Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default so I might buy a used garage door

2nd hand.
Thinking through the logistics, I have no idea how I would transport it, 26' long panels, and if I would be able to install myself, or have to get someone to do it, and how much would that cost.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by DuffMan; 11-21-2019 at 10:49 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

26'? You sure about that? Mine is 18, and I thought that was the longest you could buy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, sorry had a typo it's 16'
Old 11-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, ok. Well a truck should have no problem with 16'. Or rent a Uhaul, or a trailer?

I installed mine myself, there is nothing overly difficult. What are you doing? Replacing yours? Or are you getting all the rails, springs etc?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah, ok. Well a truck should have no problem with 16'. Or rent a Uhaul, or a trailer?

I installed mine myself, there is nothing overly difficult. What are you doing? Replacing yours? Or are you getting all the rails, springs etc?
replacing, mine is old, ugly, wooden and crappy, this is newer, one dent, insulated, has windows and comes with a motor, even though I already have an existing one.

So, springs, rail already done, just the door really and the motor if it is > hp
Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 95% sure you will need to release the springs, and I'm not sure if you will need new ones if the door weight is different. I assume it is this one?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-garage-door-...6ft/1461804469

It says it is 9 feet tall, is yours? In any case you will need to at least adjust the springs, so read up on that, it is not complicated, but can be extremely dangerous so I'd make sure you are comfortable with that. The rest of it is pretty straight forward. You place the bottom panel, secure it with nails (hammered in the door frame, then bent over to hold it in place) then stack the next panel and repeat. You will need 2 people. Then you attach the hardware like rollers and hinges, which secures it all.

You could always get it all installed and have a pro do the springs, thoguh you will need them to come by and release the old ones. If they are old, you may as well just replace them at the time as well, as they aren't that expensive and do break with age.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm 95% sure you will need to release the springs, and I'm not sure if you will need new ones if the door weight is different. I assume it is this one?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-garage-door-...6ft/1461804469

It says it is 9 feet tall, is yours? In any case you will need to at least adjust the springs, so read up on that, it is not complicated, but can be extremely dangerous so I'd make sure you are comfortable with that. The rest of it is pretty straight forward. You place the bottom panel, secure it with nails (hammered in the door frame, then bent over to hold it in place) then stack the next panel and repeat. You will need 2 people. Then you attach the hardware like rollers and hinges, which secures it all.

You could always get it all installed and have a pro do the springs, thoguh you will need them to come by and release the old ones. If they are old, you may as well just replace them at the time as well, as they aren't that expensive and do break with age.
no, not that one, the one I am looking at is 8'.

Not sure dicking around with the spring is something I'm too keen on, I've already read up on that. So this might be something to get some garage door guys in for anyways.
I guess I could always ask them to pick up door from seller while they are at it.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The alternative, since you may replace the springs anyway, is to get this unit:

https://veterangaragedoor.com/parts/...spring-system/

Had I known before I started I would have gone this way. Takes the danger out of tensioning them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My garage door is really noisy (always has been but a bit louder now compared to 5 years ago). It's 7 years old. I've sprayed the chain but aside from that is there any annual maintenance that needs to be done? It works fine now just not sure if there is more I should be doing
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should also lube the track/rollers. Google what product to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to tighten all of the bolts on my exiting wooden one, they were all loose.
Not sure if the newer ones have bolts on the inside.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

how much cheaper is a second hand door that you want to phaff around with this? (and why would anyone want to sell one either, short of the house being demolished?).
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 18 foot door was $1800, from what I recall, from Rona. From a garage door company the same one was $2400, I think. That's for a well insulated one. So there could be good savings, but ya, also a hassle.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #14
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Installing the door itself isn't difficult assuming you can reuse existing hardware which I would assume is somewhat unlikely?

What would scare the hell out of me is that torsion spring. They are dangerous. I'd leave that to the pro's if you're not familiar with them and I'm very much a DIY kinda guy.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
how much cheaper is a second hand door that you want to phaff around with this? (and why would anyone want to sell one either, short of the house being demolished?).
$400 obo w motor. no idea why

Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should also lube the track/rollers. Google what product to use.
Out of curiosity, I google.d Damn. I occasionally use regular WD40. Looks like I should be buying the lithium grease WD40 or similar product per my googling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
$400 obo w motor. no idea why
That's like 1/4th the price of a new one. I can see why you're trying to go that route. I'd consider paying garage door guys to inspect/ pick it up and install for you. What's the worst they should charge? Like $500 for that service? You'd still be saving a ton. Plus as others have already said, screwing around with the springs isn't safe, so you should be calling a pro in anyways.

With those savings, personally, I'd also consider paying the garage door guys to completely replace the tracks and rollers. Almost every time I see new garage doors installed, I always wonder why the rails weren't swapped out (dinged, dented, shaky slight rust on occasion etc.). It can't be more than a few hundred bucks, can it?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
With those savings, personally, I'd also consider paying the garage door guys to completely replace the tracks and rollers. Almost every time I see new garage doors installed, I always wonder why the rails weren't swapped out (dinged, dented, shaky slight rust on occasion etc.). It can't be more than a few hundred bucks, can it?
yeah, these are the sort of questions I have rolling around in my head.
I'm very sure I am not touching the spring for starters.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #18
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Just did a full door replacement, including track etc. and it ran me 1800 brand new.

It took the guy 4-5 hours be himself to do, so some significant savings doing it this way.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like i paid about $2,000 for my door installed. i went with a good quality insultated door with windows.

for garge door lube, i bought some specific garge door lube from canadian tire. infeeling it it feels no different than other lubes - so who knows. I bought the can yrs ago, and lube up the track, rollers, and pull track 2x per year.

I make sure my vehicles are not in the garage when lubing as overspray can land on the vehicle