Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #1001
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
It was, we went through Home Alyze, can't remember his name at the moment but I can check when I get home if you really want it.

The deck is about 4 feet or so off the ground, he crawled right under and checked everything out.

Are we talking 6 inch long ones, or more? Edit: Would these be too small? https://www.lowes.ca/screws/fastenma..._g2563683.html
6" seems a bit too long, but it will depend on what you have for a ledger board/rim joist/header. I'd probably go 4" or so... Regardless, I definitely wouldn't go longer than 6", you risk punching through something on the other side, or having no threads in the rim joist to hold the ledger tight.

Those screws look good though.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #1002
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is a 2600 PSI pressure washer enough to wash the slab of my garage? I don't have a particularly dirty floor or anything, but I do want to freshen it up. Driveway as well. I'd use the lower settings for decks, patio furniture, etc.

This is the model I've been looking at. It has decent reviews: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/di...8587p.html#srp
yeah, that's lots of power. and it's gas (never buy an electric pressure washer).

If you don't want to buy a $600 pressure washer, you can get some concrete cleaner to do the job for $20.

At the very least, take a look at cheaper pressure washers. $600 is about 2x what I paid for mine. I bought mine from Costco.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #1003
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
6" seems a bit too long, but it will depend on what you have for a ledger board/rim joist/header. I'd probably go 4" or so... Regardless, I definitely wouldn't go longer than 6", you risk punching through something on the other side, or having no threads in the rim joist to hold the ledger tight.

Those screws look good though.
Makes sense, I think I'll pick up some of the 3 5/8 ones then.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #1004
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Looking at building a fence this summer, just curious what others can estimate their cost per foot was? I've got two neighbours willing to split their side, I think total I've got around 100 feet of fence with one gate. Google tells me around $25-35 per foot is the contractor price.

Also what order did you go in? Grade, top soil, sprinklers, fence, sod?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #1005
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Guys.

I have 2 pot lights that have burned out, and this is the first time since the place was purchased that I need to change them. Anyway, I pull them off the roof and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the light bulbs out of the pot light bracket holder

Anyone have a suggestion on a store to take it to to try and get some help? I have tried googling the model and nothing comes up. I usually go to Canadian tire for stuff like this but I know they are useless...

The model is Capri Lighting CL4-AGBN
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #1006
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hey Guys.

I have 2 pot lights that have burned out, and this is the first time since the place was purchased that I need to change them. Anyway, I pull them off the roof and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the light bulbs out of the pot light bracket holder

Anyone have a suggestion on a store to take it to to try and get some help? I have tried googling the model and nothing comes up. I usually go to Canadian tire for stuff like this but I know they are useless...

Does it have a trim ring with torsion bars or similar?

NSFW!
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #1007
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Nm
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #1008
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hey Guys.

Ok, if this is the same light and yours is the GU10 adjustable gimble, it has a trim ring that should just pull down away from the can itself.

https://ontario.nedco.ca/medias/sys_...HOCLR4R_en.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #1009
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what it looks like. I can't figure out how to get the little silver arms that hold it down off.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #1010
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pulled it out of the roof, and the bulb was connected to a wire plugin.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1011
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like they should just rotate up.

Have you tried just yanking on the bulb?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #1012
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah. There are 2 silver arms that come out (if you look closely you can see one on the left) and hold it in place that I can't seem to figure out how to remove. If you rotate the bulb the arms cut into it almost.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #1013
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Tilt the bulb from the back while holding the bulb-aiming part still. The springs should release the bulb. Or basically push the bulb back out through the front.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #1014
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll give it a shot after work here, thanks!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #1015
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably shouldn't have lights on the roof, maybe move them to the ceiling. You'll find it'll be brighter inside now.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #1016
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #1017
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm installing some wall heaters at our cabin. Posting with the super spotty cell reception, so I apologize for keeping this terse.

Here's the relevant part of the wiring diagram:

We have standard 120/240 service with a 100 amp panel. The heater has 12/2 wire running to it from a thermostat. It's on a 20 amp breaker. Do I just attach the black wire to A, cap off C, and attach the white to B to run it in 750 watt mode? The L1 and L2 part is throwing me off.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #1018
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aegypticus, what the diagram is saying is you need 240 V for your heater to work properly. You need the two 'hots', 'L1' and 'L2' ("Line 1" and "Line 2") to get 240 V: you don't need a neutral. Go check the breaker in the panel; is it a double-pole (240 V)? If so, you're in business, and all you have to do is connect the black to 'A', white to 'B', ground-to-ground-to-ground, cap 'C', and you're good to go.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #1019
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Aegypticus, what the diagram is saying is you need 240 V for your heater to work properly. You need the two 'hots', 'L1' and 'L2' ("Line 1" and "Line 2") to get 240 V: you don't need a neutral. Go check the breaker in the panel; is it a double-pole (240 V)? If so, you're in business, and all you have to do is connect the black to 'A', white to 'B', ground-to-ground-to-ground, cap 'C', and you're good to go.
This is all correct, the only thing to add is if you want it to run at 1500W, then you put A to L1, B and C to L2, all the grounds together. 1500W at 240V is still only 6.25 amps so if you have a 240V 20A breaker (2 handles tied together which you need for this install either way) you'll be fine.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #1020
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's all kind of what I was thinking. This no neutral thing is new to me. I don't believe we planned for a double pole breaker, but I have to check.

I have some more questions now. The thermostats we have for the heaters are all rated for 3000 watt and 240 volts, but they only have 1 hot in and 1 hot out. The instructions showed to just attach the whites together. Does this sound like what you'd expect?

We're kind of in the middle of nowhere here and it might be difficult to get the correct breaker soon. What happens if you try to run something like this at 120 volts so we can get our inspection done and then swap the breaker later?

Regarding the amperage on the circuit, we actually have 3 heaters on this circuit totaling 2750 watts. We have another heating circuit wired similarly that will pull 2500 watts.

We're doing all new wiring ourselves in this place and my knowledge is probably a bit below where it should be for this kind of project, so we're learning it on the go. We pulled a self wire permit here in Manitoba and passed out rough in inspection. Getting close to calling for final. We even did most of the work ourselves for installing the new overhead service.

The funny thing is we didn't want to do any of the electrical ourselves, but it's almost impossible to get an electrician out here. We would have had to wait a minimum of 8 months, so here we are.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Time to go see what we have for breakers.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote