Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2022, 03:50 PM   #2601
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
48 new tracks for Mario Kart 8 is pretty fantastic, too! Overall a very good Direct.
IDK, Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014...the last of these DLC courses will come out in 2023.

Mario Kart 9?
Old 02-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #2602
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
IDK, Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014...the last of these DLC courses will come out in 2023.

Mario Kart 9?
To me this just means that there won’t be another Switch revision until 2024 at the earliest and they will try to squeeze more money out of Mario Kart 8 DX

While also working on Mario Kart 9 to be a launch title for the Switch 2 or what ever it is .

I would guess it will be a similar engine and will be able to reuse a lot of the work that goes into these tracks
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #2603
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Kart 8 is a Wii U game...nintendo fans are easily pleased I guess

You would think each generation of console would get at least one Mario Kart game not just a port
Old 02-12-2022, 12:58 AM   #2604
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why make a sequel to a game that’s still selling 7-8 million copies a year? DLC is a better call, especially when it’s all remastered style tracks. Then you have a different team working on all the new original ones in the meantime for when you actually need a sequel (to drive sales of a new platform).

It’s not like 48 new tracks is anything to sneeze at either, that’s crazy support and value for the price they’re asking. It literally doubles the courses.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #2605
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mario Kart 8 still looks and plays incredibly. I honestly don't even know what I'd want from MK9, 8 is nearly perfect

I'll happily pay $25 for a bunch of new tracks rather than $90 for a new version of the game
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #2606
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, me too. MK8 is easily the game we've played the most. It's nuts how much my wife and I still play it.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 12:10 PM   #2607
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone play Inside? Just saw an article that it’s down to $2. Not even sure if it’s Canadian $2 or not but the game sort of looks cool.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #2608
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Anyone play Inside? Just saw an article that it’s down to $2. Not even sure if it’s Canadian $2 or not but the game sort of looks cool.
Yes, it’s an absolute must play. I’m serious. At that price it’s a no brainer. It’s short (6-ish hours or so) but extremely good and very memorable.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #2609
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well thanks both for that, grabbed it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #2610
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Yeah, Inside and Limbo (the other game by the same developer) were cool games.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #2611
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Why make a sequel to a game that’s still selling 7-8 million copies a year? DLC is a better call, especially when it’s all remastered style tracks. Then you have a different team working on all the new original ones in the meantime for when you actually need a sequel (to drive sales of a new platform).

It’s not like 48 new tracks is anything to sneeze at either, that’s crazy support and value for the price they’re asking. It literally doubles the courses.
Yup they could have literally used the exact same game, switched the 48 courses in 8 Deluxe for the 48 remastered courses, called it Mario Kart 9 and charged $80 and everyone still would have bought it.

Providing these 48 new courses fairly cheap, or even free if you have the expansion pass, is actually quite customer friendly IMO
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #2612
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just a FYI... Triangle Strategy just released a new demo that lets you play up until the end of Chapter 3, this progress will transfer over when the game releases.

Early reviews are that it is a slow burner but shows a ton of promise with a lot of groundwork laid.

I'll be in my bunk.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #2613
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Trying not to start it while I finish up the post-story stuff to do in Arceus. Lots to do in the post game, including a real motivation to complete the pokedex!

Was working on that, then I thought to myself... I should have an alpha Gengar. Because:

Took a bit to find an alpha Ghastly, evolved him up, found a link cable in a space-time distortion, and bam alpha Gengar!

Also found out that shiny rates are much higher in outbreaks and there's a way to basically guarantee a shiny from an outbreak if you keep going with it long enough.

Plus there's still post story quests I haven't done because I keep getting distracted by oooo look there's an alpha Goodra brb.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #2614
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else watching Raised By Wolves thinking they took a lot of ideas from BOTW? I like it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #2615
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup they could have literally used the exact same game, switched the 48 courses in 8 Deluxe for the 48 remastered courses, called it Mario Kart 9 and charged $80 and everyone still would have bought it.

Providing these 48 new courses fairly cheap, or even free if you have the expansion pass, is actually quite customer friendly IMO
That's the thing. We bought the expansion pass because we would've bought the Animal Crossing thing separately anyway, and my kid (and me) want Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It was still overpriced, it felt a bit greasy, and Nintendo rightfully took a lot of flak for it.

But now I'm getting the Mario Kart tracks, which I would've bought separately as well. So it really isn't feeling too bad anymore. If they keep adding content like this, I'll probably just keep paying for it year over year. I'll have to, obviously, or I will lose that stuff, but I could also see them adding another system to the virtual console online stuff, and more games for N64 too.

And MK8 really is a good game. I will buy MK9 the day it is released, but that will likely be a launch title for the next generation of Switch. Until then, these tracks are a welcome injection of life into a game that is still being played (and bought) at a good rate.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #2616
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Having fun playing through Earthbound for the millionth time on the switch. A welcome addition to the SNES library on there. I have had retropie these last few years to cover the urge when it arises as before that I would still bring out my actual SNES and play the physical copy.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #2617
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Played through the demo of TS, really binged on it. Game is amazing.

It's a tribute to the games before it, for sure, but also stands on its own. I love how this studio is re inventing such a classic and popular genre.

Can't wait for the release.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #2618
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played about 90 mins and found it painfully boring. Granted only about 15 mins of that was the actual tactics gameplay, the rest was blurry sprites standing still spouting off story and character names with D-tier voice acting really not selling me on anything.

It moved to a hard pass for me. Switch will pick back up for me at the end of March with Kirby and then Advance Wars hitting a few weeks apart.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #2619
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I played about 90 mins and found it painfully boring. Granted only about 15 mins of that was the actual tactics gameplay, the rest was blurry sprites standing still spouting off story and character names with D-tier voice acting really not selling me on anything.

It moved to a hard pass for me. Switch will pick back up for me at the end of March with Kirby and then Advance Wars hitting a few weeks apart.
I noticed there was a ton of dialogue but it didn’t seem excessive for a JRPG. The voice acting is a little weak, especially Benedict. I might use Japanese audio when the game releases. The sprites don’t seem as defined as the ones in Octopath.

None of this is a deal breaker and I really enjoyed the gameplay so I’ll be buying it. Advance Wars is the game I’m really excited for.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #2620
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I noticed there was a ton of dialogue but it didn’t seem excessive for a JRPG. The voice acting is a little weak, especially Benedict. I might use Japanese audio when the game releases. The sprites don’t seem as defined as the ones in Octopath.

None of this is a deal breaker and I really enjoyed the gameplay so I’ll be buying it. Advance Wars is the game I’m really excited for.
Thats the problem for me with games like this, if the story isn't just amazing and or the voice acting is great I end up skipping the scenes and then become non engaged with the game and never finish it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote