Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #281
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So is that the actual increase for people at 7.5%? I only ask because for the past couple weeks I kept hearing that zero doesn't actually mean zero, so now I assume that 7.5% might equate to a different number as well?
7.5% increase to the rate. Valuations will determine the real number (so you could have a zero percent increase in the rate, but if your valuation goes up you'll pay more).

I mean, that's if I followed the vote right.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #282
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city should be forced to buy your home if you like for their valuation -10% or something. Keep them honest.

My valuation is more than I paid when the market was decent
Old 11-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #283
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So is that the actual increase for people at 7.5%? I only ask because for the past couple weeks I kept hearing that zero doesn't actually mean zero, so now I assume that 7.5% might equate to a different number as well?
It’s also 7.5% on around half your taxes plus whatever the provincial government increases.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #284
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The city should be forced to buy your home if you like for their valuation -10% or something. Keep them honest.

My valuation is more than I paid when the market was decent
If it's wrong by a lot you should fight it. It isn't hard, and then they use that as the baseline going forward, so it saves you money each year.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #285
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s also 7.5% on around half your taxes plus whatever the provincial government increases.
This tax system is just non-sensical. I thought that this was determined and then the province decides what to keep from the overall total? I didn't think that it was added to the final tally as well?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #286
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s a good link

https://www.calgary.ca/cfod/finance/...lculation.aspx

It’s two completely separate taxes collected together. The city sets their rate, the province sets their rate.

So this years taxes relative to last years taxes would be

2020 tax = City portion * 1.075 * change in assessment + Provincial portion * change in assessment * tax increase from the province

From what I can tell the province is collecting 15 million more from property tax in Calgary. Not sure what that is in %. The province portion is about 35% of the total and the city 65% of the total. So if you had to guess your total tax bill with neutral assessment Is probably going up 5-6%
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #287
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Here’s a good link

https://www.calgary.ca/cfod/finance/...lculation.aspx

It’s two completely separate taxes collected together. The city sets their rate, the province sets their rate.

So this years taxes relative to last years taxes would be

2020 tax = City portion * 1.075 * change in assessment + Provincial portion * change in assessment * tax increase from the province

From what I can tell the province is collecting 15 million more from property tax in Calgary. Not sure what that is in %. The province portion is about 35% of the total and the city 65% of the total. So if you had to guess your total tax bill with neutral assessment Is probably going up 5-6%
I knew how that worked, but I guess for me the confusion is about the provincial portion. Wasn't the city dealing with an issue in the last year because the province decides to take more of a percentage of the property tax? I thought that there was a budget shortfall thrust upon the city because of that?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #288
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

37% of property taxes goes to the province. The province increased the amount for 2020 by $15.5m over the year before. So the pie needs to get bigger for the province to get it's piece and the City's piece to stay the same size.

Other budget shortfalls thrust onto the city by the province included taking a larger piece of police fines (26.7% up to 40% about $10m per year), charging municipalities for forensic DNA analysis ($2m per year), and not helping cover the cost of Cannabis-related policing even though Cannabis tax is bringing in $30m per year and growing to $84m by 2022-23 ($1m per year). These directly effect CPS to $13m this year.

The province also decided to reduce the grants it payed in place property tax on its buildings in Calgary. I haven't seen a lot of numbers on this, but it equates to about $5m per year. There are also changes to the Municipal Sustainability Initiative and City Charter that will have big effects in 2022 and beyond.

https://www.calgary.ca/financialfacts has the breakdowns of property taxes, cost of services, and a bunch of other info.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #289
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As I understand it, here is where the 2020 residential property tax hikes are coming from.

City 2020 budget adjustment - 0.7% increase (reflects the $13m in cuts from the province to CPS)

City 2020 tax shift (from 49 res // 51 biz to 52 res // 48 biz) - 6.8% increase

Total increase - 7.5% on the typical home (about $10 per month)

Also an interesting chart from the Altus Group showing property tax on median home as % of median income.

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #290
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This has been in the headlines for awhile now, but I didn't see anyone post about it.
A quick rundown, Magliocca and a bunch of other city Councillors went to a conference to Quebec, running up a tab of ~$30,000. several of the councillors ran up tabs of between 2 and 3 thousand dollar, while Magliocca ran up a tab of $6,400.00 on things like steak dinners and booze, claiming to be hosting other officials.
That isn't the end of it. as it turns out, many of the people he claimed to be hosting have come out and stated they were'n't there and have never met Magliocca.
He's blaming it on a clerical error and has paid back part of it, but it's looking less and less like it was a simple clerical error.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-dine-with-him
Old 02-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #291
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well color me surprised Joe Magliocca is unethical.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #292
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has this been going on for a while?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #293
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I always get the feeling that Magliocca would be a better fit on the Sopranos or in the White House than City Council. There’s no way that was an honest mistake.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #294
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Magliocca, who’s in his mid-50s, said in an interview Friday that he can’t recall whom he actually had the meals with because “I’m old.”

lol hes old and losing his memory apparently. time to step down then?
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #295
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a case of falsely claiming meal/meeting attendees, but Magliocca's been in the news before about comparatively high expense claims. From 2014:

Quote:
Dining on taxpayers’ dime offers councillors food for thought

Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald 08.10.2014

Since joining council last fall, Joe Magliocca has often said he wants to find savings and “trim the fat” at City Hall.

He has also billed taxpayers $350 for espresso-making equipment and expensed several meals at upscale restaurants, including one lunch that was more expensive than his new office Nespresso machine.

At Kensington’s Osteria de Medici, Magliocca laid down his corporate MasterCard in January for a $398 chef’s special off-the-menu lunch shared by five people, including himself. The table was never shown prices for the antipasti, angel hair pasta, veal parmigiana and more.

It’s by far the priciest meal that any of Calgary’s 14 city councillors expensed in the first half of 2014, according to expense disclosures.

[…]

At the Magliocca meal that cost almost $400 last January, Airdrie Mayor Peter Brown was one of the guests.

“I can tell you the food was awesome. But I can tell you we don’t talk about the price,” recalled Brown, who sat at the table with Magliocca, an executive from suburban builder Shane Homes, another guest whose name the city councillor said he can’t recall and, for part of the afternoon, the restaurant owner’s son.

[…]

Asked in an interview about the meal and his views on taxes and spending, the northwest councillor said it was his first time, and he didn’t expect media attention for it.
“You can chalk it up to a rookie mistake, probably,” he said. “Next time, I’m going to pay it out of my own pocket, even if I’m doing business, and that’s sad, isn’t it?”

[…]

Magliocca has long had an affinity for Osteria de Medici, which bills itself as a “premier fine dining establishment” that has fed celebrities such as Luciano Pavarotti, Tom Selleck, Kevin Costner and ex-U.S. president George W. Bush. The councillor hosted two campaign fundraisers there last year — one a jazz night and another he promoted on Twitter as offering scotch, cigars and an “exquisite three-course Italian dinner” for $125 a head.

Regarding Magliocca’s espresso maker, there is a single-serve coffee and espresso maker in the councillors’ common area, so Magliocca’s $350 expense shouldn’t have been approved, said Jones, the longest-serving ward representative.

[…]

Magliocca, a sales executive in the charter airline business, said several councillors’ aides use his machine, and he serves guests with it. He’s not fond of the public machine, which he believed only makes regular coffee. “I don’t drink that stuff.”
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/po...777/story.html

Last edited by frinkprof; 02-09-2020 at 08:41 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #296
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Magliocca should be tossed out of City Hall or charged with Fraud, what he was doing is pretty transparent.

Its a bad look

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #297
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Always the "fiscal hawks" isn't it?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #298
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That phrase needs to be put to rest. Too much blind faith in politicians who pretend to be such a hero of the public purse.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #299
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What a slimebag. I like how in his apology he capped it off with "and that's the last time I will speak about it" as if he decides when his scandal is over. This whole council seems to be a giant hodgepodge of the worst personality types ever.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #300
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Integrity commissioner recuses himself from Magliocca investigation. turns out Magliocca expensed a $163 lunch with the commissioner.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ca-moves-ahead

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat