Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #21
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Another horrible 1st round draft pick by Calgary. We suck at drafting, unfortunately.
You make this sound like a recent thing. You don't think things have improved a lot? In fact the Flames chose Rasmus with the 2nd round pick they got for Sven!
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #22
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You know, even Jankowski at 21st that year wasn’t way outside what the others at that position have done. Maata was the consensus around there IIRC. And he has been a bit of a disappointment. The others from 21 onward are pretty underwhelming. Oddly, the picks above him are generally pretty good except for Yak, Reinhart and Koekkoek.

That leaves Bennett who for sure hasn’t lived up to his spot.
I remember a lot of posters wanting Teravainen.

IIRC Maattaa was the consensus after they traded down, but I could be wrong.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he will definitely be going to the oilers
Edit: Wait forgot about the cap hit.... he screwed
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Dim Jim set him up for life with that contract.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another horrible 1st round draft pick by Calgary. We suck at drafting, unfortunately.
2011 Draft

Sven
Granlund
Spoon
Johnny
Brossoit

That's 1,138 NHL GP from a single draft class, making it arguably the franchise's most productive draft of the century.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Baertschi was not a "horrible" pick. He was drafted #13 by Calgary in the 2011 draft, ranks #12 in points by forwards in the first round, and has played more NHL games and experienced more NHL success than twelve other of his fellow first round picks. At the time, and for the first two years after the draft Bertschi was on track to be an impact NHL player. Concussions and a developing sense of entitlement derailed his career, but these are the sorts of the things that can happen to any player.

The Draft is never a sure thing, but as has been argued by other posters, since drafting Baertschi the Flames have actually had a solid track record at identifying and selecting NHL talent: Johnny Gaudreau (2011, #104), Mark Jankowski (2012, #21) Brett Kulak (2012, #105), Sean Monahan (2013, #6), Sam Bennett (2014, #4), Rasmus Andersson (2015, #53), Oliver Kylington (2015, #60), Andrew Mangiapane (2015, #166), Matthew Tkachuk (2016, #6), Dillon Dube (2016, #66), Adam Fox (2016, #66), and Juso Valimaki (2017, #16).

Yeah, the Flames drafting is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I had no idea the Canucks had over 6 mil in cap hit tied up in Luongo, Spooner and Baertshi over this season and next.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #28
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wtf are you talking about? Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, TJ Brodie, Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Dube, Mangiapane, Backlund... do I need to go on? Our drafting has been quite above average over the last while.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doubtful, if a team wants to go that route they can just trade him for future considerations. Claiming a player off waivers costs teams money.
It’s $50,000 for a waiver claim which is nothing to these teams. It does not impact your cap situation or anything like that. It would be getting the player at no roster or draft pick cost. That future consideration still has to be something even a 7th round pick.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
It’s $50,000 for a waiver claim which is nothing to these teams. It does not impact your cap situation or anything like that. It would be getting the player at no roster or draft pick cost. That future consideration still has to be something even a 7th round pick.
Teams still have to abide by waiver priority. History shows that more often than not, teams are more content to trade for players than they are claiming them from waivers, which is actually quite rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a conundrum, because do you really want a guy who can't make the Canucks lineup ahead of Tim Schaller?

On the other hand, he has legitimate offensive skill, so why isn't he in that lineup ahead of a guy like Schaller?

This seems to me like a guy who belongs in the NHL somewhere in terms of overall talent, but his coach or GM (or both) doesn't want him on the team, for whatever reason.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #32
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp

Last edited by Canada 02; 12-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #33
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
while this may be true overall, the Flames draft 4 players out of 5 who made it to the NHL, including 3 who have played ~300 NHL games; only 3 other teams can say that
They also happened to draft arguably the best player in that draft in the 4th round

Last edited by Canada 02; 12-15-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Teams still have to abide by waiver priority. History shows that more often than not, teams are more content to trade for players than they are claiming them from waivers, which is actually quite rare.
Also sometimes it’s so they can send a player back in return too. Teams have to manage the 50 contract limit.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #35
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think he will definitely be going to the oilers
Edit: Wait forgot about the cap hit.... he screwed
I was already reading Capfriendly before visiting this thread (via another thread), and saw the Oilers cap situation. In agreement, that happily Sven can’t fit there.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #36
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Call me crazy but if we had the cap space I would be happy to welcome him back and see if he can rebound.

It would be quite a story for the team that drafted him to pick him up and his career gets back on track.

Baertschi at $3.3 million and having no cap space makes this impossible but it would be sweet if it worked out.

I could see Sven succeeding in places like Pittsburgh or Colorado but the cap hit will make it difficult for any teams to really be interested unless salary was going back the other way.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #37
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's a conundrum, because do you really want a guy who can't make the Canucks lineup ahead of Tim Schaller?

On the other hand, he has legitimate offensive skill, so why isn't he in that lineup ahead of a guy like Schaller?

This seems to me like a guy who belongs in the NHL somewhere in terms of overall talent, but his coach or GM (or both) doesn't want him on the team, for whatever reason.
* cap hit. Financially, Schaller cannot be swapped for Baestchie, as the Canucks are at the ceiling.
* Schaller can play thought the bottom 6/9. Baertschi is best top 6. Different types of wingers.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
You forget about the 50 contract limit though. Every team has one contract on their roster that they see as pretty much being of no value. So really trading a Buddy Robinson type is much more attractive than taking on a new contract plus the liabilities associated with the contract.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Wow I had no idea the Canucks had over 6 mil in cap hit tied up in Luongo, Spooner and Baertshi over this season and next.
And, the next next (21/22 $3mil for Luongo). Cue hysterical laughter.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #40
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Baertschi is on waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You know, even Jankowski at 21st that year wasn’t way outside what the others at that position have done. Maata was the consensus around there IIRC. And he has been a bit of a disappointment. The others from 21 onward are pretty underwhelming. Oddly, the picks above him are generally pretty good except for Yak, Reinhart and Koekkoek.

That leaves Bennett who for sure hasn’t lived up to his spot.

They should have stayed where the eff they were and drafted Teravainen like everyone said they should. A first line winger right there for the taking but they had to try to get fancy and “smart” and traded down to get a 2nd rounder that busted anyway. I frickin hate this team so much sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by icecube; 12-15-2019 at 01:02 PM.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post: