Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #1041
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Depends how backed up the course is. No point in letting a twosome go ahead if you'll be waiting behind them at the next hole for ten minutes. At that point everyone's waiting anyways and now you've made your own group wait even more.
If it gets them to STFU i'm all for letting them play through. Quite often those type of golfers are hitting into you or very close.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #1042
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our problem was you could see them dogging it on the greens. Practinf chipping and putting etc. We would have let hem play through if they came up to the tee box. But never did.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #1043
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

5.5 in Banff.It was harsh

Last edited by FragileMind; 05-22-2017 at 05:39 AM.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #1044
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I played at D'Arcy on sat and it took 5 hrs. That course is always slow and they need to figure it out. Didn't help that there was a group of guys playing from the tips when they should have been playing the whites. Dude hit his ball 3ft off the tee and his buddy followed that up with a couple of swing and misses. Marshall needs to chat with them instead of just driving around with his red flag up.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #1045
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My $0.02 on D'Arcy.

They can't really do much in terms of pace. Both 9's are 5, 4, 3. #1 is so short that pretty much anyone can reach in two which backs up the tee. I guess they could space out the tee times a bit more. They used to hold the #1 tee until the group ahead reached the green, not sure if they are doing that any more.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #1046
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ isn't d'arcy ranch notoriously slow on weekends. It is not an easy course.

I recall playing there once on a Saturday morning and we got to the turn at about 2.10 after our tee off and I could here the Marshall identify our group by name and said we were reason the pace was slow. At point we were a little behind and we caught up. To me 2.10 on a Saturday is an acceptable pace for a foursome
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #1047
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
To me 2.10 on a Saturday is an acceptable pace for a foursome
Not intended as a critique of anyone, just a pet peeve of mine.

Time should never be an indicator of good pace of play. Your responsibility is to stay in position on the course, which is a shot or two behind the group in front of you, even if that group has fewer players. I know this isn't reasonable at times, but that should be the expectation of your rabbits. Good course management pushes the pace of the first groups out to play as quickly as they can. If the first 4-6 tee times are slow, the course will be slow.

From a course perspective, a rule of thumb is to take the finishing tee time of the first group off the course, and then add one minute for every tee time on the sheet before noon. For most courses with an 8:00 start, this will be anywhere between 24-30 tee times, or 24-30 minutes. This number will usually be the pace for the golf course for play after your turn time (usually 2:00 or 10:00 am). So if your first round comes off in 4:00, you can expect a 4:30 round for your 10:00, and depending on length of your day, that can extend out beyond that. This is why it is very important to have good marshals on course to help manage play.

From a player perspective I always recommend that you take into consideration the other patrons trying to enjoy the course with you. Pick a tee reasonable to your skill level. Play from the tee most acceptable to your weakest player. Play ready golf. Don't make everyone putt everything out, unless you're in a tournament - gimmes help keep the game light and people less frustrated. Don't spend undue time hunting for balls, making you fall out of position. Recognize your own abilities, how far you can hit a ball, and keep the testosterone in check.

I think we can all agree that there is nothing more frustrating than following a group who is playing from the tips when they should clearly be teeing up from the middle of the course or further up. Or how annoying is it to watch a group wait for each other to hit in turn, then take 15 minutes on a green to finish their putts, especially those 18 inchers. I think we also all can feel the pain of standing on a tee box while four players hunt in the woods for 15 minutes for a $2 Topflite, or waiting for someone to hit their second shot into the green on a par 520 yard par 5 when they barely hit it 200 off the tee. Imagine how much quicker and more enjoyable a round would be if we all just didn't do this stuff?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #1048
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pace of play is simple. First group of the day plays in 4 hours. Everyone else keeps up to the group in front of you or gtfo the course.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #1049
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

played 4 times this weekend.

Even better, turned on golf channel right now, and college girls golf, is having an exciting finish.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #1050
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Pace of play is simple. First group of the day plays in 4 hours. Everyone else keeps up to the group in front of you or gtfo the course.
If your first group is off in 4:00, as a golf course, you're screwed. You need your rabbits off the course in under 3:30. 4:00 is your mid-morning tee time target.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #1051
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If your first group is off in 4:00, as a golf course, you're screwed. You need your rabbits off the course in under 3:30. 4:00 is your mid-morning tee time target.
That's what private courses are for, I don't think under 3:30 is realistic on a non private course, I'm all for it, but,,,,
Old 05-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #1052
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not. If you are getting done in 4 hours plus or minus a few minutes, be happy.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #1053
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ew era - I should have been more clear. In my example at one point we were behind the group ahead of us, but we caught up. We could not have played any faster.

I am all about ready golf. Decide on your weapon as you are walking up to your ball, drop your bag, hit and move forward. Don't obsess over your putt.

But that being said, I no longer focus that much on my score, so it is easy to play fast.

I like being in one of the early groups. It is nice playing in three hours.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #1054
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I broke my 6i today, shooting from in the trees, and barely hit one on a follow through, bent it right in half., first for me.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #1055
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's what private courses are for, I don't think under 3:30 is realistic on a non private course, I'm all for it, but,,,,
I don't know what the difference between a private and a public course is as far as pace of play goes? There should be no difference. My home course is public and has a 4:07 guarantee before noon. Also, you said first group of the day. If you can't play a clear golf course in 3:30 as a four ball, how did you put it, gtfo the course.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #1056
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
My buddies and myself do 3:30 on a regular basis at Nanton.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #1057
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I broke my 6i today, shooting from in the trees, and barely hit one on a follow through, bent it right in half., first for me.
Looks like you need a new tree iron
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #1058
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My buddies and myself do 3:30 on a regular basis at Nanton.
Even fishing all the balls you shoot in the water?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #1059
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm on summer 3 of no 7 iron after doing the same thing.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #1060
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Waiting sucks no doubt about it. But you have to know what you're getting yourself into. If your constantly playing between 11am and 2pm you are kind of getting what you deserve. Personally I either play within the first hour of the tee sheet and twilight. It's rare that I ever run into any big wait times and rarely see a round over 4 hrs.

On another note, I have trouble understanding people that are on a mission to play as fast as possible. Are you guys playing at a pace in which you aren't removing pins for putts and have a 6' gimme range? Just based on some of the times people have posted in this thread it's the only way I could see it ever happening. What's the big rush and why is there a massive sense of pride in playing a round in under 3 hours? As long as you aren't holding anyone up take a breather and enjoy yourself.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow