some black steelies anyway.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #216
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use my stock rims with winter tires, and put on my shiny summer rims and tires in the summer. Works well and I can change them out by myself, so I don't need to bring it in to a shop when there are 10 million people in there.

A bit of an investment for summer rims and tires and then the winter tires, but well worth it. You really need two types of tires in Canada. Unless you compromise and go with a Nokian WR G2, which isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by worth; 10-06-2010 at 08:50 AM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #217
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless you compromise and go with a Nokian WR G2, which isn't a bad idea.
I think that's about the only tire I would that would actually work in both winter and summer.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #218
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
4th'ded

Hakkapeliitta's are ridiculously grippy tires. If it weren't for the cost, they would be the only winter tire I would recommend to my customers. Unfortunately they are out of the reach of a lot of people. Most guys with stupidly expensive cars will typically run them in the winter.

I personally run Pirelli snow sports simply because they are our house brand and I can usually pick up a cheap set of seconds or take offs every few years. However, I would rank Pirelli pretty darn close to to Nokian for grip and low road noise, and they are about 1/3 less in cost.

I really hope we go like Quebec and make snow tires mandatory. The grip on acceleration is one thing, but the stopping distance improvements is laughably better, and the thing that is going to prevent more accidents. However that will be very hard to explain to Chevy Z71 and Ram 3500 Cummins drivers with pissing calvin's and truck testicles that think that winter grip only applies to climbing their trucks over medians to avoid traffic jams or think bombing down the highway at 130 is safe because the haz a rad 4 by 4 !!!!1one!!
Quite a few trucks are running tires with snowflakes, and no one drives in 4x4 at 130, at least I shut mine off above 110.

I refuse to shell out another $1200-1500 for special winter tires when mine come winter rated. You would hardly need winter tires here if they'd sand the major roads in a timely fashion. We don't get near the amount of snow here compared to Quebec.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #219
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Quite a few trucks are running tires with snowflakes, and no one drives in 4x4 at 130, at least I shut mine off above 110.

I refuse to shell out another $1200-1500 for special winter tires when mine come winter rated. You would hardly need winter tires here if they'd sand the major roads in a timely fashion. We don't get near the amount of snow here compared to Quebec.
Snow isn't always the problem - it's ice. And with the constantly changing temperatures here in Calgary, we get plenty of that.

I used to think that the value of snow tires were a myth until I drove a friend's vehicle that had some one and I couldn't believe the difference. I bought a set the next week - I've been a believer ever since.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #220
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Snow isn't always the problem - it's ice. And with the constantly changing temperatures here in Calgary, we get plenty of that.
This can't be emphasized enough. Winter tires stay softer in colder temperatures, which we get plenty of even though we don't get as much snow as most of Canada. When we do, however, it is usually wet and followed by a sharp drop in temperature. Plus the constant thawing and freezing here creates plenty of ice.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote