Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #401
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Weird my inbox appears to be empty
Don't worry - the three amigos will go fishing soon!

We should set aside some weekdays in June, July and August.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #402
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Weird my inbox appears to be empty
Of course you are welcome as well. I'm not very focused due to it being SCF for my team (sorry). It is such a great spot, plenty of room for another
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #403
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
That looks like a run in with a big barbed treble hook. Call me elitist but I don't think hurling giant trebles is very sporting, and a lot more likely to be fatal for the fish.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #404
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
That looks like a run in with a big barbed treble hook. Call me elitist but I don't think hurling giant trebles is very sporting, and a lot more likely to be fatal for the fish.
I know, poor thing, it looked like his eye was barely hanging on : (
Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #405
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Slava, a pound of bacon is new to me! I did see some people catching walleye at little bow PP last year with breakfast sausages, so I guess it works. We usually use bait fish, which is allowed at Pigeon this year too.

Do you guys ever research using the Bathymetry maps available on the AB gov site for specific lakes to find some good spots for fishing? I found the Pigeon lake map, just curious what you guys think are good spots in general. I have found a few places that have steep drop offs next to fairly shallow areas. So drops to 10m from about 3 or 4m, would it be good to troll along those edges?

Anyway, I am still pretty new to all this fishing and learning what to use for each species and from a kayak, this will be my first year using any sort of boat.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I took a peak at this map, I am assuming you mean this guy?

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...ryMap-2005.pdf

PL looks to be a pretty good size lake I imagine you could find some hogs in there even though it doesn't get very deep. If I had a boat I would be heading straight for that sunken island just east of the middle boat launch. I'd just do passes right over top of it back and forth till I found where they are sitting, and I guarantee they are sitting near there.

However, you being in a kayak, not sure I'd want to be out in the middle of that lake (especially if it has heavy boat traffic) so another good spot is just south of the launch there. There is an underwater point where it extends out at the 5 meter depth, troll back and forth over that like 8-20 feet. Should keep you close to shore and safe but still able to tackle some structure. Another good point up by Itaska beach. I'd bet good money you will see a string of boats anchored and jigging south of Argentia beach between the point and that sunken island as well.

Stay away from the south end of that lake, to shallow and gradual of a drop. You want the severe drop offs. Also try and fish at dawn and dusk if possible, dusk is especially deadly. Walters are night time hunters so the darker it gets the more active they become. During the heat of the day they generally just stay in the cold water.

edit: I dug up some 'pics or shop' for you, spoilered for size.

Spoiler!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 06-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #406
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

question, trying out fly fishing this weekend have never been before.

wife is buying me a flyrod starting package and I have 3 9' leaders.

How long should I tie a tippet onto the end of this leader?

any good spots on Highwood river near highwood house or is anywhere about the same?

Thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #407
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post

any good spots on Highwood river near highwood house or is anywhere about the same?

Thanks,
Typically about 4 feet of tippet. As a beginner you will want to avoid going too long, particularly if it is windy. Starting out, you could even avoid using tippet if your leader is light enough (5x-6x).

Highwood is a decent river, but starting out, I would be tempted to put you on smaller, less intimidating water to get your casting, mending, and hook setting down. Etherington Creek or Cataract Creek, just south of the Highwood on the trunk road, hold native cutties, and are easily accessed. Nothing of size, but lots of fish to get you "hooked". Great little beaver dams on Etherington, about 1km upstream from the trunk road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #408
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Leader is 4X.

I'll just tie the fly right on the end of that to start

Thanks
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #409
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post

Thanks,
I hope that your wife didn't buy you a junk starter set. I say that with the nicest intentions; some of them are horrible and an exercise in frustration because the reel (in particular) causes trouble and for a beginner won't want to have you going back!

Quote:
Typically about 4 feet of tippet. As a beginner you will want to avoid going too long, particularly if it is windy. Starting out, you could even avoid using tippet if your leader is light enough (5x-6x).

Highwood is a decent river, but starting out, I would be tempted to put you on smaller, less intimidating water to get your casting, mending, and hook setting down. Etherington Creek or Cataract Creek, just south of the Highwood on the trunk road, hold native cutties, and are easily accessed. Nothing of size, but lots of fish to get you "hooked". Great little beaver dams on Etherington, about 1km upstream from the trunk road.
I'm not sure that I would skip the tippet altogether. Just tie less on if you're worried about the length and you should be fine. The reason I would say that is because you end up with flies breaking off or getting caught in trees or you just want to change flies. Next thing you know you're halfway up a tapered leader and not catching any fish because of it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #410
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Slava,
I second this. I am a beginner at fly fishing and it is definitely worth it to even use a foot or two of tippet to save your leaders. Due to changing flies out, getting caught (usually on stuff behind me, not in the water!) and tangles in the line.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #411
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Angelamc, Slava and I went to ES1 for opening day.

These two Brook Trout were caught in Wilkinson Creek, tributary of Cataract Creek. We thought we were fishing in the latter. It was cold and windy, and no fish were rising.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #412
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Slava,
I second this. I am a beginner at fly fishing and it is definitely worth it to even use a foot or two of tippet to save your leaders. Due to changing flies out, getting caught (usually on stuff behind me, not in the water!) and tangles in the line.
I would argue that anything under two feet is likely hurting your chances if you are fishing dries. That knot would be way too close to the fly you are presenting. Under 2, tippets through.

Fishing with a buddy on the Crow, he was getting frustrated that I was getting fish after fish, and he was struggling. I look one look at his leader, and he had this pathetic little 12 inch piece of tippet dangling on it. So I asked him, "How's your tippet?". He grumbled, tied a fresh piece of tippet, and almost immediately hooked-up.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #413
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We also checked out the Highwood River. The stretch between Longview and Eden Valley was crowded - 3-5 cars at every pull out. It was cold, crowded, and we only had one fish rise to a dry fly. We went to Cataract Creek from there.

After Cataract Creek, we decided to explore Highwood River above Highwood House. We found two great runs for some great rainbow action. Around 5:00 pm they started rising. I had lots of takes, but had a couple get off the hook. Angelamc caught two beauties on a stonefly nymph. She won the day for best fish and most fish.

Pro-tip: big fish can hold in much faster water than you might expect. I can be more specific about where we were if you send PM, and promise to catch and release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #414
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice nails Slava.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #415
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would argue that anything under two feet is likely hurting your chances if you are fishing dries. That knot would be way too close to the fly you are presenting. Under 2, tippets through.

Fishing with a buddy on the Crow, he was getting frustrated that I was getting fish after fish, and he was struggling. I look one look at his leader, and he had this pathetic little 12 inch piece of tippet dangling on it. So I asked him, "How's your tippet?". He grumbled, tied a fresh piece of tippet, and almost immediately hooked-up.
Well that's exactly why I wouldn't use just straight leader onto the fly. I think that chances of actually catching fish are diminished with that. Spend a few bucks on some good tippet material and a knot tying tool (I would refer you to the power forum on here for a quality supplier and we just so happen to have knot tying tools in stock!) and do things properly.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #416
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Nice nails Slava.
Funny for two reasons - one that Slava has nice nails, and that you think he caught any fish.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #417
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's just the designated fish holder.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #418
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
He's just the designated fish holder.
I think that I only saw one fish, never mind catching any! It's alright I prefer to catch them when no one is around...they're always so much bigger that way!

I don't wear that shade of nail polish because I'm more of a winter (?)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #419
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I think that I only saw one fish, never mind catching any! It's alright I prefer to catch them when no one is around...they're always so much bigger that way!

I don't wear that shade of nail polish because I'm more of a winter (?)
I believe the colour is called 'Pittsburgh Gold'!
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #420
mrbanffgirl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

went camping out by longview this weekend, and the highwood was fantastic!! all told for 3 days fishing was 20+ fish (mix of big cutties, medium rainbow/cutbows and some whitefish) biggest cutty was about 18 inches. not alot of people, although there were a couple of holes getting hammered due to people not wanting to wade, which was fine by me! 10/10 on the highwood this weekend!

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing